GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

evap core. dash removal. (((CARNAGE PICS!!!)))

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 01:57 PM
jbw5485
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default evap core. dash removal. (((CARNAGE PICS!!!)))

brought the wife's gx 470 into my shop to remove dash to replace evap core last weekend. snapped some quick shots while the dash was out.
\everything went smoothly

notice the big white box in the middle under where the dash was.....that's the hvac box, contains heater core and evap core. it had to come all the way out also. should've taken pictures with it out too...oh well. enjoy the carnage.
Attached Thumbnails evap core. dash removal. (((CARNAGE PICS!!!)))-photo.jpg   evap core. dash removal. (((CARNAGE PICS!!!)))-photo-2.jpg   evap core. dash removal. (((CARNAGE PICS!!!)))-photo-3.jpg   evap core. dash removal. (((CARNAGE PICS!!!)))-photo-4.jpg  
Old 05-23-11, 02:44 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

Wow, impressive carnage. That looks like the opposite of fun.
The following users liked this post:
tg9266 (08-01-21)
Old 05-23-11, 08:43 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

OUCH!!! Looks like a lot of work...

Hope it was worth your while... if you know what I mean...
Old 05-23-11, 09:10 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup....these are a fun job....pays good for tech hours
Old 05-24-11, 09:52 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should add VAIS Ipod interface, and a lot of other stuff.
Old 05-24-11, 01:45 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

shmoly hit - now that IS some serious carnage.

Glad it went smooth for you though
Old 05-24-11, 07:55 PM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default how long, how much and is it back together?

Evap core, haven't heard of many going out. What were the symptoms?
How long did this take. Was it pretty straightforward and did it work after you got it back together. Lots awful but sometime they are pretty straightforward. Was it? Thanks, Al
Old 05-25-11, 04:45 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say is, WOW...

Turby
Old 05-25-11, 06:01 PM
jbw5485
Driver School Candidate

guys to be honest, i'd rather do these kind of jobs than anything else. my labor guide called for around 7 hours or so for the evap core. and it's really not difficult, just time consuming but it's fun.

symptom was no a/c... .....lol. wouldn't hold a charge over a week. took me forever to find where she was leaking. finally used the dye and our black light. only place i could see the dye was the condesation drain tube. which our freon sniffer didn't pick up freon there for some reason.

Al....i started on it around 11:00 sat morning, found a good stopping point around 5:00pm (which was new evap core in the hvac box and the box bolted back into the car). finished everything up in 3 or 4 hrs the next day.

not exactly straight forward. thats what alldata is for though. haha
i've taken plenty of dashes out and this one was deff one of the most in depth. not that it was hard.....just that there was so many wires, plugs, computer boxes and control units. none of the other vehicles i've done evap or heater cores to had anywhere near the same amount of *****.

of course everything worked when i put it back together.

oh i forgot.....you guys will get a kick out of this....and it may help you in the future.......

i had all the windows down and the sunroof open and batt unhooked the entire time i did the job. while i was testing everything out once i was finished with the job i went to close the sunroof and it didn't do the auto one touch close thing. so i closed it all the way then opened it back up all the way. then the auto one touch started working. guess it had to learn it's end points agian.

and only the drivers side window worked. non of the other windows would go up. first thing i thought of was damn i left a plug unhooked somewhere. before i decided to start digging back in, my father came over to help check things over....he was messing around with the drivers door switches while i was dicking around on the passenger front door. the window started going up and stopped. but then it wouldn't respond to the switches again. we finally figured out that we hit BOTH switches at the same time. had to make it learn its end points again too.. had to do this with all windows. hold the drivers door switch and the switch on the corrisponding door at the same time until the window went all the way up.
Old 05-26-11, 06:02 AM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Very nice work! I wish I would have that kind of fun. I guess the window stuffs relate to the battery disconection. Very helpful info, thanks for sharing.
tg9266 (08-01-21)
Old 05-26-11, 06:52 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Looking at that first pic hurts my eys.
tg9266 (08-01-21)
Old 05-29-11, 02:41 PM
jbw5485
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tz693
Very nice work! I wish I would have that kind of fun. I guess the window stuffs relate to the battery disconection. Very helpful info, thanks for sharing.
yeah, so i'm thinking it'd be best to leave all windows up and sunroof closed when doing anything that might cause memory loss. unhooking any bcm's or battery. it was hot that day and i had no a/c so the drive to the shop was nice with windows down and sunroof open..haha. learn from my mistakes. glad that's the only issues i had throughout the process.

if any of you guys need this job done, hit me up. my shop labor rate is only $70 (way cheaper than dealer), family business ran by father and son. i've done the job once, so it would be cake the second time around.

p.s. i'll leave your windows up..
Old 05-29-11, 04:28 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

all lexus do that once the bat is disconnect for a while, even with the windows up or down, you just have to go to the corresponding windows and do the reinitialization process before the auto feature and the driver master switch works
Old 06-20-11, 09:51 PM
RXstate
Driver School Candidate

Can you contact me? I don't feel like doing this job myself, but I'm afraid I might have to. First though, tell me where the condensate drain line is. I've got dye in my system, but the only place I see it with the black light is at the dessicant nut (understandable since I had to open it to put in fresh dessicant) and at the low pressure valve (also understandable since I may not have taken the guage set off quick enough). I'm using the black light at night since it's much easier to see, but I just don't see anything. I'm in Charlotte.
Old 06-20-11, 09:52 PM
RXstate
Driver School Candidate

Could you fax me a copy of the a11data evap instructions?

Quick Reply: evap core. dash removal. (((CARNAGE PICS!!!)))