GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Has anyone ever pulled the rear air suspension fuse to keep it in low?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 03:30 PM
pepe88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever pulled the rear air suspension fuse to keep it in low?

I figure this isn't a smart idea, but thought maybe it could be done with no problems. We don't have rough roads around here. My other two cars are lowered to the point of almost sitting on the ground and I never have any issues.
Old 12-20-11, 04:00 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pepe88
I figure this isn't a smart idea, but thought maybe it could be done with no problems. We don't have rough roads around here. My other two cars are lowered to the point of almost sitting on the ground and I never have any issues.
Can it really be done? If so, report back the results!
Old 12-20-11, 07:31 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A truck is meant to be lifted if anything. Yes, it isn't a smart idea. No offense, bud.
Old 12-20-11, 08:36 PM
mann777

Received 65 Likes on 31 Posts

If removed, then you would have a cluster warning, all the time.
Old 12-21-11, 06:18 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's also likely going to ride like crap because you'll be sitting on or near the bump stops, and bouncing off of them all the time.

If your other cars are lowered, though, this may feel just like home
Old 12-21-11, 06:41 PM
pepe88
Driver School Candidate

Yes, with all my other cars lowered, crappy ride is my middle name. Doesn't bother me as long as it looks good.
Old 12-21-11, 09:08 PM
LifeEnjoyr
Driver

Originally Posted by ROK
A truck is meant to be lifted if anything. Yes, it isn't a smart idea. No offense, bud.
Agreed!
Old 12-21-11, 09:10 PM
N305AS
Rookie

I'd like to know just the opposite - is there a way to keep the suspension RAISED at all times?
Old 12-22-11, 06:36 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by N305AS
I'd like to know just the opposite - is there a way to keep the suspension RAISED at all times?
Me too. When I raise it via the button it feels so smooth. When I raise it mechanically by adjusting the sensors under vehicle its super stiff. Why?
Old 12-22-11, 08:51 AM
mann777

Received 65 Likes on 31 Posts

becoz if it is via the sensor the apt amount of fluid and air is balanced with the shock using the compressor. But manually done the pump does not read the values recvd frm the sensor. So u end up having a vacuum built with no gas or fluid balancing the shocks. Result bumpy ride.
Old 12-27-11, 07:28 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the issue would be that if your bags needed air, and the fuse was pulled (rear suspension disabled), you'd eventually be riding on just the rear shocks...then it would be a matter of time before an accident or blown shocks.

It would be better to "trick" the rear sensors to make it think that the truck is too high (opposite of what others are doing to lift their trucks)
Old 12-28-11, 05:08 PM
N305AS
Rookie

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
I think the issue would be that if your bags needed air, and the fuse was pulled (rear suspension disabled), you'd eventually be riding on just the rear shocks...then it would be a matter of time before an accident or blown shocks.

It would be better to "trick" the rear sensors to make it think that the truck is too high (opposite of what others are doing to lift their trucks)
Wouldn't the key be to "trick" the sensors into thinking the truck is too LOW, so it's always keeping the bags inflated?
Old 12-29-11, 10:03 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Wouldn't the key be to "trick" the sensors into thinking the truck is too LOW, so it's always keeping the bags inflated?
Tricking the GX into thinking it was too low would mean that there was added weight in the rear, so the truck would add air to raise it up to "normal" height (which would result in a lift)

Tricking the GX into thinking it was too high would mean the bags would let air out, to lower it to "normal" height (which would result in a drop)

Old 12-30-11, 05:50 PM
N305AS
Rookie

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
Tricking the GX into thinking it was too low would mean that there was added weight in the rear, so the truck would add air to raise it up to "normal" height (which would result in a lift)

Tricking the GX into thinking it was too high would mean the bags would let air out, to lower it to "normal" height (which would result in a drop)

Right, and since my goal would be eliminating the "bottoming-out" sensation (it's gone when raised up to high setting), what I'm looking for is a way to tricking the GX into thinking it's too low, resulting in a lift.
Old 01-01-12, 10:35 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Right, and since my goal would be eliminating the "bottoming-out" sensation (it's gone when raised up to high setting), what I'm looking for is a way to tricking the GX into thinking it's too low, resulting in a lift.
That's what I did on mine. There are treaded joints that are attached to the rear sensors. Those links adjust, so just give it one complete turn making it longer and you will get lift. IIRC, one full turn making the link longer resulted about 1.5" lift?

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever pulled the rear air suspension fuse to keep it in low?