GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Spoiler install, non factory

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 01:55 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job and great write up. I did this on my own truck by myself and it was not only scary but a PIA. Did you use any antirust compound on the holes you drilled?

I did plus I painted it over with some touchup paint and also put some silicone over it before screwing the spoiler on.
Old 02-04-12, 02:16 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kphu, I read your post on how you dealt with the holes. After deburring the holes. I used automotive primer, with a cue tip, most of the fuzz removed. I wanted to reach in and get a ring of primer on the inside, as well as the acutal hole. I did have some touch up color for the second coat. Then I used the rustproofing again with a cue tip. I eve put some at the base of the screws, before installing the screws. I cleaned the outside with alcohol, then used body sealant betweeb the base of the spoiler and the back door. I didn't want water getting under the spoiler.
Old 02-07-12, 10:39 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Update, the first picture is when I bought the car, without the spoiler, over a year ago
Attached Thumbnails Spoiler install, non factory-100_3846.jpg  
Old 02-07-12, 10:41 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

This next picture is after the spoiler installation
Attached Thumbnails Spoiler install, non factory-spoiler.jpg  
Old 02-07-12, 10:49 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

This is the last picture, showing the two 1/2 rubber caps installed to cover the two bottom holes, near the top of the plastic trim. The red dots indicate where the weather stripping contacts the doors and the caps do not interfer with the sealing.

Thoughts!

Likes- Looks more complete, like the majority of the other GX's. I always liked the looks of the spoiler.

Slight negatives- As stated by others, this spoiler doesn't seem to keep the window any cleaner, barely noticeable. The rear bumper is so high and the square sides, everything whips up from the bottom of the car.
Little harder to wash the car and wax in the tight areas. Little snow falls on your head from the spoiler when you open the door.

Would I do it again all over. YES

Now that I look at my after spoiler picture after posting, the car looks a little cleaner than when I bought it .
Attached Thumbnails Spoiler install, non factory-caps.jpg  

Last edited by Ancient; 02-07-12 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-07-12, 10:54 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now it looks like a real GX!! Great job!
Old 02-07-12, 02:24 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ancient
This next picture is after the spoiler installation
Ancient, great job installing the spoiler. Look OEM! BTW, I like the chrome exhaust tip on your car. It looks bigger and better than most OEM chrome tip. WHere did you get yours? TIA.
Old 02-07-12, 02:46 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

redrocks- thanks

scorpio74 thanks as well. Exhaust tip, stylintrucks, Part #PM577 here's link, under $20.00

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/pi...p25pm577-.aspx

However, I wasn't aware of the factory Toyota 4 runner tip at that time. That secures with a hose type clamp at the back. Mine is stainless on the outside, fits nice, but the inside baffle is regular steel and rusting. It fits the inner diameter of the stainless. Drips a little rust out the tip. I should just remove the inner part.
Old 02-11-12, 02:36 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

looks like i'll be doing this spoiler mod very soon, looks great
Old 02-29-12, 01:44 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

finally installed my spoiler today, using ancient's idea of roping the spoiler from rack top i was able to install it all by myself - the hardest part is where you have to be careful not to drop the screws inside the cargo door inner space - this happened to me on my g35 coupe and i learned that you had to tape the screw to your driver or allen wrench - one hand holding the spoiler (no rope here cuz the door must be opened to tighten the screws from inside) and the other with allen wrench-screw tightening the screw was the most challenging part (risk dropping spoiler and risk dropping screws into inner space... what a pita - ancient made i look so easy... would've been if had 2nd hand and had this been a sedan or coupe yeah... but on an suv it's very soring for the arms and shoulder... but glad i saved myself $500 bucks doing it though and doing it right too... hahaha
Old 02-29-12, 03:02 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

Congradulations! Good job. Your right as I stated, tough but not impossible for one person. I left the soft rope on the hinge side of the spoiler, but lenghtened the rope before I put the screws in. In other words, the spoiler was lower on the back door, until I opened it enough to put one screw in on the opening side of the door. As I opened the door, the slack was taken out in the rope and it raised up into position. Use masking tape to hold the screws to the driver. Sorry, didn't add those details, because it seemed like I was writing a novel to begin with. Glad I inspired someone, because reading about it here, inspired me to do it. Great forum.
Old 03-02-12, 12:43 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

tough indeed brother... if i ever do another spoiler install on a gx470 i will have to try that hinge&rope trick - you don't know how much i was sweatin it between the possibility of dropping the spoiler and dropping the screw into the inner space... hahaha

glad you ancient put some pictures up, i saw kphu had written about his experience this but your pictures truly inspired me hahaha
Old 04-03-12, 07:41 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

nice write up.. will be using this when i install mind
Old 04-12-12, 03:23 PM
Makakio
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ancient (and others) - THANKS!

I am NOT a DIY guy, but having just bought a pristine 07 CPO with 45k miles (same color as yours ancient) - and having the only option delete being a spoiler I have to add it no question.

Can you please advise:
1) where to buy
2) did you buy painted or not-painted?

Kind thanks
Old 04-17-12, 01:00 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Makakio, here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Painted-2005...&vxp=mtr&hash=

It was spoiler central on ebay, $119.00, painted

Quick Reply: Spoiler install, non factory