GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Axle boots leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 11:47 AM
raffiGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle boots leaking?

Anybody DIY replace the Axle Assembly. I noticed a bunch of grease splattered on the low control arms both sides. Replace the inner and outer boots or has anybody replaced the whole assembly? I got a price of $105. per axle. Non-dealer.
Old 06-27-11, 01:54 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by raffiGX
Anybody DIY replace the Axle Assembly. I noticed a bunch of grease splattered on the low control arms both sides. Replace the inner and outer boots or has anybody replaced the whole assembly? I got a price of $105. per axle. Non-dealer.
My boots where not torn, the clamp came loose, when I was in for tires a few weeks ago they replace all the clamps, both sides for me, clearance is not a problem so a hose clamp can also be used. They did not even charge me.
Old 06-27-11, 03:06 PM
raffiGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALAN553
My boots where not torn, the clamp came loose, when I was in for tires a few weeks ago they replace all the clamps, both sides for me, clearance is not a problem so a hose clamp can also be used. They did not even charge me.
I guess I'll crawl under it and check mine out too. I'm really hoping mine is loose too. I'd hate to have to spend the money right now. I also noticed that pinkish coolant at the bottom of my radiator on both sides. I might have a small leak. Might have to replace that sooner then later.
Old 06-27-11, 07:33 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by raffiGX
I guess I'll crawl under it and check mine out too. I'm really hoping mine is loose too. I'd hate to have to spend the money right now. I also noticed that pinkish coolant at the bottom of my radiator on both sides. I might have a small leak. Might have to replace that sooner then later.
Been there done that too, was under warranty then
Old 06-27-11, 08:16 PM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the same situation that you are in, saw the clamps loose, and all the grease splattered, and had them cleaned up, tightened the clamps around the hose, after 6 months had the strange noise, squeeking type, ended up replacing the boots,clamps, the bearings with the ball joints.
My suggestion, dont go up and re-clamp it, as all the grease is out of the boots, the bearings gets dried and then they will end up clanking and grinding, breakl apart. ( this is not to scare you, just get on with your preventive maintenance) Go get the special grease which is the toyota dealer and have them replaced. I can give you the part numbers if required. hope this helps
Old 06-28-11, 04:54 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by mann777
I had the same situation that you are in, saw the clamps loose, and all the grease splattered, and had them cleaned up, tightened the clamps around the hose, after 6 months had the strange noise, squeeking type, ended up replacing the boots,clamps, the bearings with the ball joints.
My suggestion, dont go up and re-clamp it, as all the grease is out of the boots, the bearings gets dried and then they will end up clanking and grinding, breakl apart. ( this is not to scare you, just get on with your preventive maintenance) Go get the special grease which is the toyota dealer and have them replaced. I can give you the part numbers if required. hope this helps
If all the grease is out, you must repack the boots. A very messy job. However in my case, I caught it early, just a small amount of grease had gotten out, because only the clamp was loose. If the boot is torn most of the grease will get out. It is your call based upon how much grease you think you lost.
Old 06-28-11, 09:01 AM
raffiGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALAN553
If all the grease is out, you must repack the boots. A very messy job. However in my case, I caught it early, just a small amount of grease had gotten out, because only the clamp was loose. If the boot is torn most of the grease will get out. It is your call based upon how much grease you think you lost.
Well, After a closer look. Both inner boots are torn. Lots of grease has come out. I was wondering how this could of happened? the rubber doesn't look brittle. I wonder if when my wife drives it she hits those speed bumps pretty fast; could that do it? Or with 85,000 miles is this normal wear & tear?
Old 06-28-11, 10:11 AM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Raffi, every service interval of lexus on GX has got an on vehicle inspection. And they are
3. INSPECT BALL JOINTS AND DUST COVERS
(a) Inspect the ball joints for excessive looseness.
(b) Check the dust cover for damage.
4. INSPECT DRIVE SHAFT BOOTS
(a) Check the drive shaft boots for clamp looseness, oil leakage or damage. Tighten bolt loseness.
Now the question is if you are doing you own maintenance, maybe this would have missed out as the shaft boots are to be checked on every 5000 mile for clamp looseness.
And normally the dealer if they find any grease leak or crack on the boots, they do a complete replacement. The Grease is a special grease, ( two tubes are mixed and repacked to the ball joint bearings & clamped ).
Old 06-28-11, 10:48 AM
raffiGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mann777
Raffi, every service interval of lexus on GX has got an on vehicle inspection. And they are
3. INSPECT BALL JOINTS AND DUST COVERS
(a) Inspect the ball joints for excessive looseness.
(b) Check the dust cover for damage.
4. INSPECT DRIVE SHAFT BOOTS
(a) Check the drive shaft boots for clamp looseness, oil leakage or damage. Tighten bolt loseness.
Now the question is if you are doing you own maintenance, maybe this would have missed out as the shaft boots are to be checked on every 5000 mile for clamp looseness.
And normally the dealer if they find any grease leak or crack on the boots, they do a complete replacement. The Grease is a special grease, ( two tubes are mixed and repacked to the ball joint bearings & clamped ).
I did my own oil change 5000 miles ago and did not notice any grease. And none of the clamps are loose. Both inside boots are torn away from the clamp inner most. Why? Could it be my wife and speed bumps
Old 06-28-11, 11:08 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Speed bumps are not going to cause your boots to tear or become loose. Not sure why they would be torn away