GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Thankful for a real SUV

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-10, 07:18 PM
tarasgrosh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thankful for a real SUV

We all know in the USA the 'utility' in SUV has progressively been redefined. No longer is utility determined by the ground clearance or off road capability, but (based on today's shoppers) more appropriately the number of grocery bags and children that can comfortably be accommodated in a rolling entertainment system. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with that; our highways are filled with 4 wheel drive modern marvels that can simultaneously tow a Boeing 747, entertain our children with an episode of Dora the Exlporer, and allow us to update our stock portfolio! These great feats of engineering handle better than many luxury sedans, accelerate faster than sports cars 1/3 their weight, yet still have the capability to charge through a blizzard!
Today I had the fortune of taking my '07 GX470 through an open snow covered field. Unlike the EU sibling (PRADO), our GXs lack a locking differential (which is quite helpful when navigating a uphill, windy, snow covered driveway); nevertheless, Lexus was kind enough to provide us with a button to deactivate the VSC...
Those that describe Lexus simply as soulless transportation, have never had the opportunity to drift through 18" of champagne powder. The more than competent 4.7L V8 effortlessly propels the 4870lb giant from one turn to the next, the svelte suspension translates every bump into a mere hiccup, the well isolated cabin ensures security and comfort as snow billows from each tire, spraying gleeful onlookers. It's like watching a performance of Swan Lake; strong, agile, graceful, and elegant! You walk away inspired and amazed. What's more interesting, in a vehicle predominantly used on road, the VSC can easily be switched off. Even my late model (2001) and friend's (2006) 4runner, require a bit of tampering under the hood to completely turn off this nanny; wait a minute, I thought 4runner's were the more rugged version of the GX... Guess not.
I am not bashing other car makers nor am I wallowing over the slow extinction of the "true" SUV; No, I am praising the Lexus engineers for having the where-with-all to create a vehicle with the ideal balance of on road manners and off road capability.
Thank you!
Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-27-10, 07:49 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine has a locking Diff?
Old 12-27-10, 08:09 PM
tarasgrosh
Driver School Candidate

We all have center locking. I should have been more specific: Rear locker
Old 12-27-10, 09:07 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

I think I just shed a tear in happiness. BUT...I have a locker? Forgive me, I just picked my GX up a week ago and HOLY HIGH HECK I'm in LUB.
Old 01-03-11, 01:30 PM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to admit I secretly have an affair with my wife GX470. I dont have chance to drive her car. GX is the first car that my wife is proud and finally takes care. Its after owning MBZ ML55, BMW X5 4.6, Toureg V8, Infiniti FX45. Once a week I will get up early and drive her for few minutes. Wow what a smooth and powerful ride. At the same time it feels like you driving a Hummer.