GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New (?) leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 06:49 AM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New (?) leak?

Hey guys. I noticed today that some lime green fluid appears to be leaking out of the bottom of the GX. It seems to be happening where I've locked the axles together. It was just in for a differential servicing last week. The only reason I noticed was that the snow today had green drips on it. No green anywhere once I flipped the button back off.

Any ideas?

Update: I think this may be a coolant leak since it was in getting the water pump replaced last week too. Will continue to chase it down with the dealer.

Last edited by ebradford; 01-27-11 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-27-11, 09:10 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 147 Posts

toyota OEM long life coolant is red/pink if that helps...
Old 01-27-11, 11:39 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lime green is almost certainly coolant. but someone more well versed in these vehicles is going to need to comment regarding why it would happen in a diff lock scenario.
Old 01-27-11, 12:07 PM
ebradford
Pit Crew

It's going back into the dealer tomorrow. From everything that I've read, incorrectly installed seals or o-rings are usually to blame.

I know Blair, I don't understand either why diff lock would cause the water pump to start dripping coolant. It's quite possible that they're unrelated. I just don't know enough about the mechanics of what's going on under there. If anyone can chime in, I'm very interested to know.

All I know is that it was fine before they serviced it and now it's leaking. I don't think that's a coincidence.
Old 01-27-11, 03:40 PM
new2005GX
Rookie

holy ****, this is weird. I noticed the exact same thing today (in the snow). I just had my diff fluid changed at the toyota dealer so I wondered id it was leaking from there.and yes...I've also been playing with the locking diff.
Old 01-27-11, 03:44 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

i wonder if that is overflow from the vent tube? perhaps they are overfiling. is the fluid viscious like diff/gear oil or is it thin like antifreeze.
Old 01-27-11, 04:01 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know what you find out, I replaced my diff fluid / oil myself and it was not green when it came out. As per above, the Toyota OEM coolant is pink, so I'm not sure where the green is coming from with your GX.

Turby
Old 01-27-11, 06:04 PM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by new2005GX
holy ****, this is weird. I noticed the exact same thing today (in the snow). I just had my diff fluid changed at the toyota dealer so I wondered id it was leaking from there.and yes...I've also been playing with the locking diff.
at least i'm not the only one

did you have anything else done or just the differential service (which i also had done)? what came out in the snow looked like anti-freeze to me. i didn't touch it and it's since been plowed under. i'll have a look in the morning before i go back to the dealer.
Old 01-27-11, 11:15 PM
SIERRAGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the power steering fluid in my 2000 RX300 was greenish from factory, might want tp check that out.
Old 01-28-11, 03:37 AM
new2005GX
Rookie

Originally Posted by ebradford
at least i'm not the only one

did you have anything else done or just the differential service (which i also had done)? what came out in the snow looked like anti-freeze to me. i didn't touch it and it's since been plowed under. i'll have a look in the morning before i go back to the dealer.
I had most of the 60K service done at a Toyota dealer (Atlantic Toyota in Lynn). I had them change all the diff fluids and the transfer case oil. I didn't have them do the brake fluid since they say they never touch it unless there is a problem. I should probably have it done though.

If it wasn't for the snow, I don't think I would have noticed the leak. It is definitely lime green, almost looks like gatorade. I bet they over filled something and now it is leaking out. Please let me know what you find, I don't have time to take the truck back for a few weeks but if it is something serious then I have no choice.

OT but a funny story. I let my wife drive me somewhere in the GX and I noticed that she was having trouble with the shifter. She was pulling it all the way down to 2D. I asked here what the hell she was doing and she told me that she hated the shifter because it was so hard to get down there and she puts in it 2D because that is 2WD and 4D is 4WD. Needless to say I had a minor heart attack because she drove it all of the way to the Cape like that a few months ago!!!!!
Old 01-28-11, 06:30 AM
ebradford
Pit Crew

If it wasn't for the snow, I don't think I would have noticed the leak. It is definitely lime green, almost looks like gatorade. I bet they over filled something and now it is leaking out. Please let me know what you find, I don't have time to take the truck back for a few weeks but if it is something serious then I have no choice.

OT but a funny story. I let my wife drive me somewhere in the GX and I noticed that she was having trouble with the shifter. She was pulling it all the way down to 2D. I asked here what the hell she was doing and she told me that she hated the shifter because it was so hard to get down there and she puts in it 2D because that is 2WD and 4D is 4WD. Needless to say I had a minor heart attack because she drove it all of the way to the Cape like that a few months ago!!!!!
yep, gatorade-esque leak here too. i'm at the dealer now and will post up what i find out later today.

that's funny about the shifter. you mean you wouldn't want to drive all the way to the cape with the engine screaming at the redline? though, truth told, depending on the traffic and time of day, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to drive a good portion of the way at under 25 mph.
Old 01-28-11, 10:39 AM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Okay, so it's all fixed now. Some stuff that I learned today:

1. The differential fluid in my GX looks like lime gatorade.

2. When a tech is in a hurry, a misaligned differential plug gasket will leak said gatorade-colored fluid.

3. My coolant is, in fact, pink (which being a dumbass I could have figured out by just popping the hood and looking).

4. The wifi at the toyota dealer is actually pretty good but their coffee sucks.
Old 01-28-11, 11:36 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

great background. i am sure this will help some folks out.
Old 01-28-11, 12:46 PM
new2005GX
Rookie

Originally Posted by ebradford
Okay, so it's all fixed now. Some stuff that I learned today:

1. The differential fluid in my GX looks like lime gatorade.

2. When a tech is in a hurry, a misaligned differential plug gasket will leak said gatorade-colored fluid.

3. My coolant is, in fact, pink (which being a dumbass I could have figured out by just popping the hood and looking).

4. The wifi at the toyota dealer is actually pretty good but their coffee sucks.
Ah, that's just what I suspected. I figured they screwed something up when they replaced the fluid. If my diff(s) are smoked as a result of the leaking fluid -- would they be liable for the damage? Ugh, now I have to bring it back there...

What's everyone's thoughts on changing the brake fluid? Maybe I'll try to get them to do that for free for the inconvenience. My truck now has 72K (brakes work perfect (after I changed the pads and rotors).
Old 01-28-11, 04:20 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Ah, that's just what I suspected. I figured they screwed something up when they replaced the fluid. If my diff(s) are smoked as a result of the leaking fluid -- would they be liable for the damage? Ugh, now I have to bring it back there...

What's everyone's thoughts on changing the brake fluid? Maybe I'll try to get them to do that for free for the inconvenience. My truck now has 72K (brakes work perfect (after I changed the pads and rotors).
What did you use to replace the pads/rotors? factory? Where did you go in Massachusetts?

Quick Reply: New (?) leak?