GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 08:18 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
I know better than to admit anything like that on the internet

I bought them from sewell lexus online parts, with the club lexus member discount. They're big $$ for shocks, but the club lexus takes the sting off a bit.

The install was <20min per side in my garage with a floor jack and simple tools.

The fronts now feel a little soft, so I'm probably going to buy them and have them installed before long.
cool - good to know. can i pay you to help me with mine when time comes?

PCANW member here (997GT3) saying hi!
Old 11-30-11, 09:05 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
Great theory, but should shocks really need to be replace at ~60k miles for everyday street driving?
Based on my experience, 60k from a set of OEM shocks is quite good. I've had them go far earlier on other cars, so I was pretty impressed -- especially given what we're asking of the rear shocks in the GX, which is quite a bit. They need to control varying loads, ride heights and air spring stiffness, which is a bigger challenge than you throw at most shocks.
Old 11-30-11, 09:08 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
cool - good to know. can i pay you to help me with mine when time comes?

PCANW member here (997GT3) saying hi!
Nice, nice GT3!

I think I remember you from the Porsche alias @ MSFT? Glad to see you came to your senses and dumped the RR
Old 11-30-11, 09:33 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Nice, nice GT3!

I think I remember you from the Porsche alias @ MSFT? Glad to see you came to your senses and dumped the RR
yea man! so sweet to cross paths with you here. the RR was an incredible ride if I had the fortitude to own it past its warranty period. it's a beast of a car and does 0-60 in less than 6 seconds! that's 3 tons of truck right there. incredible stuff.

and the thing is, even on the RRs, it's not uncommon for them to run for 100K without much issues with the suspension units on the 2006+ rigs. at least with the GX, i can run it for miles on end with peace of mind. gotta love made in japan.

i am lookin gforward to getting some new shocks on mine when the time comes. good choice on the 911. i'm sure it's a speedy lil bugger.
Old 11-30-11, 09:51 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on my experience, 60k from a set of OEM shocks is quite good. I've had them go far earlier on other cars, so I was pretty impressed -- especially given what we're asking of the rear shocks in the GX, which is quite a bit. They need to control varying loads, ride heights and air spring stiffness, which is a bigger challenge than you throw at most shocks.
How does one determine whether the problem are the shocks or the height sensor? If shocks, wouldn't the ride be bad all the time vs. sensor not correctly adjusting to driving situation?
Old 11-30-11, 12:21 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 145 Posts

My shocks still work, they are quickly disintegrating with rust in the back,115k on a 2004.
Old 12-01-11, 07:37 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

How does one determine whether the problem are the shocks or the height sensor? If shocks, wouldn't the ride be bad all the time vs. sensor not correctly adjusting to driving situation?
That's exactly it. The shocks don't act much differently than any other car. They just don't seem to control the ride as well over time. With a faulty sensor, you'd likely notice the backend dragging a bit, or feel like the car is bottoming out, but it's more periodic. In my case, I've noticed, when it acts up, I never hear the car level off when I exit. That's when I know it's time to lower the backend, throw in a couple of 40lbs bags of water softener salt, start up the car and drive it around a bit. It seems to "reset" the system for a while, till it acts up again. I don't have to keep the salt in the car more than the short time during the "reset" process.
Old 12-01-11, 07:54 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rj4510
That's exactly it. The shocks don't act much differently than any other car. They just don't seem to control the ride as well over time. With a faulty sensor, you'd likely notice the backend dragging a bit, or feel like the car is bottoming out, but it's more periodic. In my case, I've noticed, when it acts up, I never hear the car level off when I exit. That's when I know it's time to lower the backend, throw in a couple of 40lbs bags of water softener salt, start up the car and drive it around a bit. It seems to "reset" the system for a while, till it acts up again. I don't have to keep the salt in the car more than the short time during the "reset" process.
I think this is the answer. The GX has AVS, which is described as:

"Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS)
AVS is a computer-controlled system that continuously adjusts shock-absorber damping rates to help provide appropriate ride comfort and handling precision. Sensors monitor wheel speed, engine rpm, steering-wheel movement, brake application and vertical body motion to determine the ideal damping rate for each shock absorber. The driver can also select the ride firmness with the press of a button."

So, it looks like the sensors do control the shock absorbers for "ideal damping rate" according to road conditions, etc.
Old 12-01-11, 06:23 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got some bilstein 5100's for an fj to help my bottoming out. As soon as i install them i will report back.
Old 12-01-11, 07:40 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
I just got some bilstein 5100's for an fj to help my bottoming out. As soon as i install them i will report back.
Are we to assume the air bag suspension and self levelling functions will still work, even if the rest of the ride control is disabled?
Old 12-01-11, 10:38 PM
N305AS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
Please do - I'd love to know if it solves that bottoming-out sensation.
Old 12-01-11, 11:15 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rj4510
Are we to assume the air bag suspension and self levelling functions will still work, even if the rest of the ride control is disabled?
wont work. 5100s r just another standard shock mated to springs but have height notches. had them on my 4r.
Old 12-02-11, 12:32 PM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

There are few members who have done the complete swap using Bilstein, some of them have done with the Overland 2.0. Here is the website. The 4Rs and GX share the same chassis, if you I decided to eliminate the sensors from the equation. Then you can replace the rear set up with coils and shocks… thus eliminating the need to replace the height sensors every three to four years. You have to remove the Airbags
Overland will not come with the coil clamps so you need to fabricate one for the springs. The clamps are to prevent the coils from rotating and also to prevent them from popping out from severe flexing.
Here is how the kit looks and here is the linkhttp://stores.overlandwarehouse.com/...kit/Detail.bok
Attached Thumbnails Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?-flat-stock.jpg   Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?-sp-spk-1012.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 12-02-11, 03:57 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mann777
… thus eliminating the need to replace the height sensors every three to four years.
Mann777,

Are you serious about the height sensors needing to be replaced periodically?

Can you verify that these sensors are "electrical" in nature?

Thanks.
Old 12-02-11, 08:29 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Mann777,

Are you serious about the height sensors needing to be replaced periodically?

Can you verify that these sensors are "electrical" in nature?

Thanks.
I think the height sensors are POT (potentiometer) in nature. When the height change, the resistant change which provides ECU with different voltage. Here is how to check them.
Attached Thumbnails Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?-sensor.jpg  

Last edited by tz693; 12-02-11 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?