GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Gx questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 10:21 AM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gx questions

Hi everyone,

My sister is interested in purchasing an 04-06 Gx470 with around 70-80,000 miles on it.

Other than the 90,000 miles service, is there any other maintenance items, that she needs to look out for?

Her budget is around $20,000-23,000

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Adam
Old 01-19-11, 03:35 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd look at 05-06. The 04 has the non-VVTI engine. Also I believe in 05 the transmission became a sealed unit. The GX did have a TSB out for the clunk in the driveshaft. I would see if you can't find one where the TSB has been taken care of. From reading here, the only other issue I have read about is the rear air suspension leaking. If your sis does find a ride that's in good shape close to 90K, you can use the timing belt as a bargaining chip to get the vehicle cost down maybe by a few thousand. Doesn't cost that much to do but she has to be paid for the hastle right?

Good luck out there searching!
Old 01-19-11, 03:47 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is also some loose theories i have seen that the later models do not have as many cracked dash issues which can be a) annoying and b) costly to remedy.
Old 01-19-11, 04:26 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUEGXLVCR
I'd look at 05-06. The 04 has the non-VVTI engine. Also I believe in 05 the transmission became a sealed unit. The GX did have a TSB out for the clunk in the driveshaft. I would see if you can't find one where the TSB has been taken care of. From reading here, the only other issue I have read about is the rear air suspension leaking. If your sis does find a ride that's in good shape close to 90K, you can use the timing belt as a bargaining chip to get the vehicle cost down maybe by a few thousand. Doesn't cost that much to do but she has to be paid for the hastle right?

Good luck out there searching!
Your correct about the VVTI engine on the 04, But the 04 GX has the sealed transmission. As long as you get a decent aftermarket warranty or extended Lexus warranty I wouldn't worry too much. They are very reliable trucks with a few issues that need to be checked before buying including the radiators. Your price range should put you in an 04 with about 65-75k miles. You might be able to push it to 05 with 90k miles, but personally, Id rather have the 04 with less miles as there really isn't much of a difference other than horsepower. One thing to check on the 04 is the build date. I have an early build date 04 with NAV that dosent offer the rearview camera- It was added as a late year option. Good luck, You won't be disappointed.
Old 01-19-11, 05:55 PM
tim003
Driver School Candidate

If I have my choice again, I would go with the 05 or newer but then again I got a decent deal on my 04 GX. I drove my friend's 05 GX, the horsepower made a difference between 04 and 05.

If you decide to get 03 or 04, be sure to look for the cracked dash board and the oil leak on the transfer case.
Old 01-19-11, 11:06 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Great thank you for the all the feedback! A little update she just upped her price to $30,000 and is also looking at used Lx's. (I personally like the Gx more myself)

Is there a huge size difference between the two? This is basically going to be used to haul her two sons around. One is 2 years old and the other is 8 months old. As most parents know those baby seats take up an entire row.

Gas isn't a concern for her as it will only used to drive maybe 20-25 miles per day. The biggest concern for her and her husband is safety, reliability, and size.
Old 01-20-11, 06:16 AM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Originally Posted by adam8065
Great thank you for the all the feedback! A little update she just upped her price to $30,000 and is also looking at used Lx's. (I personally like the Gx more myself)

Is there a huge size difference between the two? This is basically going to be used to haul her two sons around. One is 2 years old and the other is 8 months old. As most parents know those baby seats take up an entire row.

Gas isn't a concern for her as it will only used to drive maybe 20-25 miles per day. The biggest concern for her and her husband is safety, reliability, and size.
I think it would be best to drive both maybe even plunk down the kiddos seats in each of them. I put my 2 year old in my GX and it's just fine. Another child seat would fit without issue.

I will say both have the same engine so the LX may be on the slower side. You can't go wrong with either of them but you are going to get a bias opinion in these threads. Personally, I think she would like to drive the GX more just because it's more nimble than the LX.
Old 01-20-11, 05:25 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLUEGXLVCR
I think it would be best to drive both maybe even plunk down the kiddos seats in each of them. I put my 2 year old in my GX and it's just fine. Another child seat would fit without issue.

I will say both have the same engine so the LX may be on the slower side. You can't go wrong with either of them but you are going to get a bias opinion in these threads. Personally, I think she would like to drive the GX more just because it's more nimble than the LX.
will do. She is also looking more into the Gx, and in my opinion it is a lot better looking too.

Will keep everyone posted.
Old 01-20-11, 07:51 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

will do. She is also looking more into the Gx, and in my opinion it is a lot better looking too.

Will keep everyone posted.
We in this forum are biased but for a good reason. I'm sure most of us had a short list of trucks we were interested in before making our decision on the GX(mine was GX, LX and Acura MDX) After driving all 3 it was rather an easy decision IMO. The LX was eliminated first with outdated looks and higher price for basically the same drivetrain as the GX. The MDX was tempting price wise as well as having fold flat 3rd row seat, but after driving by appx. 5 of them on my test drive i felt it was a little overplayed in my area. The GX was priced in the middle of the 3 and seemed to have the most bang for my buck. I also liked the higher vantage point you get from the GX. Resale value, looks, interior materials and being a little more rare sold me.
Old 01-22-11, 10:55 AM
fmfarooqui
Driver School Candidate

GX is a better buy. buy 06 or beyond.
Old 01-22-11, 07:01 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Originally Posted by fmfarooqui
GX is a better buy. buy 06 or beyond.
Again, why? 2005 is the same thing minus the nav update. 2004 and back had a few less ponies. Everything else is the same. Well, you could get KDSS I guess.
Old 01-23-11, 09:47 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

She is looking for a Gx right now. Their budget is $30,000. So when they find one one to their liking, they purchase it.
Old 01-24-11, 10:45 AM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

She is looking for a Gx right now. Their budget is $30,000. So when they find one one to their liking, they purchase it.
..and you post pictures. GX **** is always good!
Old 01-25-11, 12:16 PM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I recommend a 07 that would fall in that price range. Why 07? The Navi is so much more nicer then the 05-06. I have a 05 and to be honest, it looks pretty dated at this time. It still works great, but the graphics look dated. The 07 and up just looks nicer.

Also concerning the 04 vs 05, I went with the 05 as it had Bluetooth. We use it all of the time and love the option.

Good luck with the purchase.
Old 01-25-11, 04:47 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Originally Posted by cobra2top
I recommend a 07 that would fall in that price range. Why 07? The Navi is so much more nicer then the 05-06. I have a 05 and to be honest, it looks pretty dated at this time. It still works great, but the graphics look dated. The 07 and up just looks nicer.

Also concerning the 04 vs 05, I went with the 05 as it had Bluetooth. We use it all of the time and love the option.

Good luck with the purchase.
I agree, got the 05 and the nav clarity does look dated. I'm not bothered at all by it other than I have a Garmin paperweight now.

Quick Reply: Gx questions