GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Shopping for a GX, would appreciate any wisdom.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-10, 05:47 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shopping for a GX, would appreciate any wisdom.

Looking at GX 470s in the Oregon/Washington area - looking to spend $25K to $27K on a GX with less than 60K miles and preferably CPO, but I find that the dealers are a little harder to beat up on the CPO units as they actually had to put a dollar into them and not just detail and turn them.

So what do you guys think? Any real reason to choose one model year over another? Anything you wish you had gotten?

When I get the GX I will add floor and cargo liners, a good detail and maybe a clear bra and a brushguard since I have two Hella Rallye 4000's sitting in my garage that are beautiful and didn't make it onto my last project.

Thanks all. I look forward to becoming a part of the community here at ClubLexus.
Old 12-27-10, 10:49 AM
sprale
Driver School Candidate

For me, the sealed transmission is a big improvement, introduced in 2004, along with the KDSS option. 270hp upgraded engine in 2005.

http://www.toyota120.com/html/lexus_gx470.html

Hint: The GX470 is a Toyota 120 platform vehicle
Old 12-27-10, 12:20 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlairC
Looking at GX 470s in the Oregon/Washington area - looking to spend $25K to $27K on a GX with less than 60K miles and preferably CPO, but I find that the dealers are a little harder to beat up on the CPO units as they actually had to put a dollar into them and not just detail and turn them.

So what do you guys think? Any real reason to choose one model year over another? Anything you wish you had gotten?

When I get the GX I will add floor and cargo liners, a good detail and maybe a clear bra and a brushguard since I have two Hella Rallye 4000's sitting in my garage that are beautiful and didn't make it onto my last project.

Thanks all. I look forward to becoming a part of the community here at ClubLexus.
I just made the transition about a week ago from a 2006 4Runner Sport V8 to a 2005 GX470. I made the right choice that's all I can say, so backing you on looking at the right vehicle.

I did get CPO, I don't have KDSS, but do have the sealed tranny and VVT-I engine. The truck only had 19K miles on the odo and it was Meridian Blue Pearl which is exactly what I wanted. I got it for 30K. I think you are in the ball park on the dollar amount with a few more miles but you might be focusing on the 05 and 06 model years. I noticed a jump in price when I hit 07 and 08. One thing that caught my attention was gold was cheaper and here's to you liking gold, it will save you some bucks.

Engage the center diff lock on your test drive. Try the air suspension, play with all the bells and whistles to make sure they work. I have to say, I looked at some real garbage in my hunt.

Good luck!
Old 12-27-10, 12:22 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Oh and floor mats... I ordered mine up, should be here tomorrow. Freaked out about my tan interior so I went with what I have found to be the best...

http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvp...tChoiceIds=700
Old 12-28-10, 03:57 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BLUEGXLVCR
Oh and floor mats... I ordered mine up, should be here tomorrow. Freaked out about my tan interior so I went with what I have found to be the best...

http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvp...tChoiceIds=700
Those are the mats I had in my F-150, freaking amazing in the winter. I used to get in and out a lot when i was towing my snowmobile trailer (chains, hitching, etc.) and the snow would just melt right out the door.

Those are worth every penny... and they do cost a few pennies.
Old 12-28-10, 03:58 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

I just made the transition about a week ago from a 2006 4Runner Sport V8 to a 2005 GX470. I made the right choice that's all I can say, so backing you on looking at the right vehicle.

I did get CPO, I don't have KDSS, but do have the sealed tranny and VVT-I engine. The truck only had 19K miles on the odo and it was Meridian Blue Pearl which is exactly what I wanted. I got it for 30K. I think you are in the ball park on the dollar amount with a few more miles but you might be focusing on the 05 and 06 model years. I noticed a jump in price when I hit 07 and 08. One thing that caught my attention was gold was cheaper and here's to you liking gold, it will save you some bucks.

Engage the center diff lock on your test drive. Try the air suspension, play with all the bells and whistles to make sure they work. I have to say, I looked at some real garbage in my hunt.

Good luck!
Blue, thanks for the input. I see you are in NV - not that far from Oregon really. Do you mind telling me where you found your GX. I am always up for a quick flight to Reno, and will be heading to Vegas at the end of January for a little birthday fun with the fiance.
Old 12-28-10, 05:09 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Blue, thanks for the input. I see you are in NV - not that far from Oregon really. Do you mind telling me where you found your GX. I am always up for a quick flight to Reno, and will be heading to Vegas at the end of January for a little birthday fun with the fiance.
Nice! My wife and I are going down to Aria for New Years. It's going to be nukin futts. You only live once right?

Anyway, the dealer I got the vehicle from is Lexus of Las Vegas. The girl's name I worked with was Leigh Morehouse. She kicked azz as she knew just about as much about the 120 platform as I did. She was talking about the Prado's, how to use the GX off road the way Lexus showed her. She went on a corporate ride and drive. She knew her stuff. She even checked and brought up KDSS before I asked! AMAZING! Anyway, here is the site...

http://www.lexusoflasvegas.com/HomePage

Her email is...lmorehouse@lexusoflasvegas.com She's the internet sales manager.

They have a couple on there, one is an 04 with 68K. Not sure of the price though, says to call.
Old 12-28-10, 09:37 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

Thanks, I will look into that. 68K is a little higher than I want to go on miles, but I am sure I will find the right ride at the right price soon enough.
Old 12-31-10, 06:51 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks, I will look into that. 68K is a little higher than I want to go on miles, but I am sure I will find the right ride at the right price soon enough.
I checked out the GX's at Lexus of Las Vegas and they seemed rather high especially on the 04 with 68k miles. I bought my 04 last year with 59k miles for $22,500 loaded silver with NAV. Look around, You will find one. One point to remember is if you are interested in the rear camera, It was introduced in late 04 and came with the NAV/ML audio system. Someone else mentioned here that there is a significant bump up in price from 06-07. IMO the best bang for your buck would be a CPO 06 with appx. 40k miles for $30k ballpark.
Old 01-01-11, 03:30 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
I checked out the GX's at Lexus of Las Vegas and they seemed rather high especially on the 04 with 68k miles. I bought my 04 last year with 59k miles for $22,500 loaded silver with NAV. Look around, You will find one. One point to remember is if you are interested in the rear camera, It was introduced in late 04 and came with the NAV/ML audio system. Someone else mentioned here that there is a significant bump up in price from 06-07. IMO the best bang for your buck would be a CPO 06 with appx. 40k miles for $30k ballpark.
Good luck finding a CPO 06' w/ 40K miles for $30K. I recently bought a non-CPO 04' w/ 50K miles for $24K.
Old 01-01-11, 01:02 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Originally Posted by rickyb80
Good luck finding a CPO 06' w/ 40K miles for $30K. I recently bought a non-CPO 04' w/ 50K miles for $24K.
Yeah, I feel like I caught lightening in a bottle on my 05 with 19K for 30K. I see them around here and there. A local caddy dealer had one with 59K for $20K. It needed some TLC but nothing too major. I would have gone for it, but it was silver and I didn't want silver again. With about $2K worth of replacing some items the truck would have looked great. (black plastic on running board was broken, a few other unscrew rescrew parts needed help. Of course, that is non-CPO
Old 01-01-11, 10:11 PM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Yeah, I feel like I caught lightening in a bottle on my 05 with 19K for 30K. I see them around here and there. A local caddy dealer had one with 59K for $20K. It needed some TLC but nothing too major. I would have gone for it, but it was silver and I didn't want silver again. With about $2K worth of replacing some items the truck would have looked great. (black plastic on running board was broken, a few other unscrew rescrew parts needed help. Of course, that is non-CPO
Yeah, even though I bought mine from a Jaguar dealer I still feel I got a great deal. It's an 04' with 50K but it's my favorite GX color (pearl white), and it has all the options available for the 04' (ML, Nav, camera, spoiler etc.). Not to mention that it has virtually no dents, dings, or scratches, a clean carfax, and runs perfect and the Jag dealer was very accomodating in replacing the driveshaft at no cost a week after I bought it and giving me a new Jag XF as a loaner.
Old 01-05-11, 04:12 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by rickyb80
Yeah, even though I bought mine from a Jaguar dealer I still feel I got a great deal. It's an 04' with 50K but it's my favorite GX color (pearl white), and it has all the options available for the 04' (ML, Nav, camera, spoiler etc.). Not to mention that it has virtually no dents, dings, or scratches, a clean carfax, and runs perfect and the Jag dealer was very accomodating in replacing the driveshaft at no cost a week after I bought it and giving me a new Jag XF as a loaner.
Ive seen numerous non CPO 06's with appx. 40k miles for between $30-34k without negotiating, Remember your only shaving 10k miles and adding 2 years to the one you bought for another $10k.
Old 01-05-11, 07:30 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Ive seen numerous non CPO 06's with appx. 40k miles for between $30-34k without negotiating, Remember your only shaving 10k miles and adding 2 years to the one you bought for another $10k.

Pricing is always effected by geography. Being close to California I think has a negative effect on prices here in Vegas. Also, I have learned if you are looking for something particular and unusual in Vegas, it's slim pickings. This is why I feel like I got crazy lucky with mine.

I'm very much like Ricky. I have EXACTLY what I want and then some. The service was flipping awesome at Lexus of Las Vegas too. I never actually knew Meridian Blue Pearl existed until I saw my 05 (thought they were all Nautical Blue)
Anyway, I don't feel like I paid a dime too much, I did get CPO. I even got to drive it off the showroom floor. Cheese! Haha.
Old 01-06-11, 04:21 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by sprale
For me, the sealed transmission is a big improvement, introduced in 2004, along with the KDSS option. 270hp upgraded engine in 2005.

http://www.toyota120.com/html/lexus_gx470.html

Hint: The GX470 is a Toyota 120 platform vehicle
Het SPRALE, I checked out your link. My question is I have an early build 04(11/03) and was wondering if I have the lifetime sealed tranny. I guess I could check to see if I have a tranny dipstick.

Quick Reply: Shopping for a GX, would appreciate any wisdom.