GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Pricing Info Coming Soon / Comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-02, 03:59 PM
SteveD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pricing Info Coming Soon / Comparisons

I spoke to my dealer today (Ray Catena in NY) to see if he had any new information regarding GX470 pricing or delivery dates. He told me that they were expecting detailed pricing information any day now.

They will also have a model in their showroom on 10/26 (but not for test drives). Lexus is still telling him that first units are coming in December.

Is anyone hearing anything different?

I'm still trying to decide between the GX470 and the XC90. The 2003 MDX, due to several changes/upgrades that were recently announced, also looks very appealing. My main issue with the MDX is timing because I need a vehicle by December at the latest and I don't have a deposit down on one (I have deposits down on both the GX470 & the XC90). Therefore, I think I have to forget about the MDX as I have read that the waiting lists are very long.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the XC90 because I like some of its features much better than those of the GX470 (e.g. folding third row seats, 70/30 split rear hatch, more safety features). I also think that the XC90 will be less truck-like and will probably have superior handling in part due to its unibody construction, lower center of gravity and slightly wider stance. I don't really care about off-road prowness as the SUV will serve as our family vehicle. However, I know I would feel much better about buying a first year vehicle from Lexus vs. Volvo due to reliability concerns. In addition, the XC90 with the larger T6 engine will only be offered with a 4-speed transmission which I'm sure is sub-optimal and will be replaced as soon as Volvo can figure out how to fit a 5-speed under the hood.

While I'm pretty sure the GX470 will be more expensive than a similarly equipped XC90, I would be willing to pay the difference if I thought the Lexus was a better fit with my needs and if I thought I was getting better value in the long run (I plan to hold onto whatever I buy for a while).

While the GX470, XC90 and 2003 MDX all look like great vehicles, none of them stand out to me yet as the clear choice for what I want (a reliable, luxurious, mid-sized SUV with state-of-the-art safety features, good cargo room and functionality to serve as a family vehicle). I'm hoping test drives will help me make my decision.

Has anyone else cross-shopped these three and, using the information currently available, already made their decision?
Old 09-25-02, 05:50 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey all,

Just a few points:

1. MDX: of course, there is this new thing about Honda/Acura transmission failure. Apparently, there is a new 5-speed auto tranny for the '03 MDX...however, you're facing a first year design of the tranny that may not solve the tranny failure. MDX is OK in luxury.

2. XC90: Ford makes it. Safety is excellent i would assume...quality & reliability is another question.

3. GX470: excellent true SUV. If you don't need 3-row of seating, try looking at the new 4Runner. GX470 will be much more luxurious than XC and MDX. Lexus has done very well with it's first year models (look at LS430 and ES300).

Thanks.
Old 09-25-02, 06:53 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting... I too am considering all three vehicles but I am leaning heavily towards the Lexus. Mainly because it's a Lexus. I know it will be very reliable and come with great customer service. I'm a little wary of the XC90 mainly due to reliability factors (which means it's an "unknown") I didn't know they were being built by Ford... Yikes. That alone is a reason not to get one... Although it's better than Chevy I guess...

It's also a bit more of a car than an SUV and I think I want something a little more rugged looking this time around. I have a sneaking suspicion the Volvo is going to quickly become one of the "Soccer Mom" vehicles of choice. We already have one of those in the family in the form of an RX300.

The MDX is a nice large vehicle and the new features are a big step in the right direction this year, but it still lags behind Lexus and Volvo in terms of Luxury and quality of materials. I'm also getting a bit wary of Acura in terms of reliability and how they handle warranty issues. They seem to really be hiding behind a wall of silence on many issues. The dealers are also for the most part, sleezy opportunists willing to gouge for prices over MSRP and force options on the buyer at highly inflated prices. Not how I'm used to being treated by Lexus.

Then there's always the "status" of owning a Lexus if you are into that sort of thing. Not a huge deal to me, but I'll admit it does provide a certain satisfaction. Not that our RX300 is the "flagship" or anything, but hey, it IS a Lexus. Mainly Lexus has treated us so well with our first car that it just makes us want to buy another one from them. Not to mention our RX300 which was purchased in the first year of production has been great for us. I trust Lexus more than I trust Volvo or Acura so that comes into play. I wouldn't be surprised if the GX handles and rides as nice or nicer than the MDX or XC. Unibody or no unibody, from all reports the GX drives like a dream and has a tuneable suspension available to boot. Something the MDX and XC don't have. To sum up, my main reason for leaning towards the Lexus is because it's a Lexus. Pretty hard to beat a Lexus for sheer quality, reliability, and customer service. Even if it does cost a little more...