GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GPS NAV NAVIGATION gets lost (no signal)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-10, 04:29 PM
pgmtls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy GPS NAV NAVIGATION gets lost (no signal)

My 2004 GX470 keeps getting lost due to the fact that there is no satelite signal, ever. I've seen several posts on this and other sites regarding this issue, but never any resolution. (with the exception of the problem being caused by a third party device which I do not have installed) I've torn the dash apart just to be sure everything is connected properly. Does anyone have a schematic with a diagram of the wiring system from the head unit to antenna or have any troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks

terry
Old 09-09-10, 07:39 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have tinted windows?
Old 09-09-10, 08:05 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats not going to stop anything? I have tinted windows and no issues at all.--I dont think this is going to be a cheap fix any way you look at it. Have Lexus Diag the issue--usually and hour of time 90 bucks to tell you whats wrong then you get the part and replace it for much cheaper then the dealer.
Old 09-10-10, 03:47 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Booyah
Thats not going to stop anything? I have tinted windows and no issues at all.--I dont think this is going to be a cheap fix any way you look at it. Have Lexus Diag the issue--usually and hour of time 90 bucks to tell you whats wrong then you get the part and replace it for much cheaper then the dealer.
The OEM tint will not affect the GPS signal. However, some metallic tints have been reported to interfere with radio/GPS signals. So, I should clarify, has the owner added additional tint to the GX and is the tint metallic?
Old 09-10-10, 09:38 AM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having this issue intermittently on mine, and it was getting more and more frequent. Of course, as Murphy's law would dictate, the nav would always get lost when I was actually using it for directions to someplace I wasn't familiar with.

I followed instructions that I found on here to get into the diagnostic menu, and there was an option in there to reset or re-initialize the system. I did that, and haven't had an issue in months.
Old 09-10-10, 09:53 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, from the owner's manual:

NOTICE
The installation of window tinting may
obstruct the GPS signals. Most window
tinting contains some metallic content
that will interfere with GPS signal reception.
We advise against the use of window
tinting on vehicles equipped with
navigation systems.

INFORMATION
If your vehicle cannot receive GPS signals,
you can correct the current position
manually. For information on setting
the current position calibration, see
page 79.
Old 09-10-10, 04:20 PM
pgmtls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyone replies. I do not have tinted windows beyond what was provided from the factory. I have read the owners manual from beginning to end and continually perform the current position calibration. Is what I'm looking for more specifically is how to get the satelite icon to appear beneath the compass icon on the upper left hand corner of the GPS screen. That icon never appears at all indicating that there is never a signal. Makes me think poerhaps there is a break in the antenna wire or that the antenna has been damaged somehow. The vehicle was in pretty rough shape when I got it, so anything is possible. The windsheild has been replaced.