GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

75K on my 2004 GX-Thinking About a Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 05:04 PM
sprocket
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 75K on my 2004 GX-Thinking About a Change

In June it will be 3 years since I bought my 2004 CPO. It had 48K when I bought it. I'm thinking about getting a Tundra.

Based on what I see on KBB & Edmunds, the GX has really held its value well. I have had very few issues with my GX other than what I accept as regular maintenance. Of course, the 3yr CPO warranty is up in June.

Over the next 2 years, based on my use, I'll need tires and the 90K service including timing belt. I did finance the vehicle, and still have about 16 months, but the balance is around $5K.

If I keep it, I want to keep it for another 3 years. I'm just concerned about the cost as I've never kept a vehicle past 88K. Any suggestions/opinions? The mileage is low for a 2004, but it is still a 2004.
Old 02-19-12, 05:21 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Tundra is very nice. MPG is lower, but uses regular gas. Different animal than the GX, but overall maintenance will be lower than a Lexus. Of course, new truck payments and the GX should last over 200K miles with no truck payments?
Old 02-19-12, 05:59 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tundra is a fine truck but u can tell it is not close to having lexus refinement and no J on the vin.

Simpler car means less exposure to pricey fixes. Gl
Old 02-19-12, 06:59 PM
LifeEnjoyr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Tundra would still be very nice, you're really just giving up the few luxury features if that matters to you.
I'd say go for it if you're tired of the GX. Good luck!
Old 02-19-12, 07:44 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

my brother has a tundra, but it never gets to go inside the garage because it wont fit vertically or horizontally - something to keep in mind with the newer homes built on a budget - they won't fit in a garage

oh yeah, his is fully loaded four door so it's bigger than the rest i guess but i am not familiar with tundra just that they don't fit in garages very well

Last edited by clubsport; 02-19-12 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-19-12, 07:46 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

if i were you, i'd payoff the GX then keep it and get Tundra shortly after that. i think u'll miss GX once you got Tundra.
Old 02-19-12, 07:51 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

also, i know people love to change cars for whatever reason, but if it's not utilitarian or practical in nature then be patient - just remember that new car new taxex/registration fees/depreciation value loss etc... you take that money loss and fix your gx you would still come out ahead with money left over... been there done that and lessons well learned hahaha
Old 02-19-12, 07:54 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

A Tundra is really a completely different class of vehicle. I am assuming your needs have changed and you need some of the capabilities which the Tundra offers. In which case, trading the GX would make sense. However, you will suffer a quite substantial drop in ride quality and comfort so if you don't need the things the Tundra has -- it doesn't really make sense to me.

I agree with selling/trading the GX now - or - maintain and keep it for another 3 years. Just not so sure the Tundra is the right next vehicle....

Last edited by z0lt3c; 02-19-12 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-19-12, 07:58 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

Originally Posted by z0lt3c
A Tundra is really a completely different class of vehicle. I am assuming your needs have changed and you need some of the capabilities which the Tundra offers. In which case, trading the GX would make sense. However, you will suffer a quite substantial drop in ride quality and comfort so if you don't need the things the Tundra has -- it doesn't really make sense to me.

I agree with selling/trading the GX now - or - keeping it for another 3 years. Just not so sure the Tundra is the right next vehicle....
really? at 75k miles how much maintenance do you have to do for op to sell trade his car to avoid loosing money? please explain as i don't see the bigger picture right now... thanx
Old 02-19-12, 08:14 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

We can't make that decession for you. You know what will best fit your needs. Both good vehicles, just different. I would test drive the Tundra more than once, bumpy roads, freeway speed/ noise, wind noise. A new trucks suspension, will really be stiff. Then do the numbers as suggested. Present GX, cost at the 90 mile servicing, any tires or brakes needed as well, vs higher insurance, truck payment, taxes, etc. With the Tundra, you have the initial expenses listed, but probably just oil and lube for the first three years. Choose wisely grasshopper!
Old 02-19-12, 08:15 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Originally Posted by clubsport
really? at 75k miles how much maintenance do you have to do for op to sell trade his car to avoid loosing money? please explain as i don't see the bigger picture right now... thanx
Between 75K-100K I would almost guarantee timing belt ($1000), tires ($1000) and brakes ($350). Things like ball joints, wheel bearings and front shocks are also commonly replaced during this mileage range. If you like to be preventative I would also flush all fluids; cooling, differential, trans. It would make sense to sell before these repairs become necessary, if, their is no long term intent to keep the vehicle. The exception would be if you could do them yourself, for just the cost of parts...

Since the vehicle is presently financed, a monthly payment is already being made. Cashing out the ~13K in equity remaining in the current vehicle and adding another ~13K in financed value would get you back up to 26-28K which can get a newer GX with lower miles while maintaining (probably) the same payment and avoiding the maintenance costs.

If, at the end of the day, you have the same payment and a newer, lower mileage vehicle, I see no downside.
Old 02-19-12, 08:32 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between 75K-100K I would almost guarantee timing belt ($1000), tires ($1000) and brakes ($350). Things like ball joints, wheel bearings and front shocks are also commonly replaced during this mileage range. If you like to be preventative I would also flush all fluids; cooling, differential, trans. It would make sense to sell before these repairs become necessary, if, their is no long term intent to keep the vehicle. The exception would be if you could do them yourself, for just the cost of parts...

Since the vehicle is presently financed, a monthly payment is already being made. Cashing out the ~13K in equity remaining in the current vehicle and adding another ~13K in financed value would get you back up to 26-28K which can get a newer GX with lower miles while maintaining (probably) the same payment and avoiding the maintenance costs.

If, at the end of the day, you have the same payment and a newer, lower mileage vehicle, I see no downside.
Well, the downside is that you now have extended your payment for another 4/5/6 years, vs having the truck paid off in 16 months. Based on your driving pattern, you should own the truck by the time the 90k service hits - spend the 2K on tires/service and you can start sacking money away. For whatever comes up next.

It's almost always cheaper to repair an older car that has been paid off than it is to finance a newer vehicle.
Old 02-19-12, 08:41 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a change, then trade in your GX around 85k miles before the major services hit. We traded in our RX-h at 75k for a GLK350 because I did not want to keep a hybrid after the warranty expired, nor did I want to pour money into the major maintenance services.
Old 02-19-12, 08:43 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

well thanx for the info on maintenance, but i am not smart enough to grasp the middle paragraph about equity and financed value and how that can get you a newer gx etc... but let's say you take the gx to a toyota dealer and dish out $2k in maintenace - that is still cheaper than the taxes on a new or used tundra...
i have an 05 g35 coupe with 30k miles on it that i can't bear to sell or trade because of the depreciation value loss and not to mention the roughly $3k i put into it for hfc exhaust updating lights wheels etc...
i was in a rush to trade in the g35 but now that i have it all figured out money wise i think i will keep my g35 rather than sellin it because i am business owner so im not terribly in a rush every morning to brush the snow off it if decide to take a different car to work or drive it in the summer to keep mileage off the gx... in that sense i think op should keep the gx470 and pick an old f150 or somethin for dd or whatever reason he has for a needin a real truck

Last edited by clubsport; 02-19-12 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-20-12, 03:47 AM
sprocket
Intermediate

Thanks for all the input. If I wasn't on the fence I wouldn't have posted.

The reason for the Tundra is that I pull a boat that weighs about 5,000lbs. The GX pulls it fine, but this is the reason for the truck. I can get a reasonably well equiped double cab in the upper 20's.

The smart move is probably to keep the truck. The exterior and interior is in great condition. A couple of small scratches but not one door ding, and I keep it waxed. I haven't talked to a dealer about trade in value's, but based on KBB, average trade in is in the $19-20 range. It has Nav, ML stereo and tow package.

The sales tax is only on the difference between trade in and selling price, so if I was given $19K on a $28K vehicle, tax would only be on $9K, and the new loan would be around $15K with 0% financing.

I always seem to get the "itch" when my vehicle gets into the 70's. The difference here is that it is an '04. As said above, tires, timing belt, etc. aren't cheap, and any out of warranty repairs won't be fun either.

Quick Reply: 75K on my 2004 GX-Thinking About a Change