GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 door lock actuator motor repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 09:47 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX470 door lock actuator motor repair

Since I didn't get any reply from mann777 to actuator motor question and only one door lock was working with remote, I have attacked it and found the culprit to all of these prematurely failing door locks. Many of them replaced just because of soft carbon brushes/dirty commutator of the armature. Aisin was cheap enough to install these 50 cents motors made in China, shameless! I just hope that my OEM water pump that I installed month ago was not made in China also, since there was no stamp on it.
To take the lock assembly out will take 5 to 10 minutes, to remove motor and clean in will take about 30 minutes. Easy job, in my country they will call the difficulty level of it "small beer".
Need two small screwdrivers to open up plastic lock tabs to get to the actuating motor, open lock assembly and wedge it just wide enough to take the motor out with tweezers. Clean commutator with needle file or #600 sand paper. Reassemble motor, lock and test on the bench by applying 12V to pin 1 and 4 of the connector (two thick pins). Watch the lock cable to move in and out while switching battery polarity (even regular 9V battery should work fine for this test). Motors are still as brand new (my rig is 2003 model with 256K miles on it) but so dirty inside that voltage will not pass between brushes and armature.
Did both right side doors at my lunch break and driver's after work, all doors working as they should using remote. I will post few pictures now. Each door panel has 3 phillips screws to be removed, lock has 3 screws and you have to remove bottom screw of window rail (10mm socket) to move it and make room for lock removal. Driver's door has one screw capped off from the side holding key lock onto door assembly that has to be removed in order to free the lock assembly. After disconnecting window switch assembly from driver's door panel, you have to go to each door and move window up and down to restablish the order and make the master switch control all other windows (same procedure as after battery disconnection).
Actuator motor is the with flat spot on the shaft.
Bernard
Attached Thumbnails GX470 door lock actuator motor repair-dsc01677.jpg   GX470 door lock actuator motor repair-dsc01676.jpg   GX470 door lock actuator motor repair-dsc01667.jpg   GX470 door lock actuator motor repair-dsc01669.jpg   GX470 door lock actuator motor repair-dsc01670.jpg  

Old 08-17-11, 10:13 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

Smile Easy door lock actuator repair not replacement

Here is the rest.
I touched the crimp tabs on motor with dremmel cutoff wheel just to make them easier to bent, it was very tuff and knuckle scraping without it.
Test motor before inserting it back into lock assembly but after cleaning they work perfect back and fort.
Each lock assembly has only two phillips screws on them holding both plasic halfs together, they have to be removed before lifting tabs and spreading halfs apart to get to the motor. All 5 doors locks has the same type motor.
Hatch would be the easiest one to remove and practis on (maybe the cheapest, if something goes wrong) but out of four trys, I was successful 100% and very happy now, since I'm able to lock my truck without going around door to door and locking each one manually.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 door lock actuator motor repair-dsc01673.jpg   GX470 door lock actuator motor repair-dsc01672.jpg   GX470 door lock actuator motor repair-dsc01665.jpg   GX470 door lock actuator motor repair-dsc01674.jpg   GX470 door lock actuator motor repair-dsc01675.jpg  

Old 08-31-11, 08:40 PM
khmer470
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my passenger window does not slide up/down, do you have any picts of removing door panel from the biginning ?

Last edited by khmer470; 09-03-11 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-02-11, 07:58 PM
Dorito724
Driver School Candidate

WOW! Nice! You just don't see component level repair any more! Good job.

They did go for 256K miles tho....You got to cut them some slack
Old 09-06-11, 06:00 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

Originally Posted by khmer470
my passenger window does not slide up/down, do you have any picts of removing door panel from the biginning ?
Just take a good look at the fist and second picture.
You have to remove those 3 phillips screws in first picture and rear view mirror triangular cover held in by one push in clip, then pull on the door panel starting at the bottom to free about 6 push in clips. At this point, panel will be hanging on window lip. Unhook the panel from window lip by lifting it up about one inch, remove lock cables and electrical connections.
Before you take it all apart, I would first check both window switches (passanger and driver's door window control switch) by poping then out with flat screwdriver. Listen, if window regulator make any clicking sound when you activate the switch. Could be just stuck glass to window seals, if it was not cycled in the long while. Pull down on it with both hands while some one pushes passenger window button down (with ignition key in on position).
If, for any reason you remove the electrical plug from driver's window switch, after pluging it back you have to go from door to door to cycle all 3 other windows one by one with their own window switch (same procedure as after disconnecting your battery as stated in your owner's manual).
Good luck,
Bernard
Old 09-06-11, 06:29 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dorito724
WOW! Nice! You just don't see component level repair any more! Good job.

They did go for 256K miles tho....You got to cut them some slack
No, they didn't.
I see in service records quotes for replacing both front door lock actuators at 144K miles, repair was declined.
The worst part is, when the rear cargo door lock actuator stops working, you have to cut a hole into door panel to manually open it to be able to work on it. Couple of times it was stuck in locked position for me and I was unable to open it, had to cycle the remote about 15-20 times. Then I removed the panel in case it will get stuck again, so I don't have to destroy it before I fix it.
Old 09-15-11, 01:44 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by khmer470
here ya go!
verbal explanation on how to do it (pics included!)
Old 02-27-12, 02:15 PM
colavit0
Driver School Candidate

Anyone else tried this? I have the assembly out but can not get the housing apart to get the actuator motor out. I am prying away and feel like I am destroying the whole thing. I can see the motor but can't get the opening to be big enough to remove the motor. I have searched the rx forums and gs forums but the actuator housings are a bit different. Hopefully someone can shed some light as to why I can't get the motor out to replace it. Thanks
Old 02-27-12, 07:47 PM
sidwin
Pole Position

i had to do this on my gs 300. both driver and rear driver side door. ebay sells the replacement motor. the easiest way to split the housing to get the motor out was using a razor blade then prying it with a think screw driver or spatula. hardest part was getting the gear off of the original without destroying it. get method there was to use a pair of pliers and punch it out. there are plenty of youtube videos on how to do it. i used hot glue to put everything back together.
Old 03-01-12, 03:24 PM
colavit0
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I got it out, waiting for the motors to come in and hopefully put it all together and hope I didn't break anything.
Old 03-05-12, 07:18 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

To split the actuator case, you need to remove two phillips screws and foam seal tape first.
I used snap/retaining ring pliers to slowly separate the case and wedged it open, then pull out motor using tweezers.
Gears on GX actuator motor are easy to get off, they are not pressed on but slide on fit and motor shaft has a flat spot.
All locks are still working for me.
Good luck, Bernard
Old 05-02-12, 01:14 PM
06GX470
Driver School Candidate

Default 06GX470 door locks

Thanks for all the info on door lock repairs.Can you tell me what type of shafts are on the motors (round or D shape)? Thanks,for any help. Greg
Old 05-03-12, 06:42 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

D shaft motor style, as pictured. Make sure to remove 2 screws then use a wedge while releasing tabs to open the lock enclosure. It will take a little time and patience but the fifth one should be a breeze...
Old 05-08-12, 04:40 PM
06GX470
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone tell me where I can buy the d shaft motors for my 06 GX470? Thanks, Greg
Old 02-12-14, 04:52 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sidwin
i had to do this on my gs 300. both driver and rear driver side door. ebay sells the replacement motor. the easiest way to split the housing to get the motor out was using a razor blade then prying it with a think screw driver or spatula. hardest part was getting the gear off of the original without destroying it. get method there was to use a pair of pliers and punch it out. there are plenty of youtube videos on how to do it. i used hot glue to put everything back together.
Same here on replacing them in my GS300. Are these the same motors for the GX470?

Quick Reply: GX470 door lock actuator motor repair