GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What did you do to your GX TODAY?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-22, 06:25 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Ian- it’s all smoke and mirrors

Originally Posted by IanB2
Damn that's clean underneath! How about a trigger warning for us rust belt folks next time, lol?
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (07-06-22)
Old 07-06-22, 04:06 AM
Pero4x4GX
Rookie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

good times yesterday.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pero4x4GX:
IanB2 (07-06-22), MidniteGX (07-18-22)
Old 07-08-22, 01:53 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Pero4x4GX
good times yesterday.
What CV is the new one? Did you replace the the inner wheel hub seal?
Old 07-10-22, 09:50 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Treated the GX470 to a spa day, it got new spark plugs, cleaned the TB opening where the plate closes as there was some buildup there, rotated the tires, and greased the driveline. It had been a while since the old girl had seen some love.

The sparkplugs seem to have pepped it up a bit, smoother idle, and a bit more power accelerating. I did find the passenger rear plug tube was full of oil, so there's a valve cover reseal in it's future. I'd still like to get a trans fluid drain and fill done before fall, but we'll see if I get to that.

Old 07-10-22, 03:09 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Treated the GX470 to a spa day, it got new spark plugs, cleaned the TB opening where the plate closes as there was some buildup there, rotated the tires, and greased the driveline. It had been a while since the old girl had seen some love.

The sparkplugs seem to have pepped it up a bit, smoother idle, and a bit more power accelerating. I did find the passenger rear plug tube was full of oil, so there's a valve cover reseal in it's future. I'd still like to get a trans fluid drain and fill done before fall, but we'll see if I get to that.

Your GX looks perfect 😍
What size lift do you have? Are those 285/70/17's?
Old 07-10-22, 03:28 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
Your GX looks perfect 😍
What size lift do you have? Are those 285/70/17's?
Thanks! It's got a 2F/1R lift, and 265/70/17's.
Old 07-10-22, 04:50 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Thanks! It's got a 2F/1R lift, and 265/70/17's.
Thanks for the info! Yeah I think I'll be changing out my springs and maybe go back to the 265's too. Currently I have the Dobinsons IMS with 2.5(314's) up front and 1.5(505's)+15mm spacer in the rear. I'm thinking of ditching the spacer in the rear and going with the 302's for 2" in the front. The roads where I live are horrible and I could really use another 1/2" of down travel up front.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your GX TODAY?-photo374.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (07-11-22)
Old 07-11-22, 03:13 AM
Pero4x4GX
Rookie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The new one one is on the left. Inner seal looked good so it was cleaned and a small amount of grease was added.
Old 09-03-22, 04:51 PM
se7enine
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Just replaced my alternator this morning and it was a PITA. I wish whoever replaced it before me had used a Denso instead of a generic reman alt so I wouldn't have had to do it at all. Much more involved than the 22RE and 3RZ engines that I'm used to. Getting the PS pump pulley off/on was the most difficult part. Too many hoses in the way to get decent ratchet angles and difficult to get a wedge to stay put while I removed the center nut. At least it's done and now I just wait for the starter to go. That will be a chore to change when the time comes.
Old 09-03-22, 07:53 PM
campfire
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by se7enine
Just replaced my alternator this morning and it was a PITA. I wish whoever replaced it before me had used a Denso instead of a generic reman alt so I wouldn't have had to do it at all. Much more involved than the 22RE and 3RZ engines that I'm used to. Getting the PS pump pulley off/on was the most difficult part. Too many hoses in the way to get decent ratchet angles and difficult to get a wedge to stay put while I removed the center nut. At least it's done and now I just wait for the starter to go. That will be a chore to change when the time comes.
What year and how many miles do you have on it?
Old 09-03-22, 08:11 PM
NTH
Instructor

Upgraded my suspension with Dobinsons IMS few months ago. Finally got some time to bump the front up 1” more for a total of 3F/2R.

Old 09-04-22, 06:20 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Originally Posted by NTH
Upgraded my suspension with Dobinsons IMS few months ago. Finally got some time to bump the front up 1” more for a total of 3F/2R.

How do you like it so far? I just lowered mine down to 1.5" from 2.5" up front yesterday. The ride is so much better. Gaining that extra inch of down travel is so nice.
Old 09-04-22, 09:18 AM
NTH
Instructor

The ride is the same, no increased harshness or anything. What suspension are you on?
Even from the get-go, I’ve been very impressed with the Dobinsons IMS Coilovers. The ride is just as nice, smooth and compliant as stock airbags. In general nose dives and the wallowy body motions are gone. Bumps are well absorbed. Certain sharp impacts are more pronounced when completely empty in the back but that’s expected. I also replaced upper/lower control arms, front and rear. My wife drove it, said she noticed the taller stance but thought it was on airbags still. Win win

How do you like it so far? I just lowered mine down to 1.5" from 2.5" up front yesterday. The ride is so much better. Gaining that extra inch of down travel is so nice.
Old 09-04-22, 09:58 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Originally Posted by NTH
The ride is the same, no increased harshness or anything. What suspension are you on?
Even from the get-go, I’ve been very impressed with the Dobinsons IMS Coilovers. The ride is just as nice, smooth and compliant as stock airbags. In general nose dives and the wallowy body motions are gone. Bumps are well absorbed. Certain sharp impacts are more pronounced when completely empty in the back but that’s expected. I also replaced upper/lower control arms, front and rear. My wife drove it, said she noticed the taller stance but thought it was on airbags still. Win win
I also have IMS suspension and also changed out all the front suspension components with oem stuff. I haven't changed any arms in the rear yet though. The roads here in upstate New York are horrific from all the salt in the winter. The potholes are so bad my front struts were always topping out. Now that it's lower it's super smooth, no more clenching up on certain roads. I may raise it up to 1.75" up front and see how that goes. I love being able to adjust the suspension lol.
Old 09-04-22, 10:12 AM
NTH
Instructor

Agreed, that’s the beauty with coilovers. Allz it needs is an alignment tweak to get geometry back to specs. Btw when you decide to replace rear control arms especially the uppers, be ready to cut and replace with all new hardware, being in the salt zone.

I also have IMS suspension and also changed out all the front suspension components with oem stuff. I haven't changed any arms in the rear yet though. The roads here in upstate New York are horrific from all the salt in the winter. The potholes are so bad my front struts were always topping out. Now that it's lower it's super smooth, no more clenching up on certain roads. I may raise it up to 1.75" up front and see how that goes. I love being able to adjust the suspension lol.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GX TODAY?