GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air suspension? Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 04:49 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BlairC
not a chance. you are suggesting a custom solution to fix a problem that is a wear item and does have an end of service.

IMHO, the original poster would be better served on multiple vectors by replacing the factory shocks - this would be a better ride, retain factory damping adjustment, retain factory air suspension and thus levelling, and finally this would require far less research, shop time and would not result in the devaluation of the vehicle due to such a drastic loss of features/functionality.
I agree. I might add that I have an 04 with same problem. I was told to try to reset the air ride system by simply cycling through the height adjustments. First by increasing the height with the button than lowering it, than up again etc. a few cycles and that sometimes does the trick. It worked for me, although not that long. I believe I need to replace the ride height sensor. Its worth a try if you had it up on a lift recently and just need to equalize it.
Old 04-23-11, 04:49 AM
HaveBlue
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its bottoming in the back adjust the sensors longer. It doesn't take much.
Old 04-24-11, 01:34 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swapping to Bilstein 5100s with FJ springs only makes sense if you plan to off-road your rig.

But since for most GX owners the closest thing to off-roading is getting over the curb to get a better parking spot at the mall, they will be better served with replacing with OEM parts.
Old 05-12-11, 05:49 AM
e30dude
Driver School Candidate

I have finally gotten around to addressing the rear ride issues and just ordered the height sensors. I am hoping this fixes the issues. Before it was riding too high and in the last few weeks it was riding on the bump stops..Couldn't take it any longer.

I also noticed a few days back that it was not taking the signal from the height adjustment so I am curious if it is another issue? The bags fill/pump fine with the signal is received but the height adjustment is all whacked.

Another question: I was going to replace the rear dampers too given that the dramatic height difference, rough ride and 70K of miles has put an end to their life. I was absolutely blown away when I saw that EACH were listed for $760 with the best price that I could find of $460..That is insane!

Does anyone believe that I could install bilstein 8100's with the standard air ride suspension? Any other options or recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-11, 08:31 AM
MY06GX
Driver School Candidate

I am seeing the same problems with my rear suspension as pretty much everyone else. I was driving an every bump felt like I was hitting NYC potholes. I was afraid something was going to break it was hitting so hard. Well I researched the problem and now raise and lower my suspension every morning and that seems to have resolved the problem for now. Regardless I took my GX to the dealer to look at the problem and make sure my sensors were not broke.

They test drove the GX and said there was no issues. Ok, I can understand if the problem is not occurring, it is hard to troubleshoot. Although I showed the mechanic my rear axle under the bump stops and the metal there is perfectly shinny like it has been riding on the bump stops for years.

Here is where my problem comes in, the mechanic said that is normal. Is it normal on any vehicle for it to be hitting the bumps stops(unless you are actually 4 wheeling)? I have never seen a vehicle hit the bump stops with normal driving and find it hard to believe a Lexus is supposed to be hitting the bump stops?

Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks!
Old 07-28-11, 11:38 PM
N305AS
Rookie

I'm sure I saw in another similar thread that someone simply had the Lexus techs adjust the ride height settings higher. Question is - did it work?
Old 07-30-11, 10:41 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MY06GX
I am seeing the same problems with my rear suspension as pretty much everyone else. I was driving an every bump felt like I was hitting NYC potholes. I was afraid something was going to break it was hitting so hard. Well I researched the problem and now raise and lower my suspension every morning and that seems to have resolved the problem for now. Regardless I took my GX to the dealer to look at the problem and make sure my sensors were not broke.

They test drove the GX and said there was no issues. Ok, I can understand if the problem is not occurring, it is hard to troubleshoot. Although I showed the mechanic my rear axle under the bump stops and the metal there is perfectly shinny like it has been riding on the bump stops for years.

Here is where my problem comes in, the mechanic said that is normal. Is it normal on any vehicle for it to be hitting the bumps stops(unless you are actually 4 wheeling)? I have never seen a vehicle hit the bump stops with normal driving and find it hard to believe a Lexus is supposed to be hitting the bump stops?

Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks!
Yes, it's awfully simple to adjust the rear ride height yourself. There are a couple double-ended adjustment bolts on the rear height sensors. Or, you can adjust in larger amounts by loosening the bolts and sliding the height-sensor-arm in the adjustment slot. You don't want to be riding on the bump stops, or hitting them regularly.

Yes, worn shocks can come into the equation also -- they'll let the rear end come down "harder" after a bump because they've lost the ability to dampen the movement.

But, the simple tweak would be to try to raise the rear of the truck a bit to see if it helps. A 10min adjustment once you've done it once.
Old 07-30-11, 08:39 PM
kanda
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default rear sensors and hitting the stops

Had the same problem on my 04 GX. Took it to the dealer and they said it was "normal". Normally, they try to get me to do about $1000 in repairs, but they were busy that day, so maybe they just did not want to deal with it.

I just got into the habit of cycling the ride height every other day or so to keep the rear ride better, and lived with it for a while, til it started to drive me crazy.

Took it to a great indy mechanic I know and he looked at it, looked up suspension settings and clearances on Alldata, or whatever program he had in the shop, took a few measurements on the truck, and said the the rear height sensors were out of adjustment.

5 minutes later it was fixed. For a grand total of 15 bucks (cash of course)!

Yes, I probably could have adjusted it myself, but he got things spot-on for almost no money. Just adjusted the rear height sensors up, the rear of the truck rides just a little higher in the back, but barely noticeable, and no more hitting the stops. Ride is pretty much back to new.
I imagine that the rear sensors get a "worn" spot on their innards somewhere internally and this causes a variance in voltage reading, and the truck rides a little low in the back and hits the bump stops. Probably means the sensors need replacement someday soon, but for basically no time, and no money, can't beat an adjustment.
Old 08-01-11, 10:19 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

I adjusted mine a little higher and it was too stiff. The rear was bouncing around like a basketball. Lowered it back and now bottoming! Wtf?
Old 08-01-11, 07:49 PM
Jameym00
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone replaced the rear shocks. Sounds like the rear shocks have gone weak and it's letting the truck sag in the *** end. I know therenexpensive but your putting a band aide on the issue. I work in the repair industry and all shocks loose heir pressure over time. Try to see if you can see any oil seeping from the top of the shock. I have a 04 and my right front is seeping. It comes a time to just replace them.
Old 08-01-11, 09:45 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
I adjusted mine a little higher and it was too stiff. The rear was bouncing around like a basketball. Lowered it back and now bottoming! Wtf?
How many miles do you have on your shocks? I think mine are about spent @ 60k.
Old 08-02-11, 02:44 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by kanda
Had the same problem on my 04 GX. Took it to the dealer and they said it was "normal". Normally, they try to get me to do about $1000 in repairs, but they were busy that day, so maybe they just did not want to deal with it.

I just got into the habit of cycling the ride height every other day or so to keep the rear ride better, and lived with it for a while, til it started to drive me crazy.

Took it to a great indy mechanic I know and he looked at it, looked up suspension settings and clearances on Alldata, or whatever program he had in the shop, took a few measurements on the truck, and said the the rear height sensors were out of adjustment.

5 minutes later it was fixed. For a grand total of 15 bucks (cash of course)!

Yes, I probably could have adjusted it myself, but he got things spot-on for almost no money. Just adjusted the rear height sensors up, the rear of the truck rides just a little higher in the back, but barely noticeable, and no more hitting the stops. Ride is pretty much back to new.
I imagine that the rear sensors get a "worn" spot on their innards somewhere internally and this causes a variance in voltage reading, and the truck rides a little low in the back and hits the bump stops. Probably means the sensors need replacement someday soon, but for basically no time, and no money, can't beat an adjustment.
Great news. I need to adjust as well. Ill just swing by an Indy and ask if they can do that for me as well. Thanks
Old 08-04-11, 05:50 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stiles_s
How many miles do you have on your shocks? I think mine are about spent @ 60k.
I have 80k miles. I want to just replace the shocks with ome's or bilsteins. If only i knew it would solve the bottoming out.
Old 09-27-11, 09:35 PM
N305AS
Rookie

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
Great news. I need to adjust as well. Ill just swing by an Indy and ask if they can do that for me as well. Thanks

So did you get it done - and did it work?
Old 07-09-13, 07:25 AM
romkab
Driver School Candidate

Default Ride bumpy

Here is what I am experiencing with the 05 GX. About a year ago, the back of the truck raised and the ride became bouncy and the height control indicator was flashing. This was an easy problem to fix. I inspected the height sensors and yes, one of them was shot, the spring was rusted. So I replaced it and the truck was driving fine for a while. About two weeks ago, the back was raised and i fiddled around with the height control sensors to bring it all the way down. About a week ago, the ride became very bumpy and the truck now sits low, does not respond to the height adjustment L when lowering it, and responds only to the H position by raising it slightly. Do I need to go back and fiddle with the height sensors again? What is the ideal setting for the nut on the sensor? Do I need to replace the other sensor? It looks fine after we took it apart. Looking for suggestions. Labor won't cost me anything, since we have our shop. And i get 20% discount from Lexus. Thinking of replacing the shocks, sensor. thanks.

Quick Reply: Air suspension? Shocks?