GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

100,000 mile GX still super reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-13, 12:54 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gxman1
What did you do with the old broken unit? do you still have the broken unit, if you recall my AC Temp switch is faded, they sell the other 5 buttons except the Driver side Temp button. I am looking for someone who upgraded the NAV unit or changed the old one so I can get the button.
I sold everything else back on eBay to recoup some of my money back. I wish I had them to help you out....sorry.
Old 11-25-13, 12:59 PM
gxman1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
I sold everything else back on eBay to recoup some of my money back. I wish I had them to help you out....sorry.
I know you would have!
Old 12-02-13, 10:49 AM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gxman1
FLUID,

It is very easy, all you need is a flat screwdriver, and phillips, you do not need to take the entire assembly out. I bought mine from ebay for about $25 a piece. Here is how to do it. MAKE SURE YOU BUY WITH MEMORY. It is called ACTUATOR ASSY, OUTER MIRROR, make sure to buy R or L, since they are different.

See attached, make sure when you insert the flat screwdriver it is angled as pictured. It comes right out. The only part which is hard to reach with your finger is the back connection.

The left side, I was very careful and took me 10 min, the right side 5 min. SEE ATTACHED
Here is what I would do, play with the switch and see /hear if there is slight noise or movement. If so, change the actuator. Dont try to open it and fix it, most likely it wont work. I dissembled and tried to lubricate and change the servo motor, the problem was the plastic housing gets slightly warped and the gears would get stuck. Afterwards, I just bought used for ebay for $25 and changed it instead of fixing it. Now my both side works flawlessly.

Part # is 8790960731 for left side with memory.
New cost is around $120 search internet with part number,
Used from ebay is around $50. I manged to get is cheaper.
THX - great help if I ever need to trouble shoot a mirror issue. I love the attachment, nicely detailed!
Old 12-02-13, 03:00 PM
rsjasonp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 03 has 133,000 miles and is running like a gem! Maintain oil changes every 5k and have all service records from day 1...She’s bullet-proof.
Knock-on-wood
Old 12-08-13, 10:24 AM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding the original thread about 100k and more on a GX, Toyotas and Lexus's are designed, and are good for 300-400k miles. I was a Sales Manager for Toyota several years ago and ROUTINELY saw used Toyotas come in for trade with 250-350k miles on them. They were still in great running condition. Conversely, we sold many, many used Toyotas with "high" miles on them and they a) retained their value greatly, and b) would not stay on our lot very long. Used Toyotas were (are) ALWAYS in high demand because, well maintained, they will give you hundreds of thousands of (mostly) trouble-free miles. I recently bought a 2007 GX (one owner, well maintained, every option, including the Sport Package, except the Rear Entertainment Package) with 89k miles on it. I consider this GX just getting started in it's life. Barring anything really major happening to it, I'm planning on keeping it until it hits 400k miles. It's 6 years old now, but looks, and drives, like brand new. That's the Lexus Quality shining through. I didn't hesitate to buy my last 4Runner with 79k miles on it and it ran flawlessly until about 130k when a deer hit it and totaled it. It was then I decided to step up and buy a Lexus GX. I used to think my 4Runner Limited was pretty nice, but my GX puts it to shame in EVERY category, on and off-road. I've only put about 5k on my GX, but, predictably, they've been perfectly trouble-free miles. Like I told clients who were buying new Toyotas from us, just do the scheduled maintenance on them and they will run forever. Yes, we pay a premium for our Lexus's (and Toyotas), but, I believe, you definitely get what you pay for. I've had a slew of BMW's (all bought new) and Mercedes and used to think that they were the best vehicles on the road. I even have an Uncle who has been a Lexus guy for over twenty years and always told him that he could "do better". Boy, was I wrong. After I bought my GX and had driven it on three very long road trips, and had driven it extensively off-road, I had to call him and "eat crow". He told me that he's had some Lexus's during that time that had gone WAY over 200k miles and had GREAT resale value when he wanted to get a newer one. These GX's have a PROVEN platform that they're built on, the 2uz-fe engine in them has been perfected over the years and will last for hundreds of thousands of miles (mostly trouble free if you keep on a regular maintenance schedule) and the general overall quality, dependability and reliability of them means that buying one with "high miles" is just a less expensive way to drive an EXCELLENT SUV. When looking for a "new" vehicle, drive the rest, then drive the GX. In my experience, the Lexus GX was/is head and shoulders above the rest. My two cents.

Last edited by GX470Fan; 12-08-13 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Misspellings
Old 12-08-13, 10:53 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Here is a write up I did on the Mirror actuator remove and replaced! Very easy less that 30 minutes

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-up-picts.html
Old 12-08-13, 11:53 AM
roemer7
Rookie

We've had our 2006 GX with RSES and ML sound for seven days now. I bought it with 99,986 miles. We searched from Chicago to St. Louis and couldn't find a better one. One owner, complete service history at a Lexus dealer. 90k mile service done this past January. New tires, battery, brake pads all around, outstanding condition overall. I paid $18,475.00. It's missing the DVD remote control and the hood could stand to be touched up a little (rock chips), but its a huge upgrade for our family. We sold our 2011 Sienna to make room for the GX. I don't regret it in the least. The GX runs like new and I anticipate getting many, many miles out of it.
Old 12-08-13, 12:19 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by roemer7
We've had our 2006 GX with RSES and ML sound for seven days now. I bought it with 99,986 miles. We searched from Chicago to St. Louis and couldn't find a better one. One owner, complete service history at a Lexus dealer. 90k mile service done this past January. New tires, battery, brake pads all around, outstanding condition overall. I paid $18,475.00. It's missing the DVD remote control and the hood could stand to be touched up a little (rock chips), but its a huge upgrade for our family. We sold our 2011 Sienna to make room for the GX. I don't regret it in the least. The GX runs like new and I anticipate getting many, many miles out of it.
You can pick up a remote here:
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2006/5104.html

Sign up for a free account w/ your clublexus user name and you'll get a discount.
Old 12-11-13, 09:40 AM
GX470Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pretty good price!

While you didn't specify every option on your GX (ie Sport Package, etc.), it sounds like you got a pretty good deal, especially with all the work that was done to it. All that work was worth well over 2k, at least, especially with the new tires. Read my post above. Mine had all that work done as well, has every option but the Rear Entertainment Package, had only 89k on it, was an '07 vs your '06, perfect condition (clear bra all around the front kept chips to a bare minimum), all Lexus Service Records and I gladly paid $24.5k for it. So considering you got yours for 6k less, all considered, I think that was a VERY fair price. Good Luck with it and Enjoy! I absolutely LOVE my GX. Different, much, much better world than my 4Runner Limited I had before. I'm a Lexus guy from now on, for sure. Lexus GX = reliability, luxury, dependability and capability on and off-road!
Old 12-16-13, 09:15 AM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GX470Fan
While you didn't specify every option on your GX (ie Sport Package, etc.), it sounds like you got a pretty good deal, especially with all the work that was done to it. All that work was worth well over 2k, at least, especially with the new tires. Read my post above. Mine had all that work done as well, has every option but the Rear Entertainment Package, had only 89k on it, was an '07 vs your '06, perfect condition (clear bra all around the front kept chips to a bare minimum), all Lexus Service Records and I gladly paid $24.5k for it. So considering you got yours for 6k less, all considered, I think that was a VERY fair price. Good Luck with it and Enjoy! I absolutely LOVE my GX. Different, much, much better world than my 4Runner Limited I had before. I'm a Lexus guy from now on, for sure. Lexus GX = reliability, luxury, dependability and capability on and off-road!
I'm currently truck-shopping. I started looking for 4Runners and now moved on and am targeting a GX, but only because my wife insists I get a vehicle with a 3rd row (4Runners w/3rd rows are rare and crowded). I'm curious about your comment above - can you elaborate on why you like the GX so much better (other than more room)? TIA
Old 12-16-13, 10:55 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluid
I'm currently truck-shopping. I started looking for 4Runners and now moved on and am targeting a GX, but only because my wife insists I get a vehicle with a 3rd row (4Runners w/3rd rows are rare and crowded). I'm curious about your comment above - can you elaborate on why you like the GX so much better (other than more room)? TIA
If you haven't already done so, I would suggest finding a GX and checking out the third row seats for yourself. Space in the third row of seats on the second generation GX is quite limited. For an average-sized adult, he/she is pretty much going to be sitting with his/her knees in his/her face. Besides the limited amount of room in the third row, getting in and out of the third row is neither easy or convenient. To get in or out of the third row, you need to fold up the second row seats and, essentially, crawl into the third row, and you need to go through the same procedure to exit the third row of seats. Further, when those third row seats are folded up and not in use, they significantly reduce the amount of usable space behind the second row of seats.

I bought my 2005 GX in 2005, and I could make a long list of things about the GX that I really like, but the third row seats would not be on that list. There are many examples of what I would consider to be excellent design on the GX, but the third row seats strike me more as an afterthought. I suppose that they are better than no third row seats at all, but I wouldn't consider them to be much better, and I think of them to be suitable for little more than very occasional use for a small child.
Old 12-16-13, 11:47 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lesz
If you haven't already done so, I would suggest finding a GX and checking out the third row seats for yourself. Space in the third row of seats on the second generation GX is quite limited. For an average-sized adult, he/she is pretty much going to be sitting with his/her knees in his/her face. Besides the limited amount of room in the third row, getting in and out of the third row is neither easy or convenient.
Not if they have young kids. My daughter loves jumping in / out of the barn door and crawling over the 2nd row to the 3rd to have her "own" space if her little brother is bugging her.
Old 12-16-13, 11:59 AM
roemer7
Rookie

I have to agree with RCsGX. We traded in our 2011 Sienna for a 2006 GX. We have three kids, 7,5, and 3. The two oldest love the third row and they all fit comfortably in the middle row. Our Sienna had a crazy amount of space, too much honestly. The GX is the perfect size for us. The only car I'd trade it in for is a Land Cruiser/LX.
Old 12-16-13, 12:42 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

The only car I'd trade it in for is a Land Cruiser/LX.
Same here.

The day I handed over the check to purchase my GX the dealer also had an LX for sale, he said do you want it because he say me keep eying it. It was the same price as my GX but was 2-3yrs older, roughly the same mileage, also fully loaded (minus RSES) / 1 owner but was sand dollar pearl in color. At times I wish I would've bought it for the extra room but the GX looks more sporty so you can't have it all I guess.
Old 12-16-13, 01:59 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by RCsGX
Not if they have young kids. My daughter loves jumping in / out of the barn door and crawling over the 2nd row to the 3rd to have her "own" space if her little brother is bugging her.
That is, I think, my point. If your intended use for the third row seats is for young children, the third row seats will be fine, but, if you are using them to haul around grandma and grandpa (or most other adults), you are going to have unhappy passengers, not only with the amount of room that they have, but, also, with the contortions that they have to perform to get in and out.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my GX. With almost 9 years of ownership, it is the 2nd longest I've ever kept a vehicle, and, if I didn't think it was a great vehicle, I certainly would not have had it that long. But, to me, the third row seats still come across as an afterthought, and their implementation is clearly not as good as the third row seats in many of its competitor's vehicles or those in the more recent versions the GX.

Quick Reply: 100,000 mile GX still super reliable?