GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New guy.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-11, 07:07 PM
nos4blood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy.

Hi guys! I'm new here with a couple of questions. But first I'm gonna introduce myself. My name is Carl and I live in Chicago. I have a 2006 Lexus GX 470 with 45k miles on it. It's fully loaded. I've made some very minor mods. It's got a drop K&N filter and I tinted the fogs yellow. And this is where my first question comes in. Is it possible to wire the lights so that you could run the fogs separately? And now comes the real problem. The underside of the car is rusted to hell. I was wondering if I could take it to the dealer and they could do something about it. I have the powertrain and rust warranty and it's supposed to go out in December. I don't know the details to well. Any help in either of these topics would be very helpful to me! Thanks in advance.

- Carl
Old 10-22-11, 11:21 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the new auto.

How's it sound with the K&N? Is it noticeable in terms of sound or power?

If you've got warranty, definitely ask the dealer to check out the underside; however, my understanding from recent posts is that the GX gets a ton of surface rust on the underside almost immediately after it's been driven off the new car lot. You may want to search for those recent thread(s) ahead of your stealership visit.
Old 10-23-11, 10:14 AM
nos4blood
Driver School Candidate

Thank you!
The K&N doesn't really change the sound much. You can only notice it if you turn off the sound system and climate control completely. In terms of power, it doesn't bog down as much if you punch it from a stop and the throttle response is WAY better.
Old 10-23-11, 11:16 AM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nos4blood
Hi guys! I'm new here with a couple of questions. But first I'm gonna introduce myself. My name is Carl and I live in Chicago. I have a 2006 Lexus GX 470 with 45k miles on it. It's fully loaded. I've made some very minor mods. It's got a drop K&N filter and I tinted the fogs yellow. And this is where my first question comes in. Is it possible to wire the lights so that you could run the fogs separately? And now comes the real problem. The underside of the car is rusted to hell. I was wondering if I could take it to the dealer and they could do something about it. I have the powertrain and rust warranty and it's supposed to go out in December. I don't know the details to well. Any help in either of these topics would be very helpful to me! Thanks in advance.

- Carl
Carl, Congratulations on your new truck and welcome to the forum. I also have a 2006, its an awesome truck. Enjoy.

Definitely talk to your dealer about the rust issue. But, IIRC, the rust warranty is actually a "rust-through" warranty, so unless you have holes in you body panels the dealer does not have to do anything, unless they do it as "good will."

As for the fog lights... If you want to be able to turn on the fogs independently of your headlights, you need to do a mod. Link below explains it in detail. (4Runner and GX share the same components).

Fog Light Mod
Old 10-23-11, 01:35 PM
nos4blood
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for the detailed directions!