GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-12, 12:14 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Why, theres 2 guys that have DIY brackets and they actually use their GX offroad and its help up fine. Replacing an axle just to go with springs instead of airbags is a little overboard in my opinion and most GX owners arent going to do that.

Heres some threads with pictures of the brackets:

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4266
See post# 20

http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...3-gx470-3.html
See post # 44
Old 03-31-12, 12:21 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes offroading is quite a bit of roughness that truly test the brackets but i still wouldn't trust my own engineering...
Old 03-31-12, 12:29 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

well, i just emailed two different online retailers with diff kits, and asked them about this issue so let's see what they say since they would know since its their kits...
Old 03-31-12, 12:35 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

ok, well i read some online review of the strutmaster kit, and it was good, the brackets in question is provided in the kit, lower bracket/puck and then upper puck on each side to hold the spring in... there ya go
Old 03-31-12, 01:15 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by clubsport
ok, well i read some online review of the strutmaster kit, and it was good, the brackets in question is provided in the kit, lower bracket/puck and then upper puck on each side to hold the spring in... there ya go

I dont see any mention of lower brackets, straight from the manufactures website:
http://www.strutmasters.com/Lexus-GX...gx470-r1-s.htm

5. What comes with the kit?

Answer: On our passive preassembled units they come with struts, springs and upper mounts with bearing plates. The other kit is just a bare strut with an electronic bypass. The rear kit is a coil assisted shock with or without upper mounts and resistors.
Old 03-31-12, 02:42 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

got response from one retailer:

"the space that the spring seats in will not extend further than the length of the coil spring even at a very hard bump - suncore"

no brackets? (atleast for this kit)
Old 03-31-12, 02:55 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

I wouldnt trust what that seller says, they just want to make a sale. There arent alot of GXs with that kit so I doubt he knows for sure.

Im sure for highway / city driving youll be fine without the lower spring brackets because the springs could only pop out if you hit a low bump or go offorad over large dips but even still I wouldnt trust using springs without some type of fail safe, you just never know.

Attached is the simplest looking bracket to hold the spring into place.
Attached Thumbnails Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?-spring-bracket.jpg  
Old 03-31-12, 03:03 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

the strutmaster kit has similar bottom bracket but it is completely open with a puck as your only fail safe...
by the way what parts make up the simple bracket in above pic? thanx
Old 03-31-12, 03:17 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Im not sure where that bracket came from. I emailed 2 guys on the other forums a few days ago, just waiting to hear back from one of them.

If youre handy with a welder Im sure itd be easy to fab something up, you dont even need a bracket, you can make a cone or use some wide round tube to go up though the spring...hope that makes since. There would be nothing "holding" it down but at least if it the axle dropped the cone / round tube would keep the spring in place.
Old 04-01-12, 12:56 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

i can make the bracket with or without welding, just need a drill at most... when the time comes i will make a bracket to add to the strutmaster coil seat for sure...

anyway here is my update on the conversation with suncore regarding their kit:

there is no need for a bracket to secure the coils they will not come off no matter how hard a bump you take- suncore

strutmasters kit bottom mount is just a coil seat it does not trap or hold the coil. if you wish you can call one of our technicians 1-800-260-5175- suncore

that's it for me... i am done with this topic
Old 04-01-12, 02:58 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by clubsport
i can make the bracket with or without welding, just need a drill at most... when the time comes i will make a bracket to add to the strutmaster coil seat for sure...

Well when you do post some pics.

I for one am keeping the airbags, im just going to swap the struts / springs out for some aftermarket ones.
Old 04-05-12, 05:11 AM
hastings10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we've had this problem for over 6 months and have taken it in "to be fixed" at least half a dozen times WITHOUT ANY LUCK!!! Just got it back yesterday (after OVER A WEEK IN THE SHOP), they replaced "multiple sensors" and it's as bad as it's ever been!!! Have now spent over THREE GRAND without an iota of a result!!! Personally, I don't even think we should have to pay the bill for "Lucy's" latest stay in the "Lexus Hospital," she got NO DIAGNOSIS and NO TREATMENT that has even helped, let alone CURE her. CAN ANYONE HELP US??? PLEEEASE?????
Old 04-05-12, 05:42 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hastings10
we've had this problem for over 6 months and have taken it in "to be fixed" at least half a dozen times WITHOUT ANY LUCK!!! Just got it back yesterday (after OVER A WEEK IN THE SHOP), they replaced "multiple sensors" and it's as bad as it's ever been!!! Have now spent over THREE GRAND without an iota of a result!!! Personally, I don't even think we should have to pay the bill for "Lucy's" latest stay in the "Lexus Hospital," she got NO DIAGNOSIS and NO TREATMENT that has even helped, let alone CURE her. CAN ANYONE HELP US??? PLEEEASE?????
were the shocks replaced? how many miles on your original shocks?
Old 04-05-12, 05:56 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hastings10

Sorry to hear this. Maybe Lexus Customer Service should be your next step?
Old 04-10-12, 04:29 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

well i emailed i think now 3 different kit manufacturer and they all said they don't need a bracket, but after lookin at the kits i wonder if they're different in design at all?
anyway... here is another one from strutmasters...

Brad Walker brad@strutmasters.com to me
show details Apr 2 (9 days ago)

we have a mount kit that you install where the top of air bag was . all it does is bolt in. no mods no welding just take out old and put in new . i am the tech here so if you have any more ?'s call me at 336-330-2343 brad

Quick Reply: Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?