GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

A way to have Foglights on only!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-10, 11:47 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default A way to have Foglights on only!!

Has anyone figured this out yet, as to only run the foglights only or maybe with the parking lights on--but no headlights?
Old 09-12-10, 12:30 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Booyah

Has anyone figured this out yet, as to only run the fog lights only or maybe with the parking lights on--but no headlights?
I'm sure it can be done. I just did it with my GX 460. However, the GX 470 and the GX 460 are wired a little different.

If I still had my GX 470, which I gave to my daughter, this is what I would do.

I would have my DRLs turned-off by the dealer. Then I would make my Fog Lights my DRLs. From an Ignition Source, I would power the Fog Lights.

The Fog Lights would turn on whenever the engine was running, even at night. If I wanted to drive with only the Fog Lights, I would turn on the Parking Lights, so I would have Tail Lights.

~ Cap
Old 09-13-10, 06:47 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It has been discussed before, (HEY Booyah, it was you!!!) but just the same.

I can't recall all the details at the moment, but I looked into it some time back and discovered that the fogs are tied to the headlights relay, ie. if the headlights are not on, you will not get the fogs to light.

You will have to modify the harness to power the fogs independently. Also, ECU will turn off your headlights and fogs when you turn on your high beams (that's compliant with the DOT regulations). If you want your fogs to stay on (perhaps you installed HIDs for fogs), you have to reconnect some wires by the multi-function switch in the steering column.

Check out this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...lights-on.html
Old 09-13-10, 10:35 AM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by gsobol

I can't recall all the details at the moment, but I looked into it some time back and discovered that the fogs are tied to the headlights relay, ie. if the headlights are not on, you will not get the fogs to light.

You will have to modify the harness to power the fogs independently. Also, ECU will turn off your headlights and fogs when you turn on your high beams (that's compliant with the DOT regulations). If you want your fogs to stay on (perhaps you installed HIDs for fogs), you have to reconnect some wires by the multi-function switch in the steering column.

gsobol:

I've been giving my previous suggestion some thought.

Because Booyah lives in Alaska and I believe that DRLs are mandatory, I now suggest that he not ask for them to be turned-off.

However, I suggest that he install a toggle switch from the Ignition source, so that he can turn off the Fogs when desired. Otherwise, the Fogs will remain on when he selects to turn on his High Beams.

During the day, his regular DRLs and his Fogs will act as DRLs. Unless he decides to turn off the Fogs via the toggle switch.

During the night, his Fogs will always be on, unless he decides to turn them off via the toggle switch.

You can check on my GX 460 installation here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-second-generation/515798-fog-lights-as-drl.html

~ Cap
Old 09-13-10, 10:55 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm--Are the DLR's the orange turn signal lights? Im sure I can have them turned off if I ask
Old 09-13-10, 11:10 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Capirato
However, I suggest that he install a toggle switch from the Ignition source, so that he can turn off the Fogs when desired. Otherwise, the Fogs will remain on when he selects to turn on his High Beams.

During the day, his regular DRLs and his Fogs will act as DRLs. Unless he decides to turn off the Fogs via the toggle switch.

During the night, his Fogs will always be on, unless he decides to turn them off via the toggle switch.
That's essentially correct. There is really no other way to do it. If you want to make minimal alterations and use the original light and fog switches, it seems to be impossible due to body ECU getting in the way and the relay setup. If you run your own power (harness, switch, relays) than it's doable. Just locate switched power source, so when you turn the car off, the fogs turn off as well. And yes, keep your DRLs on, no point screwing around with them (they don't impact your fogs at all in any way).

Side note: I have installed HID kits for both low beams and fogs. What I have noticed was that at night, when I flashed my high beams, either one, or both fogs refused to re-light (due to short interruption of power - ignitors would not fire). After which, if I turned the fogs off for approx 2 minutes and turn them back on they would re-light just fine. That was really annoying. I started analyzing the wiring schematics and realized that there was a way to keep the fogs on even when flashing/using high beams (I outlined the procedure in the previously attached thread). I decided that was enough for what I needed - it was neat, simple and it didn't cost me anything! I didn't see sense in rewiring the whole fogs harness as well as mounting additional toggle switch and relay(s) in order to have my fogs on without my headlights (simply too much trouble - and not worth the additional expense). Having said that, I believe it would be possible to reroute the power and also to use the factory fog switch on the multifunction stick, it's just a function of where there is a will, there is a way :-)

Cheers.

Last edited by gsobol; 09-13-10 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-13-10, 09:12 PM
Capirato
Racer

That's essentially correct. There is really no other way to do it. If you want to make minimal alterations and use the original light and fog switches, it seems to be impossible due to body ECU getting in the way and the relay setup. If you run your own power (harness, switch, relays) than it's doable. Just locate switched power source, so when you turn the car off, the fogs turn off as well. And yes, keep your DRLs on, no point screwing around with them (they don't impact your fogs at all in any way).

Side note: I have installed HID kits for both low beams and fogs. What I have noticed was that at night, when I flashed my high beams, either one, or both fogs refused to re-light (due to short interruption of power - ignitors would not fire). After which, if I turned the fogs off for approx 2 minutes and turn them back on they would re-light just fine. That was really annoying. I started analyzing the wiring schematics and realized that there was a way to keep the fogs on even when flashing/using high beams (I outlined the procedure in the previously attached thread). I decided that was enough for what I needed - it was neat, simple and it didn't cost me anything! I didn't see sense in rewiring the whole fogs harness as well as mounting additional toggle switch and relay(s) in order to have my fogs on without my headlights (simply too much trouble - and not worth the additional expense). Having said that, I believe it would be possible to reroute the power and also to use the factory fog switch on the multifunction stick, it's just a function of where there is a will, there is a way :-)

Cheers.
gsobol.....

With the procedure I outlined, if a person wants to use their Fogs as DRLs and not want that short interruption of power when flashing the High Beams, just make sure that the Fogs are OFF, via their switch.

The reason for the toggle switch in my installation of the module in my GX 460 was so that the system returns to OEM when the switch is toggled.

I understand that some States require an inspection of the Lighting System. California does not, but I was doing the mod as a challenge.

~ Cap
Old 09-13-10, 10:44 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

I reread your post in the other thread..lol

GSOBOL Stated below--

If you want minimum modification, you have to get to the combination switch in the steering column. Unplug the plug from the combination switch and pull the red/white cable from position 17. Connect it to the white/black in position 16. Red/white cable is much thinner, white black is much thicker. That's it.

SO doing this simple wire swap will let me turn Fogs on by themselves or with parking lights on(switch in first position)

There are three screws securing the plastic steering column cover, two are in the front (turn the steering wheel 90 degrees left and right to see/access them) and one is on the bottom. When you try to pull the cable out of the combination switch plug you have to lift the flat cover on the top of the plug (that's there to secure the prongs from accidentally falling out of the plug) and you have to use a tiny screwdriver to lift the latch holding the prong inside the plug and push the prong out of the plug.(access it from the connector side, not cable side) I hope I'm explaining this clearly, if you ever taken any plugs apart, automotive, computer, or others, you now what I mean.

I can confirm this is a working mod. This also allows you to turn the fogs on and off with the existing fogs switch. This mod will also cause your fogs to flash along with the highs and lows when you flash your high beams when the lights are in the off position.

Now, as I outlined above, it looks like all the lights power is controlled via the headlight relay. I guess this was done to let the body ecu control the lights??? I don't know, but it's not possible in current setup to run the fog lights without the headlights, unless you run your own wiring. You would have to locate the junction connector 7 & 8 and look for a red/yellow wire in location E J8. This supplies the (+) power to the fogs relay once the headlight relay is on. You would have to connect this wire to another source of power i.e. position lights.
Old 09-14-10, 09:50 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Booyah

SO doing this simple wire swap will let me turn Fogs on by themselves or with parking lights on(switch in first position)
Unfortunately, NO. The way original wiring is done in the GX presents multiple problems to an elegant solution (i.e. no additional toggle switches). I'll try to outline:

Problem 1: "Combination switch" problem
The way the combination switch is wired, the foglight switch delivers the ground to the fog lights relay only when the light control switch is in the head (low beam) position. High beam steady/flash will interrupt that circuit.

Problem 2: Fog light relay
While the ground for the fog light relay is routed via the combination switch, the power for the realy's coil is routed via the head relay (incidentaly the power for the high beams is routed via the same relay). If the head relay is off, there is no way for the fog lights to be turned on, period.

Solution to Problem 1, I have outlined before.

Solution to Problem 2 is more complex. You can do what ~Cap has suggested, ie. install a toggle switch that will switch between your alternate switched source of power, and original source of power. This way with a toggle of a switch you can go back to OEM configuration. Or, you could hard wire if you do not have the desire to go back to original configuration (although as ~Cap suggested, it may be necessary from the point of inspection). You could locate junction connector 7 & 8, you are looking for a Red/Yellow cable (pin E J8), or by the fog relay (same color combination). You would have to place the toggle switch on that cable.

If you implement both solutions, you will achieve the desired effect with no additional switches in the cockpit (providing you will place the toggle switch under the hood)

(You can refer to the wiring diagrams in the original thread)
Old 09-28-10, 05:13 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

capirato / gsbol!

Take a look at this tacoma write up on the foglight mod--does this look like it will work with the GX? http://mouser.org/projects/tacoma/foglights_mod/

Here is the link to the 2-PDF wiring diagram files that were given to me as well for the GX (post 5-6)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...lights-on.html

Thanks for looking~!
Old 09-28-10, 09:02 PM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Booyah, you dont have to go this way at all, save all this time and maintain the original, by replacing the Multiswitch Control, which is the same for Prado , All the wires get connected to the harness connected , so no splicing. You dont touch the ECU. The Multi s/w steering control of the Prado has got an additional rotation to move to the Fog Light These are induvidually controlled minus the headlamp function. Lemme see if i can arrange for the snap, we had one done on my friends GX , but he has sold it, lemme see if i can get hold of more info. All I remember he has installed an additional Fog Relay. The ECU get re-programmed, by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, you will have MIL warning, with three flashes and thats it.
Old 09-28-10, 09:13 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mann777
Booyah, you dont have to go this way at all, save all this time and maintain the original, by replacing the Multiswitch Control, which is the same for Prado , All the wires get connected to the harness connected , so no splicing. You dont touch the ECU. The Multi s/w steering control of the Prado has got an additional rotation to move to the Fog Light These are induvidually controlled minus the headlamp function. Lemme see if i can arrange for the snap, we had one done on my friends GX , but he has sold it, lemme see if i can get hold of more info. All I remember he has installed an additional Fog Relay. The ECU get re-programmed, by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, you will have MIL warning, with three flashes and thats it.

Sounds good Mann~! see what you can dig up please. The MIL warning will go away correct and not stay on?

Do you know what the part number is?