GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What did you do to your GX TODAY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-17, 10:35 AM
ljerryd
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

" I took the roof rack off yesterday!"

I wonder if I can ask a favor? Could you shoot a few pics of the mounting surface on the underside of the spoiler where the bolt threads and snaps are located? I am wondering if I can repair mine where the snaps are broken out, but I don't want to take it off since it's (sort-of) holding. TIA
Old 10-20-17, 11:57 AM
Tdoll
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ljerryd
" I took the roof rack off yesterday!"

I wonder if I can ask a favor? Could you shoot a few pics of the mounting surface on the underside of the spoiler where the bolt threads and snaps are located? I am wondering if I can repair mine where the snaps are broken out, but I don't want to take it off since it's (sort-of) holding. TIA
I didn't take off my Spoiler. No need to when removing the roof rack. Sorry
Old 10-21-17, 01:56 PM
jonesmw10
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Took of the running boards today! Might do some more trimming behind the front tire but I'm happy with it.

Last edited by jonesmw10; 10-21-17 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-22-17, 07:23 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Tdoll
The last pic, the blue GX is my GX. I took the roof rack off yesterday!
Truck looks sharp! What did you do with the rack removed? Did you use the OEM parts to delete the rack, or the neoprene washers, or what?
Old 10-22-17, 12:51 PM
Tdoll
Driver

Originally Posted by IanB2
Truck looks sharp! What did you do with the rack removed? Did you use the OEM parts to delete the rack, or the neoprene washers, or what?
Thank you! I boxed up the rack in case I want it in the future. I reused 4 bolts from the center supports from both sides and ordered the other 8 ( 90119 08C47 ) for a total of 12 bolts with washers needed for OEM look. There are 6 brackets (63185-0R010) that are held on by the bolts. Those brackets hold 6 joint covers in place. The Joint Covers ( 75596-0E040) snap down and hold your existing molding in place and that is what I did.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (10-22-17)
Old 10-23-17, 09:11 AM
inlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had been having a worsening clunk/rattle in the front end at all speeds that was driving me nuts. Did a bunch of research and found that sway bar endlinks and sway bar bushings were commonly recommended as the source. For ~$80 parts and about 1 hour of time, I figured I'd give it a shot. Bought:Turns out that was exactly the source of the noise - my front end is back to quiet, thank god. Also took some time under the truck with a grease gun and put grease in the slip yoke(s) and U-Joint(s). Made the infamous clunk a bit less noticeable, but it's still there.

I'll probably order the rear sway bar endlinks now and replace those @~$40. Really happy with this truck - it's powerful, quiet, and comfortable.
Old 10-23-17, 09:24 AM
reddirt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 years and 10 months after taking my GX470 to the dealership for the cracked dash recall and 7 months since my last visit to check on the status, I received a call and melting cracking dash is now replaced. When I first took it in the crack/melt had not started but had a crack all the way across the dash above the instrument cluster.

Prior to that had timing belt, water pump kit and all fluids changed. Stuff I could do myself but paid a buddy who's specialty is Porsche but took care f my LC100.

Ready for winter!
Old 10-26-17, 12:33 PM
jonesmw10
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got my '08 on the list for a new dashboard. This is what I've been dealing with when driving into the sun

Old 10-27-17, 08:52 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

I dug into the rear coil conversion again last night, and removed both shims from the SSO conversion kit on both sides, brought the rear ride height down by 1/2" (predictably). Still no spare tire underneath, and it's siting about an inch taller in the rear than before with the air suspension on the "N" setting, and a bit lower than before with the air suspension on the "H" setting. Looks much better with the *** a bit lower, and it rides very nicely. It was dark so I wasn't able to take any more pics to compare to the "before" and "after with shims" pics, so I'll add those later.

Everything went much smoother the 2nd time through, and I was able to get the springs out/in without any outside assistance!
Old 10-27-17, 09:07 AM
Tdoll
Driver

I dug into the rear coil conversion again last night, and removed both shims from the SSO conversion kit on both sides, brought the rear ride height down by 1/2" (predictably). Still no spare tire underneath, and it's siting about an inch taller in the rear than before with the air suspension on the "N" setting, and a bit lower than before with the air suspension on the "H" setting. Looks much better with the *** a bit lower, and it rides very nicely. It was dark so I wasn't able to take any more pics to compare to the "before" and "after with shims" pics, so I'll add those later.

Everything went much smoother the 2nd time through, and I was able to get the springs out/in without any outside assistance!
You could throw in some pics of your other rides... I would like to check them out.
Old 10-27-17, 09:20 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tdoll
You could throw in some pics of your other rides... I would like to check them out.
'93 Land Cruser HDJ81, imported from Japan, 1HD-T turbo diesel, 3" Icon stage 1 lift, Rallyspeed front bumper, Arclab sliders and rear bumper all powdercoated to match, OEM winch, webasto coolant heater, 3" exhaust, 33" tires, and a Gturbo Grunter Extreme on the bench waiting to be fitted. I'll be buried in this truck, lol. Just about to roll over 130K kms, just getting broken in.

'99 MB E55 AMG wagon, also imported from Japan, 5.4L V8, 354hp/390ft/lb, 111K kms, this one is actually for sale, but I"m limited to selling within Canada as it's not 25 years old and wasn't orginally sold in North America. One of about half a dozen W210 E55 AMG wagons in North America, pretty cool car.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your GX TODAY?-img_2782.jpg   What did you do to your GX TODAY?-img_2930-1-.jpg   What did you do to your GX TODAY?-1573937d1439838948-another-99-e55t-amg-owner-here-img_1757-large-.jpg  
Old 10-27-17, 09:39 AM
Tdoll
Driver

'93 Land Cruser HDJ81, imported from Japan, 1HD-T turbo diesel, 3" Icon stage 1 lift, Rallyspeed front bumper, Arclab sliders and rear bumper all powdercoated to match, OEM winch, webasto coolant heater, 3" exhaust, 33" tires, and a Gturbo Grunter Extreme on the bench waiting to be fitted. I'll be buried in this truck, lol. Just about to roll over 130K kms, just getting broken in.

'99 MB E55 AMG wagon, also imported from Japan, 5.4L V8, 354hp/390ft/lb, 111K kms, this one is actually for sale, but I"m limited to selling within Canada as it's not 25 years old and wasn't orginally sold in North America. One of about half a dozen W210 E55 AMG wagons in North America, pretty cool car.
I like them!! Would love to have a turbo diesel in my GX. I bet that AMG is fun to drive! POWER!!!!
Thanks for sharing!
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (10-27-17)
Old 10-27-17, 05:20 PM
Goosed
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What am I not seeing here?

Originally Posted by jonesmw10
Got my '08 on the list for a new dashboard. This is what I've been dealing with when driving into the sun

Old 10-28-17, 12:17 PM
vxphan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Replaced Rear Air Bags suspension

Replaced two rear Air Bags suspension. The ride is great again. 140K miles.
Ride for a week now, no more sagging overnight.
Old 11-05-17, 06:34 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Got the new wheels and tires on yesterday, FJ Cruiser 8-holes w/ 265/65/17 Duratracs. SSO rear spring conversion kit (no spacers used) w/ FJ Cruiser rear springs, this is the final stance and I'm pretty happy with it. With the spare tire back under the truck, it ends up sitting 1/2-3/4" taller in the rear than with the air suspension on "N" mode. Rides nice as well, no more bouncing off the bumpstops while you wait for the airbags to fill after sitting.

I'll make another post with side profile pics and measurements of the various scenarios related to the rear suspension.

Edit: I can't seem to make the pic show rotated correctly, could a mod have a look?
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your GX TODAY?-img_3195.jpg  

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GX TODAY?