GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Best replacement tire - 08 GX470

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 10:35 PM
rennym
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best replacement tire - 08 GX470

I read some old threads that talked about getting Michelin Cross Terrains - some suspected that they had been discontinued.

I looked at TireRack and they don't have them anymore. They are suggesting Michelin Latitudes. But the reviews on the Latitudes aren't very flattering.

I wanted to know about other owner's experiences and what would be their tire of choice.

I live in Toronto and we head into snow country pretty frequently.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-11-11, 10:46 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer about the cross terrains. I was out on black ice with mine tonight and they worked like a dream.
Old 01-11-11, 10:48 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

Do you have Costco in canada? They show the cross terrains.
Old 01-12-11, 08:12 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Check with your local tire shop, they might be able to source the CT's from another shop.

As an alternative, I am a BIG fan of Michelin LTX M/S. They are my second favorite all-around tire for an SUV. Very smooth, quiet with excellent traction.
Old 01-12-11, 08:33 AM
FlzRider
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly recommend the Michelin LTX M/S2.
Old 01-12-11, 06:24 PM
ERC4
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Cross Terrains vs Lattitudes- My Experience

I was in a Costco on Saturday and they have Cross Terrains. Based on my experience with the CT's on our 06 GX vs the Lattitudes on our 2010 LX570 I think the CTs are a much better tire. I got 55k out of our first set of CTs and could have gotten 5k more. I've got just 7k on the Lattitudes on our LX and they look like I'll need to replace them at 15-20k. Granted, the LX weighs 6,000 lbs vs the GX at 4,900 but the Lattitudes have been disappointing. They're even inferior to CTs in the snow.
Old 01-12-11, 07:16 PM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Michelin LTX MS/2 are my favorite. Just put a set on my GX and I am very pleased. This is my 5th set in a row and they were perfect on our Sequoia as well. The Cross Terrain is also an excellent tire but I prefer the LTX. Should get plenty of miles and traction with the LTX or CT.
Old 01-12-11, 09:55 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Our '04 GX came with the Cross Terrains from the factory. They were so good, when it came time to replace the Bridgestones on our '02 RX, I also went with the Cross Terrains. We're on our second set on the GX, but when it came time to replace the Cross Terrains on the RX, they said they didn't make them anymore (at least for the RX). I was not impressed with the Latitude's tread pattern and I ended up ordering the LTX MS/2's from our Costco. Amazing that the tread pattern is exactly like the old Cross Terrains. If they don't make the CT's anymore for the GX, go with the LTX MS/2!!!
Old 01-13-11, 08:15 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Just spoke with my local tire guy/shop and he said he can source them for me for $220 p tire installed. They are still around you just need to do a little digging.

Come to think of it, I have about 63k mi on my original CT's it's about time for some new ones.
Old 01-14-11, 04:42 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
Just spoke with my local tire guy/shop and he said he can source them for me for $220 p tire installed. They are still around you just need to do a little digging.

Come to think of it, I have about 63k mi on my original CT's it's about time for some new ones.
Michelin Cross Terrains and LTX M/S 2's are almost identical in every way, although the treadwear rating on the LTX's are an astounding 720 if I remember correctly. I once had Bridgestone Duelers with a treadwear rating of 180 that lasted me 12k miles and they were toast. You get what you pay for in tires. The only discount tire I have seen perform close to Michelins are General Grabber H/T's for $145 per tire(265/65/17's) and are rated close per Tirerack.com
Old 01-15-11, 09:39 AM
MWalker
Driver School Candidate

I replaced my factory CTs with a set of LTX M/S2s about 10k ago, and these still look like the day they put them on...

My GFs 4-Runner has been wearing LTXs for 30k now, and they look 90%, just damn good tires for these vehicles.
Old 01-16-11, 10:42 AM
rainmn
Driver

FWIW, I just put a set of Latitudes on mine. It's only been a few days, and they went on just after our most recent snow, so I don't have much experience with them yet.

All I can so far is that they are quiet on the highway, and the truck feels "tighter" than it did with the old Bridgestones on it. (Stiffer sidewalls maybe?) I thought it was me just trying to make myself feel better about a $900 purchase, but my wife even noticed it - which really surprised me.

I talked to my local tire guy about Cross Terrains vs. Latitudes, and he recommended the Latitudes, even though he could get me either just as easily. He had 2 reasons for that - One, while he could get the CT's now with no issue, he said if I destroyed one a year from now, there was no guarantee he'd still be able to get a replacement. Two, he had recently gone to a Michelin seminar in Vermont, and drove a Land Rover with Latitudes on it and was very impressed with them.

Take it all for the roughly 2 cents or so that it's worth. At the end of the day, I bought the Latitudes at Costco and not from my local tire guy anyway. Despite all the $$$ I've spent with him over the last several years, he doesn't offer any deals, and that annoyed me more than a little bit.

After I have some miles on them, I'll report back.
Old 01-17-11, 09:29 PM
grda
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rennym
I read some old threads that talked about getting Michelin Cross Terrains - some suspected that they had been discontinued.

I looked at TireRack and they don't have them anymore. They are suggesting Michelin Latitudes. But the reviews on the Latitudes aren't very flattering.

I wanted to know about other owner's experiences and what would be their tire of choice.

I live in Toronto and we head into snow country pretty frequently.

Thanks in advance
I just got Micheline LTX M/S2 on my GX replacing the dueler. I would highly recommend it. Very nice tires.Was deciding between the cross terrains and the LTX but decided on LTX.
Old 01-20-11, 07:35 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by grda
I just got Micheline LTX M/S2 on my GX replacing the dueler. I would highly recommend it. Very nice tires.Was deciding between the cross terrains and the LTX but decided on LTX.
Michelin all the way. I have a friend that works at a tire chain store and he cant believe that 75% of people replacing their tires go with what was on them originally from the factory. Can you imagine replacing the horrible Bridgestone or Dunlops with another set. I'm sure Bridgestone and Dunlop outfitted the GX470 cheap with this premise in mind.
Old 01-23-11, 07:23 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Avoid CT for this reason

Consider the other Michelins over the Cross Terrain. As RAINMN suggested, you will be sorely disappointed if you cash in on a road hazard warranty a year or more from now. CTs are discontinued and the inventory will be purged. Guess what, you have to buy the opposing side tire, and your replacement went from free to $250 or more, and you have a mismatched set of tires. Costco and most reputable tire shops will not put one odd tire on for a warranty claim, regardless of tread remaining on the others ... been there with Michelins on my LS. Four years, three RH claims where I had to buy two tires to keep matched due to "product evolution" ... so I bought six total, and installed nine tires (yes, my wife likes braille curb-finding and has bad luck with sharp objects) in less than one treadlife cycle, and only had a matched set for a short while. Mind you I sold the LS with decent tires and a varying 40% tread remaining, but despite solid road hazard coverage, I had to buy a set and a half to keep rolling throughout one set's lifetime. Having bought my GX in September, I thought I had about a year remaining on some Dunlaps. I just got the "$1100 screw," both literally and figuratively. A non-repairable wood screw puncture in the shoulder area. So now I'm looking at a whole set of Michelins. I'd like to have more feedback on the Lattitudes, because for the reasons stated above I believe they will have the best chance of remaining "current" for a typical lifespan. I'm tempted by a lot of good feedback on the LTX, but fear design changes may be pending for this proven tire. But the CT is out of consideration based on past experience and the reality that most of us don't get to 60,000 or so without a tire mishap.

Quick Reply: Best replacement tire - 08 GX470