GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What did you do to your GX TODAY?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-19, 04:58 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Vols4life

Swapped out my crusty old wheels for some 5 gen 4Runner take offs. Upgraded to drilled and slotted power stop brakes with hawk pads. Lookin good!!
Cool! I installed the same powerstops on the same pearl white GX just two days ago! Hope they will last.
Old 07-08-19, 09:40 AM
LuxTank215
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

So this past weekend I decided I was gonna replace my Rotors and Pads on all 4 corners. I was getting that warped rotor feel when braking since I purchased the truck but was getting increasingly worse. I take everything apart and find that BOTH front Calipers were seized (both on the hot side) luckily I was able to source replacements from Autozone. So what should've taken a couple hours tops took the whole day to take care of and I only got the fronts done. Autozone was 35 mins away each way and to top everything off I snapped my wheel lock key before starting the whole job and had to drill out and replace the locks with the OEM lugs(the key was already in worn shape when I got the truck). I'll get to the rears this week, crossing my fingers I don't run into anymore issues. The warped sensation dramatically decreased, still slightly there. And on a positive note my gas mileage has also increased by replacing the front calipers/rotors/pads. Will update, gonna replace the radiator also, found a small leak in the bottom driver side corner.

Has anyone else ran into seized calipers?
Old 07-08-19, 01:14 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxTank215
So this past weekend I decided I was gonna replace my Rotors and Pads on all 4 corners. I was getting that warped rotor feel when braking since I purchased the truck but was getting increasingly worse. I take everything apart and find that BOTH front Calipers were seized (both on the hot side) luckily I was able to source replacements from Autozone. So what should've taken a couple hours tops took the whole day to take care of and I only got the fronts done. Autozone was 35 mins away each way and to top everything off I snapped my wheel lock key before starting the whole job and had to drill out and replace the locks with the OEM lugs(the key was already in worn shape when I got the truck). I'll get to the rears this week, crossing my fingers I don't run into anymore issues. The warped sensation dramatically decreased, still slightly there. And on a positive note my gas mileage has also increased by replacing the front calipers/rotors/pads. Will update, gonna replace the radiator also, found a small leak in the bottom driver side corner.

Has anyone else ran into seized calipers?
Almost everyone else has ran into seized calipers on these trucks, lol. It's a very common issue. I bought mine and it had clearly already had a caliper replaced, I then proceeded to replace 3 over the years, before finally swapping calipers/rotors to GX460 spec stuff.
Old 07-08-19, 02:06 PM
LuxTank215
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
Almost everyone else has ran into seized calipers on these trucks, lol. It's a very common issue. I bought mine and it had clearly already had a caliper replaced, I then proceeded to replace 3 over the years, before finally swapping calipers/rotors to GX460 spec stuff.
Is the GX460 stuff plug and play?
Old 07-08-19, 03:20 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Is the GX460 stuff plug and play?
Yessir, you want 2010 spec GX460 calipers and rotors, pads are the same, hydraulic lines are the same, everything bolts up same as what you took off. Some have complained about worse pedal feel after, not sure if it's related to the larger calipers with the same size master cylinder, or if they just didn't get all the air out of the system.

I had to bleed mine a bunch of times to get it feeling right, including cycling the ABS, but I broke a hardline during install and had to leave the system open for a few days while I waited on the new one, so there was definitely air in there as a result.
Old 07-08-19, 09:28 PM
dblshock
Driver

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

4 shocks. left rear hgt. sensor, frt. stabilizer links, front left wheel bearing..$1670.00 have more to go but this was big/
Old 07-09-19, 07:47 PM
LuxTank215
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
Yessir, you want 2010 spec GX460 calipers and rotors, pads are the same, hydraulic lines are the same, everything bolts up same as what you took off. Some have complained about worse pedal feel after, not sure if it's related to the larger calipers with the same size master cylinder, or if they just didn't get all the air out of the system.

I had to bleed mine a bunch of times to get it feeling right, including cycling the ABS, but I broke a hardline during install and had to leave the system open for a few days while I waited on the new one, so there was definitely air in there as a result.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll wait until these new calipers go before I make an upgrade to 460 parts.
Old 07-09-19, 07:54 PM
LuxTank215
Driver School Candidate

Ok. So I got to the rear brakes today, no issues there, just replaced rotors/pads. I also ended up replacing the brake lines with StopTech stainless brake lines. I got to the radiator as well, it was a pretty easy swap, but those 4 bracket bolts were a pain but overall pretty straight forward. Replaced the serpentine belt while I had the radiator out too, it looked worn so might as well while I was there. So next on the list is CV Boots and Diff and Transfer Case fluid change.

After this I should be done for a while, unless something else happens. Might do a transmission fluid change, anyone have an idea if this should be done or not? I keep getting mixed answers on the forums and general searches?

Last edited by LuxTank215; 07-09-19 at 07:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (07-10-19)
Old 07-10-19, 10:50 AM
Rygar470
Lead Lap

Received 136 Likes on 117 Posts

Ok. So I got to the rear brakes today, no issues there, just replaced rotors/pads. I also ended up replacing the brake lines with StopTech stainless brake lines. I got to the radiator as well, it was a pretty easy swap, but those 4 bracket bolts were a pain but overall pretty straight forward. Replaced the serpentine belt while I had the radiator out too, it looked worn so might as well while I was there. So next on the list is CV Boots and Diff and Transfer Case fluid change.

After this I should be done for a while, unless something else happens. Might do a transmission fluid change, anyone have an idea if this should be done or not? I keep getting mixed answers on the forums and general searches?

The general consensus is; if you don't know, or don't remember when it was last done? then flush and fill 2-3 times will help get that old fluid out(Including most (if not all) of the TC oil. Especially because unknown mileage. At least I don't but should be done if you have 100k plus miles
Old 07-10-19, 03:50 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

I did mine around 150K kms, and I'm considering doing it again now that I'm up at 255K kms. I don't buy the "lifetime fluid" bit for a second.
Old 07-13-19, 12:29 PM
Ruppy
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Changed rim color to graphite

Blasting rim. Safety first!!

Self etching primer

Looks great (IMO)
The following 3 users liked this post by Ruppy:
IanB2 (07-15-19), Lextazy (07-15-19), LuxTank215 (07-15-19)
Old 07-13-19, 06:28 PM
dblshock
Driver

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

yup, lets see more Ruppy.
The following users liked this post:
Ruppy (07-14-19)
Old 07-15-19, 08:25 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Installed Intro-tech Hexomat mats. Not as perfect as Weathertech fit and not liners, but nearly perfect. $181.00 Total.
Old 07-15-19, 10:45 AM
LuxTank215
Driver School Candidate

Blacked out my grille and the other chrome pieces. I left the Lexus "L" chrome on both ends. I also removed my lexus and gx470 emblems as well. Also when I was doing the brakes last week I notice my CV Boots leaking. I'm replacing both front axles since it was kinda pointless to just replace the boots for the cost and time/effort. Hoping to have that done by Wednesday. I'm also doing fluid changes on F&R Diffs and Transfer case too. I decided to leave the trans flush and fill alone for now. I'm not having any issues and I spoke to both Lexus and Toyota and both said don't touch it. What's the deal with that?
Old 07-15-19, 01:38 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Blacked out my grille and the other chrome pieces. I left the Lexus "L" chrome on both ends. I also removed my lexus and gx470 emblems as well. Also when I was doing the brakes last week I notice my CV Boots leaking. I'm replacing both front axles since it was kinda pointless to just replace the boots for the cost and time/effort. Hoping to have that done by Wednesday. I'm also doing fluid changes on F&R Diffs and Transfer case too. I decided to leave the trans flush and fill alone for now. I'm not having any issues and I spoke to both Lexus and Toyota and both said don't touch it. What's the deal with that?
If the transmission fluid gets really dirty/old, then it will be unsafe to replace it. It is better done earlier than later. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Lextazy; 07-15-19 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GX TODAY?