GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 05:12 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi mann777, could you please clarify this? you mean putting in shocks while retaining airbag?

Originally Posted by mann777
Guys if you think of replacing the suspension components..then with the bottom air bag pin captive there shouldn't be an issue with stretching the air bag, providing the shock absorbers are not so long that they allow the airbag to over extend. The shock absorber is generally the limiting factor of rear suspension extension. Standard shocks and most aftermarket shocks like Bilstein etc designed for a maximum of 40-50mm lift should be OK.

Here is the airbag deflated exposed for removal if in case you want to retain after a lift.

But you can mod by adding a 50mm spacer ABOVE the airbag to increase the effective length?
Old 04-11-12, 05:19 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes he means using an aftermarket shock with the stock airbags.
Old 04-11-12, 06:27 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

ok, yeah i thought about that as well but then got really confused for a while when everyone suggested the airbag be removed and hence no more pillar of some sort to hold the springs in... so in essence this really is a cheap problem to fix if ever it came up then...
Old 04-11-12, 11:27 PM
mann777

Received 65 Likes on 31 Posts

Currently GX shocks on the top of the Airbags have got the retainers, but nothing at bottom to hold if at all you mod the shocks & coils with long ones, so chances of pop out are very high. There are retainer straps, but I do know how effective these are. Probably somebody could chip in if they have done. I know many Wrangler guys have done this.
But with the setup on GX and its complex Suspension..the best Option is mod the Airbags at the bottom with high quality R pin, do a cross drill ( Drilling a 4mm hole through the 18mm Dia pin ) . And then pin them, therby you are sure they are seated and never out at what due stress you put in.

Notes Made.
1. From what I can find out, the OEM rear shocks with ride adjustment for airbags are about 30mm longer.
2.Full droop with the stock shocks is 890mm so set them at a comfortable 825 stills gives a good margin of 65mm
3. At 825mm ride height, its pretty good at the back.
4. What needs to be done remove the Height Control Sensor and have the spacing done with the sensor brackets. that means you need to move the sensor up along the slot Or just added the spacers to achieve the lift.
5. So At 825mm ride height. a good aftermarket shock that remains withing 10-15mm of the OEM shouldnt pose any problem with the airbags and still provide plenty of lift.

Now coming to our Height Sensors....( information only )
The "Hi" selected on the ride height control,it would sit at about 860mm. And On Normal Setting it seen at 825mm ride height, . GX Rear Height Sensors there is always some variation in setting between the left and right side height adjustors it is sensed as a voltage difference between the limit switches and could account for some height variation.

This is my theory of understanding.
Attached Thumbnails Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?-air_bag_mounting_pin_pass_side.jpg   Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?-pre_drilled_pin.jpg   Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?-r_pin_installed.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 04-12-12, 12:27 AM
TERARMT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TERA RMT
ラグナロクオンライン2 RMT
RO2 RMT
レッドストーン RMT
REDSTONE RMT
Old 04-12-12, 07:00 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Man777, if Im replacing the ride height sensors do I need any other parts besides:

Left - 89408D
Right - 89407B

And when it says refer to fig 48-05, where is that? Is that only in the service / repair manuals....because Ive seen that before on other parts and never could find a "figure" diagram page on their site.
Old 04-12-12, 10:48 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
Pretty sure those are the symptoms everyone has cssnms. I got some bilsteins for my gx, just no time. Will post back.
You ever install them?
Old 04-13-12, 01:48 AM
mann777

Received 65 Likes on 31 Posts

RC....nopes if you replacing the height sensors....it is a straight forward replacement. Only precaution you need to do prior to replacement.
1. Turn the Ignition Switch "ON"
2. Check the Height Control switch is turned to "OFF" and visible on the intrument cluster.
3. Turn off the Ignition Switch "OFF". *** Remove Keys**

Then remove the (-) Battery Terminal. otherwise you will have a fault stored the ECM.
Replace the sensors.
Reverse the instruction following the Battery Terminal Connection.
Good to Go.
I have a question to ask..How did you conclude the Height Control Sensors are bad ? And need replacement.
Old 04-13-12, 06:13 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RCsGX
You ever install them?
Do you guys think it will void my warranty if i change to bilsteins?
Old 04-13-12, 08:11 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mann777
Notes Made.
1. From what I can find out, the OEM rear shocks with ride adjustment for airbags are about 30mm longer.
2.Full droop with the stock shocks is 890mm so set them at a comfortable 825 stills gives a good margin of 65mm
3. At 825mm ride height, its pretty good at the back.
4. What needs to be done remove the Height Control Sensor and have the spacing done with the sensor brackets. that means you need to move the sensor up along the slot Or just added the spacers to achieve the lift.
5. So At 825mm ride height. a good aftermarket shock that remains withing 10-15mm of the OEM shouldnt pose any problem with the airbags and still provide plenty of lift.

Now coming to our Height Sensors....( information only )
The "Hi" selected on the ride height control,it would sit at about 860mm. And On Normal Setting it seen at 825mm ride height, . GX Rear Height Sensors there is always some variation in setting between the left and right side height adjustors it is sensed as a voltage difference between the limit switches and could account for some height variation.

This is my theory of understanding.

I'm confused on these heights listed. I went and measured my stock suspension setup on my GX470 and the rear was at normal setting. It measured 35.5( or 890~mm) inches on the driver side and 36 on the passenger.

I'm measuring at the center of the wheel from the ground to the fender. Are we measuring different places? My high setting is 37 inches on both sides which is well over 900mm
Old 04-13-12, 09:06 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Do you guys think it will void my warranty if i change to bilsteins?

No, not unless you lift it 2.5". If youre just installed the Bilsteins at ride height IE: 0" lift, youre fine. Hurry up and put them on and report back because Im probably going to go with either those or OMEs.
Old 04-14-12, 05:59 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Bilsteins are installed! Test drive report soon.
Old 04-14-12, 10:09 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Bilsteins are installed! Test drive report soon.

Cool. Try to find some smooth and rough terrain and let us know how they hold up.
Old 04-15-12, 12:08 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Not sure how to explain the ride. I adjusted the arms on the sensors back down as the ride was initially stiff.(I had the arms adjusted high due to bottoming with stock shocks) the ride is definitely different. I might just have to get used to it or find the perfect balance with the front still being able to be dialed in. Comfort setting doesn't seem to be the optimal setting anymore. The full sport setting is way to stiff and the second from sport seems to be were it seems balanced. I might adjust the arms to lowest point to see how that chages the ride.
Old 04-15-12, 12:43 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

if you can post a pic of the spring replacement mount or description of how you mounted the rear spring would be useful for us all... thanx

Quick Reply: Air Suspension to Standard Conversion?