GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Ipod video to the screens in the car...dumb question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 01:30 PM
JAH29
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod video to the screens in the car...dumb question?

This may be a dumb question...I am having a hard time articulating it.

Is there a way to take an ipod, or iphone (or ipad) that has movies on it and get them to play through the screens in the truck?

I have read all the vaistech, coastaltech and now beatsonic posts and I am certain the information is there but my brain cramps up while trying to find/understand it.

I don't necessarily need all the overrides for various things and am pretty handy so if I have to clip the ebrake wire and ground it that's fine too but I don't want to waste $$$ on any of these if they don't have what I'm looking for. Unfortunately we don't really get dvds anymore and it would seem that most of what the kids watch is downloaded onto apple products.

Thanks for any help or advice.

2007 w/nav, mark levinson and RES.
Old 02-06-12, 04:42 PM
Sweep
Driver School Candidate

the little door on the back of the center console has RCA audio/video in, I would assume that works although I haven't tried it since I got the dock->rca cable.
Old 02-06-12, 06:53 PM
JAH29
Driver School Candidate

I saw those inputs but don't know of a cable interface between ipod --> RCAs?

I 'suspect" it could be as easy as this --> http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-GIPODAV.../dp/B003WHCVRI
Old 02-06-12, 07:18 PM
eddyprice
Driver School Candidate

Yes that will let you play movies from your ipod, etc. through the rear RCA inputs to your RSES! We have the apple version and don't have any issues with static. It's a great way to be able to have a lot of movies accessible.
Old 02-06-12, 07:22 PM
sidwin
Pole Position

i've been researching this since purchasing the car last week. i spoke with beat sonic and they pointed out that the tv is going to be expecting a digital input and therefore the vaistech stuff has to be used to take the analog signal and bring it back to digital. That's pretty expensive to be honest $400 just to do that... I ordered a set of headrest tv's for half the price and will use that instead. i'll just get the dvd bypass and nav bypass and call it a day. i really wished there was a way to play divx but i'm guessing that isn't possible if your have the mark levinson system.
Old 02-06-12, 08:43 PM
Bob GX
Driver

Apple does make a cable to connect an iPod, touch, iPad, iPhone, etc to RCA inputs - called an 'Apple Composite AV Cable' that might be worth looking in to. My GX doesn't have the RSES so I'm not sure what those jacks are capable of doing. I have that cable and use it to watch videos/movies from my Apple devices on a GPS I have that accepts RCA inputs, and I've also tried it on my TV and it works just fine. The bigger the screen the higher resolution is needed from the iPad to look good - I suspect if the video you want to watch looks good on an iPad it will look fine on the GX considering the screen sizes.. There are other companies that also make a cable similar to this Apple one.
Old 02-07-12, 06:55 AM
JAH29
Driver School Candidate

thank you guys very much!