GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

05 Purchase - Info Source For Options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-10, 12:49 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 05 Purchase - Info Source For Options?

I've settled on an 05 due to the h.p. and mpg increase, while keeping in a lower price segment. Is there a thread here or other source that can give me a concise list of what options were available, and how they were paired (for instance, does a Mark Levinson system always mandate NAV (it appears NAV is available without Levinson), and if so does it always have a backup camera? I have a multitude of questions, and hate to ask for a repost of stuff that's been covered before. But if you care to answer, here some are;

Is KDSS worth it? I like it, but wonder about long-term endurance.

Is the selectable locking diff a center diff? Could it be optioned by itself, is it always inlcuded with KDSS?

I'm only considering units with the 3d row seat. Will they have rear air controls automatically, or is that a separate option? What is the reasonable size limit for short trips in the third row? I've got girls 2-9-14, and am guessing I have a few years where it's okay for at least one of them back there?

Is the Lexus DVD system okay, and independent of the sound system? I'm leaning toward a Levinson system up front (would not alter it, expect to get iPod interface), and just doing stand-alone headrest systems for the kids entertainment. But if it has factory DVD, do I pass, or consider it a good bonus? Any way to watch DVDs on the NAV screen, regardless of rear DVD options (yes, I am fully ware of the legalities and common sense limitations to such capabilities)?

Do heated/cooled seats come in a package, or are they independent options? Same with the roof rack and spoiler?

Do they all have a moonroof?

Any problem areas that require special scrutiny, including anything that would be worth upping the year to an 06? Again, I'm price-sensitive, but not enough so to forgo the bennies that differentiate an 04 from an 05.

What's your mpg experience with 05s and up?

Thanks for your guidance!
Old 08-23-10, 03:31 PM
schouse13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope these help.

http://www.toyota120.com/GenDocs/GX2005%20broschure.pdf

http://www.toyota120.com/html/lexus_gx470.html
Old 08-23-10, 06:58 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by zippinbye
I've settled on an 05 due to the h.p. and mpg increase, while keeping in a lower price segment. Is there a thread here or other source that can give me a concise list of what options were available, and how they were paired (for instance, does a Mark Levinson system always mandate NAV (it appears NAV is available without Levinson), and if so does it always have a backup camera? I have a multitude of questions, and hate to ask for a repost of stuff that's been covered before. But if you care to answer, here some are;

Is the selectable locking diff a center diff? Could it be optioned by itself, is it always inlcuded with KDSS?

I'm only considering units with the 3d row seat. Will they have rear air controls automatically, or is that a separate option? What is the reasonable size limit for short trips in the third row? I've got girls 2-9-14, and am guessing I have a few years where it's okay for at least one of them back there?

Is the Lexus DVD system okay, and independent of the sound system? I'm leaning toward a Levinson system up front (would not alter it, expect to get iPod interface), and just doing stand-alone headrest systems for the kids entertainment. But if it has factory DVD, do I pass, or consider it a good bonus? Any way to watch DVDs on the NAV screen, regardless of rear DVD options (yes, I am fully ware of the legalities and common sense limitations to such capabilities)?

Do heated/cooled seats come in a package, or are they independent options? Same with the roof rack and spoiler?

Any problem areas that require special scrutiny, including anything that would be worth upping the year to an 06? Again, I'm price-sensitive, but not enough so to forgo the bennies that differentiate an 04 from an 05.

Thanks for your guidance!

1)Levinson comes with NAV and rear camera after 03.
2)I dont have KDSS so I dont have an opinion on it.
3)I'm thinking anyone over 5' tall would be a little uncomfortable in the 3rd row so most kids and early teens are o.k.
4)rear DVD would be nice. I have the aftermarket headrest ones and they are fine.
5)heated seats are standard equip. not sure about cooled- I dont have them on my 04.
6)all have roof racks. rear spoilers are an option- but most seem to have them
7)All have moonroofs
8)I have an 04 and besides the "claim" of more horsepower and MPG's there is NO difference than 05. The biggest differences start in 08 with clear turn signals and darker wood appts. in the interior. I wouldn't limit the year, They are all beautiful, just depends on how they were taken care of. GOOD LUCK
Old 08-23-10, 07:49 PM
stl2chi
Rookie

Default a couple of your ? answered

ABSOLUTELY.... TRUCK RIDES MUCH BETTER, HANDLES BETTER IN TURNS.
I BELIEVE IT IS A CENTER DIFF
KIDS SHOULD BE FINE AS LONG AS THEY ARE UNDER 5 FEET... STARTS GETTING CRAMPED SINCE NO LEG ROOM
I BELIEVE AC COMES WITH THIRD ROW OPTION

COOLED SEATS ARE NO AVAILABLE ON FIRST GEN GX

NEVER SEEN ONE WITHOUT A MOONROOF... I GUESS ITS POSSIBLE
I HAVE 70K... ONLY AREAS TO LOOK FOR : THE DRIVE TRAIN CLUNK AND REAR HEIGHT SENSORS...
ABOUT 19 ON HIGHWAY... 16 MIXED
Thanks for your guidance![/QUOTE]

GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-24-10, 10:15 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, just what I was looking for, especially the links from Schouse. I think I have all the answers I was looking for.

Do others besides ROSCOGX470 have the same opinion regarding h.p. and mpg between 04/05, not really being worthy of consideration?
Old 08-24-10, 10:44 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking about selling 04 and buying 08, but mine has only 46k miles and it's in A+++ condition. I test drove 2008 I didnt feel any difference in HP except the interior has darker wood, AUX output, bluetooth, (not compatible with Iphone). Exterior has chrome handles, brushed inserts in roofracks. 2006 and up has VVTI engine that supposed to increase the HP.
Old 08-28-10, 12:54 PM
Katizzo
Driver School Candidate

KDSS WORTH IT!!!!!

Definitely try and find a car with it. I looked for a long time to find this option but was pleased I did. I drove both many times and always liked the more composed handling with the KDSS (but I'm a sports car guy too)...