GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

'Clack' sound when braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 09:12 PM
mobius8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Clack' sound when braking

Bought a 2004 GX470 a few months ago.
Took it into the local Toyota dealer for oil change (40+ miles to nearest Lexus)
They told me I needed to replace front brake pads, so I did that.
Immediately after they finished I noticed what I would describe as a clack or clank sound when pressing or releasing the brake pedal.
This sound was not there before. I went back inside and told them, the tech came out and listened and said it would probably go away.
I took the car back in a couple weeks later and they applied some type of lube which didn't help. The service rep said that the only way to remove sound was to replace some type of pin.

I'm sorry I am sort of ignorant here as I don't fully understand the mechanics of the system.
Does anyone know what sort of pin they would be referring to?
Is this legit that there was no sound before pad replacement and now there is?

Thank you for your time and knowledge. I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question.
Old 03-18-11, 07:43 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome : Right forum for your question.

The clack sound you hear happens b/c the pads shift w/in the caliper when the brakes are applied (the piston pushing the pads into the spinning rotor). You probably only hear this at lower speeds but it'll happen going forward or in reverse.

Suspect whoever replaced your pads didn't use the pad shims, spring retention clips and or reused the old pad retaining pin hardware (which may have been bent/out of spec) when new should have been used.

See this recent thread for more help...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...t-caliper.html

Old 03-18-11, 07:59 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Agree with Burg, they likely didn't replace the shims and clips. Ask the dealer and if they didn't replace them tell them they need to and you shouldn't pay for the labor to do it. Parts okay, labor no.
Old 03-18-11, 11:34 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 145 Posts

had the same thing with last brake job done at lexus, now 30,000 later just had it done again at a private shop, had to replace calipers, rotors and pads at 107,000 miles. The calipers were really nice, painted, and clearly the last brake job was not done correctly and i just assumed it was "a truck." i just started driving it in the last two years becasue the wife has been using it before. hated the brakes until this job was done. The shop used centrex ceramic pads and rotors. they cleaned all the hoses and fittings, etc, the front brake assembly looks like new.
Old 03-19-11, 12:01 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are 2 different brake pad kits available from Toyota: 04465-35290 that contains only brake pads and 04465-AZ001-TM that contains the shim kit and grease in addition to the brake pads.

Brake pads are the same in both kits.

Most dealers will use 35290 kit while performing brake service and most will NOT give you an option of choosing AZ001-TM kit.

In real life, however, you can safely reuse your old shims as long as they were not damaged during disassembly.

mobius8, make sure you bed your new brakes properly to get optimum performance.
Old 03-21-11, 07:30 AM
mobius8
Driver School Candidate

BurgBoxstr, thanks for the info. I also watched some videos on youtube about replacing brake pads and I have bit more understanding of how it all works.
I'm unclear of what direction the pads may be shifting.
Would they be shifting back and forth towards the rear and front of the car, or up and down, or in and out.

My assumption is that they would be moving in and out, when the piston pushes the pad in against the rotor and then the spinning rotor throws the pad back against the piston and this is the noise.
Is that about right?

Still can't figure out where the 'pin' is that they were telling me would need to be replaced in order to remove sound completely.
I am distrustful of mechanics, and since this sound was not there before, my logic is that any part that may be causing a noise and need replacement would have caused a noise and needed replacement before the pads were replaced.
I have mechanics that I trust, but the wife doesn't want to use them for her Lexus, she wants Toyota or Lexus service only. And I don't trust any other mechanics, so perhaps with the help of this forum I will just learn to do a lot of these things myself.
Old 03-21-11, 07:32 AM
mobius8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by snhrph
mobius8, make sure you bed your new brakes properly to get optimum performance.
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with that term. How do I bed them?
Old 03-22-11, 09:33 AM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mobius8
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with that term. How do I bed them?
The link below will explain what bedding is and will outline the process.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Old 03-22-11, 10:36 AM
ALAN553
Racer

The link below will explain what bedding is and will outline the process.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
my understanding is, this procedure is for high performance pads, rotors etc, auto xcrosing, racing etc, that OEM pad s and rotors, as stated in owners manuals, just go easy for the first 400 miles or so, no short stops, no heavy braking etc.
Old 03-22-11, 01:11 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ALAN553
my understanding is, this procedure is for high performance pads, rotors etc, auto xcrosing, racing etc, that OEM pad s and rotors, as stated in owners manuals, just go easy for the first 400 miles or so, no short stops, no heavy braking etc.
That was exactly my way of thinking, until I decided to give it a try... What a difference!!! And I do not run performance set up - both trucks have Toyota OEM pads and original rotors.

My 4Runner was first to require new front pads. I replaced the pads and was not quite happy with the brakes' performance, but figured I would give it a little time to "brake-in" under "carefull" driving codnitions (as stated in the manual). Unfortunatley, the brakes performance did not get any better, the pedal felt "sluggish", and I was not happy.

When the time came to have the front pads replaced on the GX, I decided to try to "bed" the brakes according to the process described here. I was so happy with the result, that I decided to try and bed the brakes on 4Runner (they already had several thousand miles on them). And it worked again.

Now I am a firm believer in bedding the brakes.

Link below will explain the logic behind the "bedding" process Removing the Mystery from Brake Pad Bed-In
and give instructions for bedding the "stock" brake pads

StopTech's Recommended Procedure for Bedding-in Stock-Sized Brake Systems

Last edited by snhrph; 03-22-11 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-22-11, 08:26 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

That was exactly my way of thinking, until I decided to give it a try... What a difference!!! And I do not run performance set up - both trucks have Toyota OEM pads and original rotors.

My 4Runner was first to require new front pads. I replaced the pads and was not quite happy with the brakes' performance, but figured I would give it a little time to "brake-in" under "carefull" driving codnitions (as stated in the manual). Unfortunatley, the brakes performance did not get any better, the pedal felt "sluggish", and I was not happy.

When the time came to have the front pads replaced on the GX, I decided to try to "bed" the brakes according to the process described here. I was so happy with the result, that I decided to try and bed the brakes on 4Runner (they already had several thousand miles on them). And it worked again.

Now I am a firm believer in bedding the brakes.

Link below will explain the logic behind the "bedding" process Removing the Mystery from Brake Pad Bed-In
and give instructions for bedding the "stock" brake pads

StopTech's Recommended Procedure for Bedding-in Stock-Sized Brake Systems
I think I did a bed in but with cars behind you on the highway its a little tricky to do without getting pulled over by the Police.
Old 03-23-11, 05:58 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
I think I did a bed in but with cars behind you on the highway its a little tricky to do without getting pulled over by the Police.
Ha, my thoughts exactly, i was trying to figure out a place to do this other than Route 80 at 3 in the morning, i will have to opt for the simple way of taking it easy and many times, putting car in neutral at a light with foot off brakes so pads come off rotor after a stop.
Old 03-23-11, 12:08 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Ha, my thoughts exactly, i was trying to figure out a place to do this other than Route 80 at 3 in the morning, i will have to opt for the simple way of taking it easy and many times, putting car in neutral at a light with foot off brakes so pads come off rotor after a stop.
Come-on boys, if there is a will there is a way.

I was in Queens with GX, along side Belt Parkway on Conduit Ave in the afternoon. And the 4Runner's brakes were "bedded" on a small local wooded road in the evening not far from Route 9.

There are plenty of local roads in ANY town...
Old 03-23-11, 05:24 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Im so confused. I put on slotted/drilled rotors with ceramic pads and wonder if I should drive easy for 400 miles or "bed in". Seems like polar opposites, I tried the bed in on my way home from work last night at midnight. Now that would totally go against the drive easy for 400 miles seeing as though I basically panic stopped 10 times from 60mph to 10mph. Any one know if this applies to slotted/drilled with ceramics? Ive never bedded in pads before and aside from my last OEM Lexus rotors never had a problem.
Old 02-23-12, 06:03 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I ordered new brake parts from Sewell today:

-How important is it to bed in the rotors/pads?
-Anything I'm missing from the above?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 'Clack' sound when braking