GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

4WD newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-11, 08:00 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD newbie question

I've been searching for this for a while but couldn't figure out exactly how 470GX works.
I have only driven AWD in the past.

Does it allow all the combination as below:

4H / diff. locked.
4H / diff. open
4L / diff. locked
4L / diff. open

1. Which combination is best for icy and/or deep snow condition? I'm guessing 4H /diff. locked.
2. Do you have to stop and put the gear in N before locking differential?

Earlier today, I experimented different combination while car was parked with engine running.
I don't remember exactly what I did, but when I tried to shift gear into P with transfer case in N, it started making grinding sound when the gear lever was pushed into P little further.
Old 11-12-11, 03:32 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

It is a full time AWD truck, that means that in daily driving, clean roads it works in a 2 WD mode until the systems detects a slipperly surface the front will kick in. The button on the console for locking the diff can be engaged while the truck is moving at any speed, now the front wheels are locked and turning at the same speed. That means that while turning on a dry surface you wil hear the front tires scrubbing the pavement. Not good. Locking the diff should only be done on slippery surfaces. The H L lever is changed with the truck stopped in neutral. Changing to L would be mostly for off road use, it lowers the gearing ration to give more torque at slower speeds.
Old 11-12-11, 10:44 AM
JuLeX47
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ might want to get your definition of "full time AWD" corrected.
Old 11-12-11, 10:58 AM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALAN553
It is a full time AWD truck, that means that in daily driving, clean roads it works in a 2 WD mode until the systems detects a slipperly surface the front will kick in. The button on the console for locking the diff can be engaged while the truck is moving at any speed, now the front wheels are locked and turning at the same speed. That means that while turning on a dry surface you wil hear the front tires scrubbing the pavement. Not good. Locking the diff should only be done on slippery surfaces. The H L lever is changed with the truck stopped in neutral. Changing to L would be mostly for off road use, it lowers the gearing ration to give more torque at slower speeds.
ALAN553 is ALMOST correct.

GX470 is considered "Full-Time 4WD". What that means is that it sends power to all 4 wheels all the time. Under normal highway conditions, power is split 40/60 percent front/rear. If the rear wheels spin, the differential can change the front/rear ratio to 53/47 percent to control the slippage. When cornering, the system sends more power to the rear wheels (29/71 front/rear) to improve tracking around curves.

When Torsen differential is locked it is sending constant power to both axles, and the power is split either 53/47 or 55/45 (front/rear). That's why you can't lock Center diff on dry surfaces.

For explanation of differences in various 4WD configurations see the following site:

http://rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/4WD-AWD-autoAWD.html

The Owner's Manual does not do a very good job of explaining this.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-12-11, 07:26 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snhrph
ALAN553 is ALMOST correct.

GX470 is considered "Full-Time 4WD". What that means is that it sends power to all 4 wheels all the time. Under normal highway conditions, power is split 40/60 percent front/rear. If the rear wheels spin, the differential can change the front/rear ratio to 53/47 percent to control the slippage. When cornering, the system sends more power to the rear wheels (29/71 front/rear) to improve tracking around curves.

When Torsen differential is locked it is sending constant power to both axles, and the power is split either 53/47 or 55/45 (front/rear). That's why you can't lock Center diff on dry surfaces.

For explanation of differences in various 4WD configurations see the following site:

http://rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/4WD-AWD-autoAWD.html

The Owner's Manual does not do a very good job of explaining this.

Hope that helps.
Another key point is that torsen doesn't wait for "slippage". it can and does seamlessly shift torque F&R based on requirements. Frankly, how it works remains a bit of a mystery to me, but I've had the same system (without locking) on several Audis (including my wife's current Q5) and no other setup I've driven gives as much confidence inspiring traction in all conditions. Great setup.

I've driven "on demand" AWD/4WD in VWs, Hondas, etc, and the difference is remarkable.