GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2006 GX 470 Buying Help Request

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 06:35 PM
Polara60
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GX 470 Buying Help Request

I am looking at a GX 470 and have gone through both Car Fax and Lexus to find out as much as I can about the car's service history but have only come up with to records at 5m and 35m miles...big gap. The car currently has 42m miles. The car is in great condition really outstanding but I am hesitant to invest in something that does not have a documented history.

So I realize that the car could well have been serviced off the grid. Would a complete check at a Lexus dealer provide better perspective of true car condition? Open to any suggestions...and big thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-11, 07:00 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

i'd take it to a mechanic or the lexus dealership for an inspection, should run you about a $100.
Old 03-08-11, 07:39 PM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Same here, I would do via the dealer for a detailed inspection and also if you have some know garage, you could take a second opinion, at least you will not regret later.
Old 03-08-11, 10:47 PM
MarioNY
Driver School Candidate

a GX with 42K on the clock is like a brand new car.If you know what a GX should sound and how it should drive there is nothing to worry about. How can you have any concerns for a car like that with such low miles. Dont be over concerned. Dont forget, Carfax is a private company that reports whatever is reported to them and not everything is reported to them. Have your mechanic check it and I am sure he wont find any problems with it. If I may ask what is the price for it??? Maybe the fact that there are not enough records on the carfax report can give you more of a negotiating power as well but I wouldnt be actually concerned with the carfax report .
Old 03-09-11, 04:20 AM
Polara60
Driver School Candidate

First thanks to all for taking the time to respond. My request to the dealer who is out of town will be to take the car to a Lexus dealership for a complete inspection I think that is a good move. My biggest concern has to do with proper oil changes and required service and brake condition. What should have been done by 42,000?

Not that this is big thing but the dealer replaced two of the tires which suggest that at least the tires were not rotated as they should of been. Mario the price is $31,000...options include 3rd Seat/Levinson/Nav/Spoiler/Accesory/Hitch. The car has been on the lot since mid-December so they are ready to deal. I search the VIN and found by cache they have come down from $33,000 original offer price. Again thanks to all for your support and thoughts! This is a birthday present to my wife.

I have also found a 07 with 36m miles at a dealer Lexus Certified for $36m same option packages. I realize Certifieds come with a 3 yr/100m mile bumper to bumper.So any thoughts on incremental investment/value between cars is welcome as well as set selling prices and actual selling prices on Certified cars..how much dealing space typically exists?

Last edited by Polara60; 03-09-11 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-09-11, 06:18 PM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't put much faith in Carfax, so I would have a mechanic verify it and not worry about. Carfax can be helpful but not always. An example: I have owned my Jeep Tj since 97 and I am a meticulous owner. Oil changes every 2k or less, synthetic fluids through out that are changed every 20k, all parts are changed WELL before service requirements, every bolt I have touched (more than you can imagine) has been checked twice to factory torque specs. 150k miles of completely trouble free driving. I wouldn't let a shop or stealership touch it with a 10 ft pole not even to do alignments. I could go on for days but you get the point. The point is (besides I may be a little OCD about my cars)
Is that my car fax shows 2 things other than yearly registration, when it was bought and no accidents.

I got a little out of hand with my answer (sorry) but I just don't understand why so many people put emphasis on the stupid Car "fox".

The GX is a wonderful vehicle and with 42k miles you should have a gem to start your on records on. Low enough miles to not worry past a simple trusted mechanic letting you know if there are any problems that are not easy to see.

Good luck and welcome!
Old 03-12-11, 04:01 AM
Polara60
Driver School Candidate

easgx470

Thanks for the insight. For any all I have found an 08 with the premium package CPO 3rd row and 28m miles with full service history. I realize this is a tough question but really what should be the price range? Listed at $42m.
Old 03-12-11, 01:21 PM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Price range is subject to location and supply & demand of the area. However, I would say a range for an 08 with that set up would be in the 35-40k range. CPO would put you at the top of the range and private owner at the bottom. Personally I think the car you listed could be had for 38k out the door in NC. However, Lexus dealers may be a great for service but I have had trouble buying from them. They tend to really like their cars.

The good thing to remember, regardless of which deal you choose, is the GX is a very good vehicle. Low maintenance if taken care of. There are GX lemons just the same as any car but there not as common.

Best of luck to you!
Old 03-16-11, 06:26 PM
Polara60
Driver School Candidate

easGX470...thank you for all the input its been helpful. Found no joy with the 08 Lexus as the Lexus dealership was really not being upfront on quite of few aspects of the car which I will not go into detail but if anyone wants further details PM me. The dealer was in Fla. Anyway they say 3rd time is a charm and I have found another 07 with 31m full service records every 5m miles but not CPO. It still is under its 4 yr service date so if I can get the numbers right I'm making an offer so extended warrantys are still possible if I decide to go that way.
Old 03-17-11, 03:25 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Polara60, First of all, welcome to the forum and good luck on working out a deal on that 07 with 31 k-miles.

Secondly, while Lexus service records are important, I would not make my decision based on their absence... Neither of my trucks went to the dealer for routine maintenance as most of it is pretty easy to do yourself. In addition, my father in law owns an auto shop, and more complex work was performed there; with my direct oversight. No dealer will allow you to be anywhere near work area, let alone stand side-by-side with a technician.

Having said that, both trucks are in excellent condition, both are fully serviced, both run on Mobil 1 synthetic fluids, etc... and if you were to pull the Lexus service record for my 06 GX, you would have seen only 2 visits to the dealer.

I think that an independent inspection by a Lexus dealer or a reputable mechanic that has experience with Toyota 120 platform is well worth a nominal fee that they charge and you should have it done if possible.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-11, 01:17 PM
Polara60
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help...finally found the ride. 2006 Black/Gray/Maple. 46,000 miles. All 9 5,000 mile service checks. New brakes,Mich Tires.Looks completely new. Had the original Lexus dealer check out the car and gave it a "perfect". The Audi dealer took it in on trade and just did front pads and oil/filter and a wash for a total of $366. So the car has not been heavily reconditioned. Only 3 service incidents in 5 years. 1 light bulb. 1 Faulty tire sensor. 1 stuck AC vent. Price $27,800 which is bascially Galves ready to go wholesale price. Now just wishing I could get an extended warranty but its born on date was Jan 12 2006. Mrs Polara60 now has her birthday car 3 days late. We are excited to be offically in the club.

Last edited by Polara60; 03-22-11 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-22-11, 02:57 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Congratulations!!! So when are you taking the delivery? Post the pics when you get a chance.

It sounds like you found a great deal on a great truck. Only one thing seems a little odd to me - front pads needed replacement at 46K? They usually last till 60-65K (at least that is my experience).
Old 03-22-11, 08:09 PM
Polara60
Driver School Candidate

snhrph,

So at the 45 service check just 1,000 miles ago the Lexus dealer made no notes regarding front pads. My guess is they were in the 4-5 range and the Audi dealer decided to make the replacement. Delivery was today though I am in Orlando on business so didn't get to see her smile all the way home with the car. I will be sure to post up some pics..thanks again for you input.