GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Reputable HID bulb failing after three hours of burn time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 10:36 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Reputable HID bulb failing after three hours of burn time?

OK. So I bought an unused/uninstalled HID kit (Xenondepot) from another member on the board recently and installed it in my GX470. I have had aftermarket HID kits (Toyota OEM ballasts and D2S Phillips bulbs w/adapters) in other cars so I know how to install them and what I need to be careful of (don't touch bulbs, good connections, etc).
Well, after about three hours of burn time over a few days with about 6 start up strikes, my drivers side is failing. The bulb did not strike one time so I turned the lights off, waited 10 seconds and turned it back on to re-strike the bulbs and the both came on. When I started the car later that evening, the drivers side did not work again. I tried the same re-strike process and no dice. The drivers side never came back after that.
I know XenonDepot has no liability to me since I did not buy the kit directly from them but I am not sure where I should buy a single replacement bulb from since it seems like the new bulb was defective (the kit was brand new and uninstalled). Should I consider the bad bulb a fluke and go with Xenondepot for the replacement or is there another source people use for bulbs that are reliable as well?
I know people swear by Xenondepot and find it reassuring but having a bulb fail so quickly bothers me.
Old 08-02-11, 10:52 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Contact Steve at Xenon depot--Im sure he will take care of you!! Ive had fogs/low beam bulbs for over 2 years now and zero issues, So You may have a fluke of a bulb
Old 08-02-11, 11:07 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Xenondepot has been recommended over and over on this forum for a reason. I bought couple of kits from them, and they have never failed. There are many horror stories on the forums from people that bought their kits on eBay (some that actually were happy too - but very few). As Booyah said, go with Steve.
Old 08-02-11, 02:03 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

That sounds like a plan. I will reach out to Steve and see what he can do for me.
Thanks guys!
Old 08-02-11, 04:27 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try switching the driver side bulb to passenger side and vice versa, to make sure it's not the ballast.
Old 08-02-11, 09:22 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by redrocks
Try switching the driver side bulb to passenger side and vice versa, to make sure it's not the ballast.
Yea, I know I need to do that. I guess I will wait till the weekend and try. Then I will contact xenon depot.
Old 08-21-11, 12:59 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Well, I finally got around to troubleshooting the side that did not work. First I replaced the HID bulb. No dice. Then I tested the voltage at the relay to the ballast unplugged which was good. Then I plugged the Ballast to the harness and only detected 2.14 volts... Hmmmmm... I decided to bypass the harness and connect the Ballast directly to the battery. !Let there be light! It worked! So then I focused on the harness and connections. Connections show good with no resistance out of norms. Then I checked the functionality of the relay. Bam! No relay switch action when energized. There was the problem. I tore the harness apart and put a nice Bosch relay in and all is good now. I have light from both sides. At least I have an extra set of bulbs for future replacement and got them for a really good price.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Old 08-21-11, 09:59 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Great troubleshooting!! Glad you figured it out
Old 08-22-11, 05:25 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome, glad it worked out
Old 09-02-11, 09:27 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad it worked out for you. Looks like you may have had an older kit as our relays are no longer replaceable. The relays come sealed in a plastic ABS box and they are actually soldered onto a PCB.

Steve
Old 09-04-11, 03:45 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Glad it worked out for you. Looks like you may have had an older kit as our relays are no longer replaceable. The relays come sealed in a plastic ABS box and they are actually soldered onto a PCB.

Steve
That is definitely not the relay I had. I am sure it is the older kit. The relay, plug and lead wires were nicely sealed in some heat shrink tubing.
Old 09-06-11, 08:24 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad you got everything worked out though.

Steve