GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New with question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 10:46 PM
repcapale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New with question

Hi everyone. I just purchased an 06 GX470. I live in Edmonton, Canada so it is a great truck for the weather. It has 82 000km and still has a year of the factory powertrain warranty left. I have a few questions for anyone that can answer them. First off, I notice a slight whine from the transfer case area. I also notice that if I apply pressure to the shifter while driving it gets louder. Is this normal. It is not too loud, but noticable. If I put it in low gear it become much more noticable. The truck has had all of the service done at regular intervals including diff/transfer fluilds. Secondly what are other common problems/failures to look out for? Also am I eligable to get the driveshaft clunk problem fixed under warranty? Thank you in advance.
Old 03-05-11, 06:49 AM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Originally Posted by repcapale
Hi everyone. I just purchased an 06 GX470. I live in Edmonton, Canada so it is a great truck for the weather. It has 82 000km and still has a year of the factory powertrain warranty left. I have a few questions for anyone that can answer them. First off, I notice a slight whine from the transfer case area. I also notice that if I apply pressure to the shifter while driving it gets louder. Is this normal. It is not too loud, but noticable. If I put it in low gear it become much more noticable. The truck has had all of the service done at regular intervals including diff/transfer fluilds. Secondly what are other common problems/failures to look out for? Also am I eligable to get the driveshaft clunk problem fixed under warranty? Thank you in advance.
I can say I don't have the transfer case whine but I'm only at 21K miles. I don't know that I've heard anyone else mention that before.

The rear air suspension failing is more commonly brought up. I'd keep an eye on that.

The TSB on the driveline clunk is 7 years or 75,000 miles from the date the vehicle was put into service. You are under both so I'm thinking you should head on down to the dealer for both items. Stateside, the dealer gives a loaner while your ride is in the shop so I suspect the same up North.

Other than above, these are great trucks and should give you years of trouble free service.
Old 03-05-11, 07:12 AM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really a problem but just a heads up that the GX goes through rotors pretty fast. Also, you may experience an occasional sulpher smell from the exhaust. Not common for all of them but our Sequoia and GX both have it on rare occasions. If you have vibes in the steering wheel (and tires are perfectly balanced) have them check the rear control arms. They may have originally been tightened on a lift rather than on the ground. The last issue I can think of is a slight pin hole size leak at the bottom of the radiator that some vehicles develop.

Overall it is a very good vehicle and it is very well built. Excellent vehicle if you don't mind the smaller size of the 3rd row.

Enjoy and Welcome to the forum!
Old 03-05-11, 08:21 AM
repcapale
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick replies. I will definetly have to head down to the Lexus dealership and get these things taken care of. So nobody has heard of the transfer case whine? It does seem a bit odd. I check the fluid myself and it is perfect and looks brand new. It was replaced 15 000km ago. Do you guys hear any noise from it when in low gear? I must say it is a great truck. With the snow we got up here this winter it is unbeatable. I also own a Toyota FJ, but the Lexus is much more refined. Also does anyone here have an extended warranty from Lexus? Would it be worth it?
Old 03-05-11, 09:56 AM
mann777

Received 65 Likes on 31 Posts

The Whining noise is probably from the Front or Rear Differential, Time to check out the oil viscosity and color ( if really darkened grey or blackish) , and perhaps a change if not done. I did have that noise for quite some time, but the change settled the issue. It was audible enough to hear in the cabin on a quiet lane.