GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

75K on my 2004 GX-Thinking About a Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-12, 04:21 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdew002
Well, the downside is that you now have extended your payment for another 4/5/6 years, vs having the truck paid off in 16 months.
This is a good point. I would counter and say that today's interest rates are so low, the actual cost of extending the payments is negligible, and the payments are still bound to an asset, albeit a depreciating one. Personally, I feel that I will always have a car payment as I'd rather borrow money at or near 0% then lay out my own cash. Whenever I have paid off cars in the past, as they have aged, and technology has advanced, I would always find myself wanting new ones anyway.

Originally Posted by sprocket
The reason for the Tundra is that I pull a boat that weighs about 5,000lbs. The GX pulls it fine, but this is the reason for the truck. I can get a reasonably well equiped double cab in the upper 20's.

I am also a boat owner (19' Larson Bowrider) and I've pulled my boat with a number of different vehicles. Before I got the GX, for my twice a year long hauls, I would borrow a relatives 09 F150 Lariat. To launch and recover the boat locally I plan to use the GX this year. Previous years I have used a V8 Explorer and Xterra. I am sure the GX will handle this task fine, I've pulled the boat around locally already (love the height control) ... In fact I was considering not using the F150 anymore and just depending on the GX.

I am curios to know why you think the Tundra would be superior, as you state the GX pulls the boat fine? Do you tow long distances or extremely frequently? The height control, standard on GX, on the tundra probably puts you beyond "reasonably" equipped.
Old 02-20-12, 04:57 PM
sprocket
Intermediate

Originally Posted by z0lt3c

I am curios to know why you think the Tundra would be superior, as you state the GX pulls the boat fine? Do you tow long distances or extremely frequently? The height control, standard on GX, on the tundra probably puts you beyond "reasonably" equipped.
It's not that the GX has any trouble pulling the boat. I have a 22' Sea Pro center console. The issue is more driving a 2004 versus a 2012. When I take the boat fishing, it is about a 60 mile drive each way. Gotta love the 9-10mpg! I wish I was using it more oftern though.

The Tundra does have 0% financing and I agree it is cheap money.

Old 02-20-12, 07:10 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sprocket
It's not that the GX has any trouble pulling the boat. I have a 22' Sea Pro center console. The issue is more driving a 2004 versus a 2012. When I take the boat fishing, it is about a 60 mile drive each way. Gotta love the 9-10mpg! I wish I was using it more oftern though.

The Tundra does have 0% financing and I agree it is cheap money.

I would imagine the Tundra 5.7 l engine would make it easier and mpg would be slightly higher. And when you;re not towing, it makes a great HOTROD GO FOR IT!
Old 02-20-12, 07:27 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice boat.
Old 02-21-12, 02:17 AM
Ancient
Pole Position

BRAKES, the Tundra has superior BRAKES. I know you have trailer brakes.

Last edited by Ancient; 02-22-12 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-21-12, 05:55 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

based on your figures the minimum tax you will pay for sure is $1k, but that is small and only one of the several losses you can have - the biggest off hand if you trade is the tradein loss - dealers are smart that way cuz they been doing this 365 days a year for decades now so don't think you can outsmart them... what i am referring to is they will give you several thousands less than your car can be sold for on autotraders per se... while you save $1k on tax from trade in... and if you think they give you a good tradein figure then obviously they will hike the price of tundra or give you no bargaining leeway... either way they win and you take a small loss but that isn't important so much as the fact that your boat kicks a$$ man... i am drooling right now hahaha
Old 02-21-12, 06:27 AM
sprocket
Intermediate

Thanks for the comments on the boat. Living in FL our boating season is year round.

There is a Toyota dealer in Asheville, NC who posts discounted prices on their website which seem pretty good. www dot jimbarkelytoyota.com. I would have no problem making the trip. It gives me a good idea of what is available. They had a 2011 leftover Crewmax for $26K but it was gone as fast as I saw it. Those trucks are like a living room on wheels.
Old 02-21-12, 12:30 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

my brother has the 09 crewmax tundra fully optioned one - it is a big truck... the ride is nonluxury but the interior is very nice but again not a luxury type design... but it is more updated than the 04 gx470 for sure... other than that it doesn't fit in his 3 car garage and he's a dentist with 2 clinics so his house is not anything to look down upon so i wonder how the rest of the people out there with tundra live with keep their tundra parked outside all the time... i couldn't do that myself
Old 02-23-12, 06:05 AM
golfdawg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 117k on my GX and love it. I had a F250 Diesel that I sold to get my wife a more fuel efficient car since she drives the most to work and back. I too pull a heavy boat with no issues and I also am thinking of getting a Tundra much like you are. At the end of the day I have decided to be patient and wait. I have no issues and can not see why to get rid of it. "If it aint broke, dont fix it" mentality. Tundra is a great choice. This is just going to have to be your decision in the end. I am about to replace timing belt and I do my own brakes, so the cost is ok with me because I want to keep it. Good luck. Oh and I would think that the Tundra is going to suck fuel as well. Towing or not. My buddy tows his 23 Cruiser with his Tundra and it gets around 6-8mpg.

Last edited by golfdawg; 02-23-12 at 06:10 AM.
Old 02-23-12, 11:50 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

Originally Posted by golfdawg
I have a 117k on my GX and love it. I had a F250 Diesel that I sold to get my wife a more fuel efficient car since she drives the most to work and back. I too pull a heavy boat with no issues and I also am thinking of getting a Tundra much like you are. At the end of the day I have decided to be patient and wait. I have no issues and can not see why to get rid of it. "If it aint broke, dont fix it" mentality. Tundra is a great choice. This is just going to have to be your decision in the end. I am about to replace timing belt and I do my own brakes, so the cost is ok with me because I want to keep it. Good luck. Oh and I would think that the Tundra is going to suck fuel as well. Towing or not. My buddy tows his 23 Cruiser with his Tundra and it gets around 6-8mpg.

wow... i am already dreamin to moving southeast just to revolve my life around speedboat and the ocean... nice boat
Old 02-23-12, 05:10 PM
sprocket
Intermediate

Originally Posted by golfdawg

Goldawg - Did you have any issues with the GX after 80K? How often did you drain/fill the tranny and differentials?

Since I only drive between 9 & 10K a year I'm thinking about hanging on to it.
Old 02-24-12, 04:00 PM
brycejaq
Driver

I bought my wife an 06 GX 2 1/2 years ago, doubled the mileage from 40k to 80k and have seen no signs of any issues with it yet. We just traded up our 99 4Runner for my new-to-me 08 Tundra CM Ltd. So, we just went for the best of both worlds. Got the GX for the family & the Tundra for the utility (and the family, at times).

We also have a "newly built home" w/ a "budget garage", it's a 3-car, but we only park on the main 2-car door side, and both of them fit. Granted, I have to back mine in in order to have enough space to get in and out comfortably (my wife is also 5 months pregnant, so I try to leave her a tad more room on her side)...but it doesn't sound like garage parking is a huge concern on your part.
Old 02-25-12, 07:26 AM
golfdawg
Driver School Candidate

Sprocket, I have had no issues with the GX at all. I have not changed any of the fluids yet. She has been a great machine. I am giving considerations to having that done. Thinking about going to the "Royal Purple" What are your thoughts on Royal Purple?
Old 02-25-12, 08:03 PM
CruiserGX
Rookie

Save your money and keep the GX, at 75k miles it's not even broken in. Remember the GX is made in Japan while the Tundra in the USA, I have a thing for Japanese made Toyota's, they seem to be more reliable than USA made counterparts. Why would you trade a Cruiser for a Tundra? Just saying.
Old 02-26-12, 06:34 AM
sprocket
Intermediate

I'm really starting to lean more towards keeping it. I've never kept a vehicle past 88K, so I'm not sure what to expect. From what I have read, there are a lot of owners with much higher mileage, and the GX seems to hold it's value even past 100K miles. It still looks good which is a concern as I do need to keep a certain appearance professionally.

Quick Reply: 75K on my 2004 GX-Thinking About a Change