GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-11, 08:21 AM
GrantM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt

Im a newbie and needing a little advise before I address a few repairs as I am not mechanically inclined. I have 2005 Gx470(bought it new) with 170k miles and amazingly have not had the timing belt changed nor any other major repairs to date. I can sense even though I have little knowledge in this area that it is not running quite as smooth. I am going to get the timing belt changed this next week but curious as to what are the signs the belt is going bad, what can I expect to be charged, and do I need to use a certified Lexus dealer or mechanic or can I use a neighborhood shop? Also, since someone could take me to town easily what other work might they try to encourage me to do that I might not need? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks, Grant
Old 07-02-11, 12:30 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantM
Im a newbie and needing a little advise before I address a few repairs as I am not mechanically inclined. I have 2005 Gx470(bought it new) with 170k miles and amazingly have not had the timing belt changed nor any other major repairs to date. I can sense even though I have little knowledge in this area that it is not running quite as smooth. I am going to get the timing belt changed this next week but curious as to what are the signs the belt is going bad, what can I expect to be charged, and do I need to use a certified Lexus dealer or mechanic or can I use a neighborhood shop? Also, since someone could take me to town easily what other work might they try to encourage me to do that I might not need? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks, Grant
I don't think there are symptoms of a deteriorating timing belt. It either is intact or it snaps and the engine stops!!
Old 07-02-11, 01:15 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

They can have cracks and missing teeth. Once witnessed an LS400 with a ton of miles on the original belt and it had to be missing at least 20 teeth on it. It was THAT close to going, I just shook my head.

It is a fairly straight forward job on the GX, I did mine a while back due to age not mileage.
Old 07-02-11, 02:43 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 145 Posts

PS, usually recommend doing the water pump at the same time seeings how you have to remove it to get to belt. 170k without doing either...we are all probably buying in to toyota's over zealous, money making maintenance schedule, ha! Also if you have not done anything to the truck and it's not running so great, spark plugs, PCValve, and an new air filter might help. You also might want to check and see if the glove box has a book in it with lots of other things to spend your money on, all the fluids changed etc. Maybe you can get another 170k out of it. Timing belt and water pump can run you anywhere from 850 to 1400 depending on who you let do the work and your negotiating skills.

Last edited by ALAN553; 07-02-11 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-02-11, 03:46 PM
GrantM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys recommend utilizing a certified Lexus mechanic or is it an easy enough job that most any reputable car garage can do the job without any worries? Many thanks for the responses. Happy 4th! ~G
Old 07-02-11, 04:40 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

At that mileage do the water pump and purchase a time kit which will have a tensioner and pulleys (new bearings). Might as well get it done right. It is a very straight forward job on this vehicle.
Old 07-02-11, 06:55 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantM
Wow that's pretty amazing! Someone else said water pump so with that the thermostat should be changed. I would also do the transmissoin fluid as well.

As for a local shop vs dealership, I would go with a local shop if they have previous experience working on the GX or Toyota SUV; this should save you a few bucks.

Last edited by kphu; 07-02-11 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-14-11, 07:53 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With that much miles and you stating you never done any serious maintenance then get ready to spend money.

Look through the manual and do everything the book has requested to get done through out the years and miles.

Rear diff, front diff, tranny, transfer case, tune up, water pump, radiator fluid change, radiator hoses, serpentine belt, intake filter, fuel filter ........what ever there is you need to get done. How important is the rear diff front diff for example maybe not that imporatnt to you but still you need to at least check if the fluids are full.