GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

CPO sales issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 07:44 AM
kalcris
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CPO sales issue

Don't know if this is the right place to post this but, saw a CPO GX listed on the Lexus CPO site. Called the dealer told them which vehicle I was interested in. Sales guy calls me back tells me the price listed is the price - plus $995 recondtion fee and $2995 CPO fee if I want CPO. I told him it is on the Lexus site as a CPO - at the price listed, which I would think would include the CPO designation. He says no, they are mistakes and he'll get back to me. Dealer has several other vehicles listed as CPO and I would imagine that they are really not CPO either.

I've purchased new Rx's before and have never had anything but good experiences with the dealer I bought from. This is not the same dealer I bought the Rx from.

Anyone have a similar experience?
Old 03-29-11, 08:40 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

that sounds shaddy as hell. in my experiance CPO=CPO. granted, you are probably paying for all of that in the list price, but not on top like this dealer would like you to.
Old 03-29-11, 08:58 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Move on to another dealer, or ask to speak to a supervisor. If it's listed as CPO, it should be CPO. You shouldn't pay anything extra on top of the listed price. That's false advertising and it's illegal.
Old 03-29-11, 09:13 AM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, what is the listed price of the vehicle? What is the year and is it a sport with KDSS? Reason I'm asking is it would help to know the asking price to see if the extra $3K is justified. I mean, if they are asking $30K for an 08 with 20K miles plus the $3K extra I guess it would be worth it even if it's a really shaddy way of getting up to an asking price. Has to be a ploy to get calls?? It's a crappy business practice and even worse if the asking price is high. I know a CPO will generally be a bit more expensive than non-CPO. Many members here will suggest you get your own insurance as it will be cheaper.

Oh, and that reconditioning fee, they can put that where the sun don't shine. LAME.
Old 03-29-11, 09:23 AM
kalcris
Rookie

They want $34,000 for the 2008 GX plus $995 recon fee plus $2995 CPO fee. I have looked at other 2008's at non lexus dealers but the prices haven't been much cheaper, add the Toyota/lexus warranty for a couple of grand it comes out to almost the same as the dealer. And I'm not looking to spend $38,000, i figured low 30"s with cpo was a within my price range.
Old 03-29-11, 01:55 PM
Bob GX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think CPO brings with it a warranty - maybe he was just stating a price for both with & without the warranty? When I purchased an extended warranty on my 04 GX there was an inspection that had to be done - so there wasn't a 'hidden' problem already there that would be a warranty claim the next week - perhaps that is the reconditioning fee?

In any case tell them what you want and ask for their best price at the bottom line & what it includes - then you can make an informed decision. And get it in writing...just a good business practice
Old 03-29-11, 02:16 PM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think what they want do is to make car CPO at your own expense.
Old 03-29-11, 05:51 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I had the same experience at Lexus of Edison last year! I walked away. I had been working with dealers from NJ, MD, DE and VA and none of them added $$$ to have CPO. Especially when the website listed as CPO at $$$ price.

Just walk away, there will be other deals.
Old 03-29-11, 06:09 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My insider told me that just about any Lexus on the lot could be made CPO. You pay for the CPO fee and you're golden. Or, deduct the CPO premium from one that already has it built-in. This dealer didnt pay the CPO fee to Lexus until it was sold so it wasnt a big deal to the dealer one way or the other (granted they wanted to sell the car with a higher price). However, in this case, it sounds like total BS on the stealership's part. Maybe it's a mistake, but I call BS. Walk away and make them regret their unscrupulous bait and switch sales practice.
Old 03-30-11, 06:53 AM
kalcris
Rookie

The Dealer said they would call me back yesterday with a price, and I emailed the sales manager as a reminder. They are not going to call me back as the sales weasel didn't even say goodbye when we ended our conversation - he hung up. I didn't know that you could opt out of a CPO if it advertised as such, if the dealer will take off the full amount of the upcharge, you can buy it for less money throught the the toyota dealers mentioned on this board
Old 03-30-11, 10:50 AM
rbx10
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check out other framers for comparison. The reconditioning fee is a first for me.