GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HID Install Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-10, 05:47 AM
koehljl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HID Install Issues

Hello,

I'm new to this club as I just purchased a used 2004 GX470. Love the car! The driver side low beam was burned out when I bought it so I decided to upgrade to HIDs. I bought the H11 6000K conversion kit from DDM tuning and am having some issues.

1) The driver side is still out. I think I connected the wiring backwards and might have blown the HID light. The passenger side works great. Can you blow the HID by having the wiring backwards?

2) My fog lights don't work now. I'm thinking I might have blown a fuse during/after installation of the HIDs...I'm checking tonight to make sure.

3) General question - do I need the error code eliminator as part of the assembly/install?

4) The hook up to the existing H11 plug requires 2 pins to be inserted then I needed to put electrical tape around to secure (vs. other connections that have plug and play). Is this typical?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John
Old 10-04-10, 11:45 AM
mann777

Received 65 Likes on 31 Posts

1) The driver side is still out. I think I connected the wiring backwards and might have blown the HID light. The passenger side works great. Can you blow the HID by having the wiring backwards?
Ans - Nope it does'nt, the fuse would have blown out, just replace the fuse and for sure you have done the wiring properly check the harness connector correctly.

2) My fog lights don't work now. I'm thinking I might have blown a fuse during/after installation of the HIDs...I'm checking tonight to make sure.

Ans - Was it working earlier, as there is no relationship to the Foglite and HID. Anyways check the Fuse under the Driver Foot area, and replace the 10A Fuse.

3. 3) General question - do I need the error code eliminator as part of the assembly/install?

Ans - You dont need for GX, unless you cluster is lit up with Christmas lights.

The last Question, you dont need to as the harness once connected to the H11 OEM socket, would bury all your doubts. My Gut feeling you have reversed the Connectors and that is why you are having difficulty in fitting the harness connectors to the OEM and now you plan to remove the PIN and tape down. ( Bad Job) you may hv sparks flying.
Run down your connection slowly and you will acheive the result.
Cheers
Old 10-04-10, 01:19 PM
koehljl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks mann. Here are some more thoughts.

1) I'll check the fuse and see if I blew it.
2) Fog lights worked before install, so I'll check the fuse on this too.
3) I'll try the install without the error codes modules.
4) See the install pdf I attached. I've got the HIDs with the loose pins. Can I buy at connector that would house the pins for me and make for more of a plug and play?

Thanks again.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
h8911install2 (2).pdf (668.1 KB, 473 views)
Old 10-04-10, 04:24 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some add'l answers as I have a HID kit too (from xenondepot.com though)

2) Fog lights worked before install, so I'll check the fuse on this too.
Check the bulbs too. After I did the HID install, the first time I used my fogs I blew the pax side bulb. Then the first time w/ my trailer hooked up, I blew both bulbs. Happened 1x more on both sides but hasn't since (3 years?). Weird but check the bulbs just in case...
3) I'll try the install without the error codes modules.
Not sure what you're asking here or implying other than you also have multiple CELs or dash warning lights. If so, you have another issue but your lights should still be ok to work. Did you test drivers side before installing HID? Just swap the working bulb from the pax side to test. If no go, you have another issue (fuse or relay?)
4) See the install pdf I attached. I've got the HIDs with the loose pins. Can I buy at connector that would house the pins for me and make for more of a plug and play?
Not readily available that I'm aware of but w/o it, you're kit really isn't P-N-P as you're finding out. You could possibly try Steve at xenondepot.com (but his then has a sealed plug to the bulbs). Or using a dremel cut off wheel, cut the base of the halogen H11 bulbs you have and solder the pin/wires from your bulbs into it. Just a thought but will be a PITA if you replace bulbs later. Either way, I wouldn't trust just the electrical tape to keep corrosion out or keep a secure connection...

Good luck
Old 10-04-10, 05:01 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

4) The hook up to the existing H11 plug requires 2 pins to be inserted then I needed to put electrical tape around to secure (vs. other connections that have plug and play). Is this typical?

You get what you pay for. Better kits are true plug and play with standard connectors that lock in.
Old 10-05-10, 07:52 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

koehljl - If you can't figure it out, send me a PM and I will do my best to help you out.

Steve
Old 10-05-10, 03:43 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
koehljl - If you can't figure it out, send me a PM and I will do my best to help you out.

Steve
for Steve! He helped me resolve my HID install issue!
Old 10-06-10, 08:00 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

:-) My pleasure redrocks.

koehljl - Pm replied.

Steve