GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Electrical problem???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-11, 04:58 PM
MarioNY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem???

Hello Everyone. I just registered today and this is my first post on this forum. I hope I get some feedback as to what to do.. well Here it is. I have a 2004 Lexus GX470. I had baught it from a Lexus Dealer in NJ about 3 years ago with 80K miles. It now has 113K Miles and the only thing I did to the car is regular oil changes and front and rear brakes. Yesterday, the keyless entry on the car wouldnt work so I figured it needed a new battery. I replaced the key battery and it still did not work. So I thought that it lost its memory and it needs to be reprogrammed. At the end of the day when I went to get the car and go home, I noticed that no electrical power goes in the car without the key beeing in the ignition. Specifically, The power seats, power locks, interior center and private lights, the side steps lights as well as the clock display do not work and not only they do not work, the clock looses its memory too. I also noticed that the windshield wipers do not work at all at the AUTO/Interim position. On the other hand I think that All these malfunctions can be assumed to be caused by one reason so maybe it is something very simple to fix. It is hard to beleive that all these problems are independed. One more thing.. the VSC TRAC and TRAC OFF also came on the cluster and they are now steady on whenever I turn the ignition on. Please someone advice. I have an appointment with the dealer on Thursday but any advice would be appreciated. Today, Monday 2/29/11 I replaced my battery with a brand new interstate 27F and still all the malfunctions are there. One that is no longer acting up is the power seats that I can now use without the key in the ignition. I am really buffled. I guess the next step is the Dealer. I know they will charge me an arm and a leg.

Last edited by MarioNY; 02-28-11 at 01:35 PM. Reason: to update
Old 02-26-11, 07:21 PM
SIERRAGX
Driver School Candidate

How old is the car battery?,have it checked out first.
Old 02-26-11, 07:37 PM
MarioNY
Driver School Candidate

it is at least 3 years old... to be honest with you I havent checked it
Old 02-26-11, 07:50 PM
MarioNY
Driver School Candidate

I went out and checked the battery... It ls a lexus battery and it seems that no punctures were done for the month and the year. I will buy a new battery on monday and hopefully it will fix all the problems
Old 02-26-11, 09:07 PM
mann777

Received 65 Likes on 31 Posts

Goto an Autozone and check the Battery Ampere While the car is completely off and while they are on start up, if they are below 6-10 Amp then are not full charged, might be low on charge, you may have to replace it, These signs which you have mentioned are that the battery is dying. These symptoms do come up.
Old 02-26-11, 10:11 PM
MarioNY
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback mann77. It all makes sense. Like I said I am getting a new battery on Monday. Which bettery is the best for a GX ? I always used interstates on my vehicles. is that a recommended battery for my car ?
Old 03-01-11, 05:41 PM
MarioNY
Driver School Candidate

I replaced the battery yesterday. The only things that are functioning as they should are the power seats. The central lock, the clock, and all the interior lights are still not working with the key not beeing in the ignition. I also noticed that the ride became a little rough. Anyway... it seems that the dealer is the only place I can have the car diagnosed and hpefully fixed. Mann77... I heard some really good things about your experties. If you have any advice I would appreciate it. Someone suggested that the ignition wires might have gone bad... and he also said that you might have an answser for that...
Old 03-01-11, 07:24 PM
mann777

I am just curious which battery on the key Transponder have you replaced, is it CR1616. Secondly Do you have a Engine Imobilizer warning on the cluster, or any other warning lite, do let me know. The Clock and Memory Seats do get disconnected with its settings, you need to do them manually. The Interior Lites and Central Locking part is what I am interested. We will take it from there.
Old 03-01-11, 07:41 PM
MarioNY
Driver School Candidate

I did replace the Key battery with the CR1616. No imobilizer warning on the dash. The only warning signs like I said is the VSC TRAC and TRAC OFF. What I figure is that when teh key is off the ignition, there is no power inside the cabin and the alarm doesnt even activate. I bet that the central lock and interior lights as well as the outside running board lights are all connected with the centrallock beeing inoperative without the key. The power seats started working now with the new interstate battery I put on the car
Old 03-01-11, 08:38 PM
mann777

The problem you have as what I guess is, the Ignition immobilzer has been deactivated, I dunno how, these needs to be activated using the Master Key ( Wallet key ) which was given while delivery) hope you have it) if not you may have to got the dealer.
Old 03-01-11, 08:52 PM
MarioNY
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the info. I have an appointment on Thursday to bring the car to the dealer here in NY. I am sure they will find the problem.
Old 03-08-11, 06:26 PM
MarioNY
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Hello mann777

Just an update on my problem. I took the car to the dealer and after they had the car for 3 days they told me that I had an after market alarm that had to be disarmed. They quoted me $ 2,500 for the job and they also wanted $ 1,800 to replace the axle because I have the clunking noise which is a TSB but they did not want to take the hit. They also told me that I had to replace the Angle sensor ( for the VSC TRAC and TRAC OOF light) for $ 750. To make a long story short, I took the car without any repairs and I took it to a friend of mine that installs alarms. In 45 minutes he disarmed the aftermarket alarm and everything is working 100 % for $ 80. Even the suspension is smooth as before. Lexus also wanted to change all the air shocks for an amount that I dont remember because when they told me I totally lost my hearing. Over all this situation cost me $110 for the 1 hr labor at the dealer, $ 90 for a brand new interstate battery and $ 80 that I gave my friend to actually fix the car completely. Very dissapointed with the deale thoigh. They wanted me to pay over $ 8,000 to make the car "safe" according to their findings.

Anyway.. I just wanted to let you know.

Thanks for all the info you gave me earlier.
Old 03-08-11, 07:15 PM
mann777

Marion....if you under warranty, goto another dealer, show the TSB on there face, and make some sound at the Customer service, and have them replaced for free, nothing can be acheived quietly, as the stealerships always take us for a ride, exception for a few, who are damm good.
Old 03-08-11, 07:28 PM
MarioNY
Driver School Candidate

I will take it to the dealer on LI... The Queens lexus is realy unaccepatble. Not only that, They also lost my flat key that did not work with the problems I had. I picked up the car yesterday and they told me that they might have misplaced it but they would efinately find it. SO far noone called me. I Will wait 1 more day and I will go back and create hell for them. I also have a copy of the $ 80 receipt to throw to their face. Like you said some of them are stealerships and some are actual honest ones.
Thanks
Old 03-08-11, 07:36 PM
mann777

There are few members sometime back mentioning that the Queens Lexus one is the worst.