GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Question about brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 05:12 PM
JASP615
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about brake pads?

Hi Guys,

Once again I'm requesting your help with what kind of brake pads you are all using? It's getting close to the time that we will need to replace my rear brakes and I could use your suggestions as to what you are using and if you are ordering them off line or going through the dealership. Are you replacing them yourself or do you have the dealership do it.

We were caught off guard with my front ones and paid almost 400 to have them replaced. I won't do that again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sami
Old 06-21-11, 08:32 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

There were numerous discussions on this forum about the brake pads, both OEM and aftermarket.

Without going into the discussion again, I would suggest using the SAME brand of pads for the rear axle as you used for the front.

Btw, I use OEM on both.
Old 06-22-11, 07:33 AM
JASP615
Driver

Thank you for your suggestion. I don't know what they used on the front since the dealer is who installed them. I'm guessing OEM. Do you order yours off the internet or do you order them through the dealership? I will search for more info on the site.

Sami
Old 06-22-11, 01:41 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I buy OEM as well through a toyo dship. If your just replacing break pads then doing yourself isn't too much of a hassle. If you have vibration issues and need to replace the rotors then unless you have the tools and a place to do it then I'd leave it to a shop.
Old 06-22-11, 05:51 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Sami,

Since you said your front pads were replaced by a Lexus dealer, I would think that you have OEM front pads.

Like kphu, I bought my pads at Toyota dealer. Your Lexus dealer may match that price.

We have a sponsor Sewell Lexus here on the board that offers very good discounts to CL members. Search the forum, you will find a link to their website.

I've seen OEM pads on many online sites, including ebay, but the saving were not substantial enough to justify waiting for the product - nothing beats instant gratification.
Old 06-22-11, 11:15 PM
Bob GX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JASP615

We were caught off guard with my front ones and paid almost 400 to have them replaced. I won't do that again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sami
Was the 400 just for pads or did they do some work on the rotors or calipers as well?! That much just for replacement pads is alarming.....
Old 06-24-11, 01:09 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

OEM and I buy from a Toyota dealer. You could also check prices at Sewell.
Old 06-26-11, 01:44 PM
JASP615
Driver

We got screwed I know that. What happen was my alternator went while down the shore and it was a long story. While they had the truck they told us that that when they pulled the wheels because my rims were being replaced that we needed front brakes. I have never in all the years of driving trucks did I need my front brakes replaced as early as they were telling me that I needed them done, but they had us over a barrel because by the time we got the truck back we would have been going away on vacation so there was no time to do it ourselves.

They charge us 300.00 dollars labor. I was pissed but what could we do. I now have 38,000 miles on the truck so we want to replace the brakes on the rear before we get into the same problem. Right now my readings are 9/B on front and 6/B on rear.

No problem with the rotors or the calibers just brake pads need replacement.

Thanks so much I'm going to look now at the site. Hubby will do it sometime this week if we get them in time.

Sami

Last edited by JASP615; 06-26-11 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-26-11, 02:05 PM
JASP615
Driver

Thanks guys, I just ordered from Sewell for a great price. Hope they have fast shipping so I can get them this week. This is the first truck hubby has not worked on. I'm getting tired that every time we have the truck in for service it comes back with something else that needs to be fixed. I have an appointment for Thursday because the last time it was in the removed the engine covers and when we just opened the hood we found out that they just laid the covers on the engine with nothing holding them in place. Back it goes.

Sami

Sami
Old 06-26-11, 07:41 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JASP615
Thanks guys, I just ordered from Sewell for a great price. Hope they have fast shipping so I can get them this week. This is the first truck hubby has not worked on. I'm getting tired that every time we have the truck in for service it comes back with something else that needs to be fixed. I have an appointment for Thursday because the last time it was in the removed the engine covers and when we just opened the hood we found out that they just laid the covers on the engine with nothing holding them in place. Back it goes.

Sami

Sami
You'd be surprised to know how much that happens (not putting the clips bak in to secure the covers)