GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Amber bulbs needed for '07+ Sport tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 11:44 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey ROK,

Sewell has been great to me, just be a little patient. Darrel has been good about updating the Sewell website when additional information is needed.

Work together and we'll be happy.

Thanks.
Old 11-16-11, 11:45 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You should read the PM he sent me. Not cool.
Old 11-16-11, 11:45 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ROK
To give credit where it's due, Sewell just updated it cuz of this activity here. But given I ordered the kit prior, I will not be receiving these two amber bulbs. which is fine.

Yet they still haven't deleted my name from the post here. how would you feel if your name was used in a public forum without your permission?
I'm sure Darrel wil send you the two amber bulbs, he values the business from us.
Old 11-17-11, 07:25 AM
FlzRider
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like Sewell is following through on this, be easy on them, ROK
Old 11-17-11, 09:49 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

yea, i know they're a good vendor to this community (thus the reason why i gave them my business in the first place), but the dude (likely darryl?) was in fact clueless on the phone and the way he handled follow-up with me 1:1 was poor at best.

bottom-line, if someone's ordering these from sewell, they'll get the amber bulbs... thanks to yours truly. darryl did offer to send me the amber bulbs, but i already picked them up at the local dealership. i'm too impatient to wait another week to get two bulbs and let the beautiful tail lights sit in the box all the while.

because of darryl's handling of my personal info, and him representing the sewell brand in a bad light by accusing me of being "blatant", they left a bad taste in my mouth. entertainining thread at least, right? hehe

and to this day, not even a thanks for your business or appreciate you helping us figure this out.

next
Old 11-17-11, 09:56 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Don't forget to post pictures of your new tail lights. Maybe a DIY? (Should be easy, right?)
Old 11-17-11, 10:00 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

It has to be simple for me to handle it ! i'll def post pics. i should be able to get it done today.
Old 11-17-11, 10:05 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ROK
It has to be simple for me to handle it ! i'll def post pics. i should be able to get it done today.
Thanks Buddy! And thank you for the "free" amber bulbs for future byers of the sports tail light
Old 11-17-11, 03:03 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

It took me a longer than I thought to install because it's not exactly snap and play. You kinda have to adjust the tail light to fit perfectly. If you have work gloves, use them esp if you're doing this in a non-heated garage. Make sure you apply pressure until u hear a click for the amber bulbs as I didn't do this the first time so had to repeat the whole procedure again which was a pain in the rear.

Even the sticker on the sport lights say you need to use amber bulbs for the turns

I was hoping for a darker tinted red like the ones on my cop car, but it's the same thing. Call me boring, but I guess having to wear a uniform for work makes me like like monochrome style.

So for $300, I say it's worth it. If it cost more like $600, I'd be tempted to simply red out the amber part.

Last edited by ROK; 11-17-11 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-17-11, 07:31 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
It took me a longer than I thought to install because it's not exactly snap and play. You kinda have to adjust the tail light to fit perfectly. If you have work gloves, use them esp if you're doing this in a non-heated garage. Make sure you apply pressure until u hear a click for the amber bulbs as I didn't do this the first time so had to repeat the whole procedure again which was a pain in the rear.

Even the sticker on the sport lights say you need to use amber bulbs for the turns

I was hoping for a darker tinted red like the ones on my cop car, but it's the same thing. Call me boring, but I guess having to wear a uniform for work makes me like like monochrome style.

So for $300, I say it's worth it. If it cost more like $600, I'd be tempted to simply red out the amber part.
I do like the clear turn signal if for the only reason is it looks like an 07/08 or newer. For the money though, i think the mirrors with the integrated turn signals give you more bang for the buck. ROK, What year is your GX?
Old 11-17-11, 07:39 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

7, sir.

the last remaining thing is to paint all the chrome trim black. it'll cost about $2K at my local body shop. and then i'm done. my 4runner will finally then be reincarnated as a gx.

Old 11-17-11, 07:55 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
7, sir.

the last remaining thing is to paint all the chrome trim black. it'll cost about $2K at my local body shop. and then i'm done. my 4runner will finally then be reincarnated as a gx.

Wait..I'm confused, I believe this is a picture of a 4Runner, Do you have a picture of your GX?
Old 11-17-11, 07:58 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

sorry that's my 4runner that i sold but never should've in the first place.

i'll post a pic of mine once it's all done. very much enjoying the gx experience.
Old 11-17-11, 08:52 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very surprised you didn't go with the Prado tails... you should take a look at the Prado bolt-on parts if you want a unique look and want to stay OEM. With those tails I would look for a stealth or chrome amber bulb so you don't get the yellow yolk effect when they are off. Here is a link on ebay
Old 11-17-11, 10:12 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

i like to stick to the factory design even the amber bulb. thx for the suggestion. i'm sure someone else will follow suit.

i have a rather discerning eye for the aesthetic. i know what i want.

Quick Reply: Amber bulbs needed for '07+ Sport tail lights?