GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Automatic Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 09:17 AM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Automatic Folding Mirrors

On my recent trip to the Aussie Land - Melbourne, where the Prado's are highest selling vehicle from the Toyota fleet, And guess what I happen to see a Prado which was a limited Edition, And happen to see the Owner of the car getting into the car, And the mirrors unfolding, I was bit curious and went and approached and got to ask him the details. He was happy to share the details. The model was 2009 Prado Limited Edition VX, the exact look of GX except for the Engine and ergonomics. He showed me this was the OEM, It is linked to the option taken while on delivery. One is Ignition Key and other one is via Manual s/w . Now this is located exactly parallel to the Current GX470 Mirror adjustment. What he had was both. Now comes the real part. Whenever the truck is parked, all he had to do is the to Fold in, which is done via the s/w. ( here i was trying to remember that GX does have a black switch slot maybe this was planned but never put in production, so this wass ideal to have this inserted without much effort) Now coming back the Fold in not automated. But the fold out is via the key when the key is inserted, and turned to ACC, Wow the mirror fold out was beauty.
I did not have my phone to take the shots I wish i had. I was hell bent to get to know if this was only introduced for the Aussie Land. I went to a Toyota dealer in Victoria state. And met the Spare part Manager. And he indeed says yes this was introduced to Models in Australlia and Middle East Region. And only to Limited Edition top of the Range ( did not understand what he meant). Anyways my curiousity increased and I ask him whether this would seamlessly fit in the GX470. He was unaware of the details. He called his Foreman and the foreman said, it was only a straight wiring from the Motor Assy which is within the Housing to the switch and the Ignition. I did ask him the part whether the ECU would be part of the control, he said NO, the connection is via the power module which is currently available as the Tilt Mechanism. Bingo ! My next target was availability and Price. And he gave me the Part Numbers. 87910-61410(RHS/87940-61410(LHS). This comes completely with the housing which is Mirror Steel finish. And the s/w ....I have misplaced for the goodness of me..cant remember where i wrote it. Now comes the Icing on the Cake-----Price..Guess you will faint !!! Only 395/- $ with the wiring and harness. So I ordered the whole stuff, ----Nil Stock------ My hopes just died down. These parts takes 75 working days to order from Japan. So I asked him how abt Air Order. He said nopes only on large quantity of parts would they do via a Air order, I was dismayed, but I was hell bent to get the stuff, So I have ask my Vendor to get in contact with them as and when the order arrives.
Did you guys know about it, Now wonder Sometime back ( around 7 months ) I have to see a GX who had done this mod while I was parking my truck and this owner takes his GX and literally saw this Mirror unfolding out. And he zoomed out, If he is a member here, I wish he chips in more info. cheers
Old 10-05-10, 09:24 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting, someone from Down Under posted a video on the RX forum showing an RX with the folding mirrors. Why, oh why, would Lexus not introduce this in the USA?
Old 10-05-10, 10:08 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i was down in grand cayman a few months back i saw many many top o'the line prados there. surprisingly enough i never took a pic of them.

i did like the folding mirrors but i would prefer they matched the body color
Old 10-06-10, 05:56 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats very cool, you just have to make a contact to get them to you thats all. I had a guy for a while sending me parts for my celica...
Old 10-06-10, 09:51 AM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by redrocks

Interesting, someone from Down Under posted a video on the RX forum showing an RX with the folding mirrors. Why, oh why, would Lexus not introduce this in the USA?
The GX 460 has Folding Mirrors. Perhaps they are interchangeable with the GX 470.

~ Cap
Old 10-06-10, 01:59 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

The Folding Mirrors aren't listed on Sewell yet. Not only are they folding mirrors but have the turn signal indicator too!
Old 10-06-10, 02:03 PM
anulex
Pole Position

Here's a pic of my Top of the Line Prado. Really wanted a GX470 but they dont come in RHD. The only thing it does have is V8 engine. However, it has more features than a fully loaded GX470. not many though. Cooler box, 110v outlet, mirrors. forgot to mention that this is an direct import from Japan to the Caribbean. Not a Aussie Model. The aussie model does not have the fender mirror. It allows u to see directly infront and the left side
Attached Thumbnails Automatic Folding Mirrors-prado-track.jpg   Automatic Folding Mirrors-img_1443.jpg  
Old 10-06-10, 02:04 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Cap,

You have a GX460 and had a GX470, are the mirrors the same size? Also, is the door mount the the same? I see that the GX460 has black door mounts for the mirrors.
Old 10-06-10, 02:07 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by anulex
Here's a pic of my Top of the Line Prado. Really wanted a GX470 but they dont come in RHD. The only thing it does have is V8 engine. However, it has more features than a fully loaded GX470. not many though. Cooler box, 110v outlet, mirrors.
A cooler box? Where is it located? What brand window deflectors are you using?

Looks sweet!
Old 10-06-10, 02:11 PM
anulex
Pole Position

they are original Toyota branded window deflectors. factory option in Japan. The cooler box is located in the arm rest. The Prado's do not have captain's chair. The armrest is integrated with center console.
Old 10-06-10, 02:27 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

they are original Toyota branded window deflectors. factory option in Japan. The cooler box is located in the arm rest. The Prado's do not have captain's chair. The armrest is integrated with center console.
Very cool!! Love the window deflectors. They look pretty wide? Is that the case?
Old 10-06-10, 03:23 PM
anulex
Pole Position

they are wider than say a weathertech version but not overly wide. love them and they are strong.
Old 10-06-10, 03:26 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Looking at the pictures of the GX460 mirrors/door mounts, looks like the GX460 mirrors could be installed on the GX470!
Old 10-06-10, 03:28 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

they are wider than say a weathertech version but not overly wide. love them and they are strong.
Yes, wider than weathertech. Do these look like the same deflectors:

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2094
Old 10-06-10, 03:29 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Or does this look better:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...Q5fAccessories

Quick Reply: Automatic Folding Mirrors