GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

'Clack' sound when braking

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 07:41 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good lord that's a lot of money. I just did a complete upgraded brake system from scratch for less than that on my GS300
Old 02-23-12, 08:08 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

Originally Posted by snhrph
T

mobius8, make sure you bed your new brakes properly to get optimum performance.
Drive it like normal, follow OEM instructions and ignore all the internet anecdotes about how much better street pads are when you bed them in.

When I read "This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A strong smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal" all I can think is "You're getting damn close to boiling your DOT 3 factory fluid that isn't meant for this ****"

Last edited by RandomTech; 02-23-12 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-23-12, 09:59 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jtamulis
good lord that's a lot of money. I just did a complete upgraded brake system from scratch for less than that on my GS300
And that's WITH the Sewell discount!

I just want OEM parts. Play it conservative.
Old 02-23-12, 10:00 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RandomTech
Drive it like normal, follow OEM instructions and ignore all the internet anecdotes about how much better street pads are when you bed them in.

When I read "This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A strong smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal" all I can think is "You're getting damn close to boiling your DOT 3 factory fluid that isn't meant for this ****"
Random, what is the Toyota/Lexus recommended bedding procedure? Just brake gently first 400 miles? Thx.
Old 02-25-12, 08:26 PM
jaywkang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bedding in pads is absolutely required for racing compounds. The heat cycles seems to "cure" the material that holds the friction material in the shape of the brake pad. This is a must. I've ruined a couple sets of Hawk Performance pads by not heat cycling them properly. But, for regular, street compounds, it is a bit of hype. Hard braking may, perhaps, shape the pad so that it matches the grooves of old rotors faster giving you more surface area for more bite, quicker. By all means, if your pads came with specific bedding procedures, follow them.

Did you brake clean the faces of the new rotors to remove the oil coating from the factory? Light braking for both new and old pads can cause glazing on the rotors. I like to give my brakes a nice long, hard application every once in a while to clean the surfaces of the pads and the rotors, especially when I start hearing some noise from the brakes.

This was the first thing I'd do to customer's cars when they brought them to us for squeaky brakes.

Another thing I do is when I reach the end of an exit ramp and am stopped at the light. I let the car roll a bit and reapply the brakes with just enough pressure to hold the car, no more, repeat. This allows the rotor to move a bit so the "hot spot" under the pads can move to cool off. I have not had warped rotors in any of my vehicles after I started this little habit.

The clank the OP is experiencing is for sure caused by the pad moving around in the carrier. I always use brake spray adhesive on the backs of the pads so that they don't vibrate and squeak or in this case, clank as they move around. All Pagid and Jurid pads for Porsches came with double stick shims to glue the pads into the calipers. Now, Porsche doesn't utilize floating pads in a carriers but the pads did still float in the caliper held in place by two pins and yes, they can be very noisy brakes without the shims.
Old 02-25-12, 08:51 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Cool, but what does Toyota say to do for the GX?
Old 02-26-12, 03:54 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

Originally Posted by ROK
Cool, but what does Toyota say to do for the GX?
Just drive them normally. Nothing special required.
Old 02-26-12, 04:49 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by jaywkang
Bedding in pads is absolutely required for racing compounds. The heat cycles seems to "cure" the material that holds the friction material in the shape of the brake pad. This is a must. I've ruined a couple sets of Hawk Performance pads by not heat cycling them properly. But, for regular, street compounds, it is a bit of hype. Hard braking may, perhaps, shape the pad so that it matches the grooves of old rotors faster giving you more surface area for more bite, quicker. By all means, if your pads came with specific bedding procedures, follow them.

Did you brake clean the faces of the new rotors to remove the oil coating from the factory? Light braking for both new and old pads can cause glazing on the rotors. I like to give my brakes a nice long, hard application every once in a while to clean the surfaces of the pads and the rotors, especially when I start hearing some noise from the brakes.

This was the first thing I'd do to customer's cars when they brought them to us for squeaky brakes.

Another thing I do is when I reach the end of an exit ramp and am stopped at the light. I let the car roll a bit and reapply the brakes with just enough pressure to hold the car, no more, repeat. This allows the rotor to move a bit so the "hot spot" under the pads can move to cool off. I have not had warped rotors in any of my vehicles after I started this little habit.

The clank the OP is experiencing is for sure caused by the pad moving around in the carrier. I always use brake spray adhesive on the backs of the pads so that they don't vibrate and squeak or in this case, clank as they move around. All Pagid and Jurid pads for Porsches came with double stick shims to glue the pads into the calipers. Now, Porsche doesn't utilize floating pads in a carriers but the pads did still float in the caliper held in place by two pins and yes, they can be very noisy brakes without the shims.
Anti rattle clips Toyota OEM part, should come with the shim kit otherwise 6 bucks, keeps those pads from rattling around in the calipers.
Old 02-26-12, 08:27 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

Originally Posted by jaywkang
...I like to give my brakes a nice long, hard application ...This was the first thing I'd do to customer's cars when they brought them to us for squeaky brakes....

.... I always use brake spray adhesive on the backs of the pads so that they don't vibrate and squeak or in this case, clank as they move around....

...they can be very noisy brakes without the shims....
1) Hard application will never fix a noise complaint, temporarily or permanently

2) Toyota has a special high-temp lithium grease specifically for OEM pads and shims. They, in several TSB regarding brake noise, advise on only using this for their pads. An adhesive pulls the teflon anti-noise coating off of the factory shims.

3) The shims don't stop the pads moving around on the GX, the...
Originally Posted by ALAN533
Anti rattle clips Toyota OEM part, should come with the shim kit otherwise 6 bucks, keeps those pads from rattling around in the calipers.
Old 02-27-12, 10:34 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RandomTech
1) Hard application will never fix a noise complaint, temporarily or permanently

2) Toyota has a special high-temp lithium grease specifically for OEM pads and shims. They, in several TSB regarding brake noise, advise on only using this for their pads. An adhesive pulls the teflon anti-noise coating off of the factory shims.

3) The shims don't stop the pads moving around on the GX, the...
Random, thx for your advice. Pls post more!
Old 02-27-12, 10:34 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

FYI, really impressed with Sewell's order fulfillment process. Very pro.
Old 06-06-12, 01:13 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
I ordered new brake parts from Sewell today:

-How important is it to bed in the rotors/pads?
-Anything I'm missing from the above?

Thanks.
Hey ROK - was this everything you needed? I'm about to place the same order, without the rotors.
Old 06-06-12, 09:41 PM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mobius8
Bought a 2004 GX470 a few months ago.
Took it into the local Toyota dealer for oil change (40+ miles to nearest Lexus)
They told me I needed to replace front brake pads, so I did that.
Immediately after they finished I noticed what I would describe as a clack or clank sound when pressing or releasing the brake pedal.
This sound was not there before. I went back inside and told them, the tech came out and listened and said it would probably go away.
I took the car back in a couple weeks later and they applied some type of lube which didn't help. The service rep said that the only way to remove sound was to replace some type of pin.

I'm sorry I am sort of ignorant here as I don't fully understand the mechanics of the system.
Does anyone know what sort of pin they would be referring to?
Is this legit that there was no sound before pad replacement and now there is?

Thank you for your time and knowledge. I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question.
Mobius
Could you check this Lip Protection which are behind the Brake Rotor, if they are bit loose, I mean Vertical Spin Wise and Horizointal. While Braking they do make a clank noise.
Once I had this when I had finished the brake set up and had to just to re-align as it was not seated properlyt. If you know what I mean. You need to tighten the Bolt/Nuts from the rear. Here is a image to understand that.

Last edited by mann777; 02-27-13 at 09:41 PM.