GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-17, 04:42 AM
Tact
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After replacing the air bags and new rear shocks I still feel the rear end is not riding correctly. The shocks I changed are Toyota shocks for the 4-Runner, which are supposed to be compatible. I originally switched to these same shocks some time ago when the OEM shocks took a dump years ago.

The rear just isn't taking bumps and dips as it did previously. Maybe the Neutral height needs to be adjusted up somehow? When I raise the height to Hi the ride is so much better. But as soon as you hit 20mph it automatically adjusts back down to Neutral.
Old 11-14-17, 09:17 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Tact
After replacing the air bags and new rear shocks I still feel the rear end is not riding correctly. The shocks I changed are Toyota shocks for the 4-Runner, which are supposed to be compatible. I originally switched to these same shocks some time ago when the OEM shocks took a dump years ago.

The rear just isn't taking bumps and dips as it did previously. Maybe the Neutral height needs to be adjusted up somehow? When I raise the height to Hi the ride is so much better. But as soon as you hit 20mph it automatically adjusts back down to Neutral.
its supposed to return to N at about 20 MPH....not riding correctly? what does that mean? is the suspension dropping down onto the bump stops? 4runner shocks not electronically adjustable like OEM shocks so not sure how that rides compared to lexus shocks......If airbags have been changed and its still dropping down, compressor may be shot too or height sensors...sometimes its the perfect storm, not just the air bags..
Old 11-14-17, 09:48 AM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

You can trick (adjusting) the high sensor to raise the airbag a bit.
Old 11-14-17, 01:08 PM
vxphan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The 4runner shock is not come with electrical connector for auto-leveling. so definitely the ride will be different.
Old 11-14-17, 01:13 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by vxphan
The 4runner shock is not come with electrical connector for auto-leveling. so definitely the ride will be different.
the shock has nothing to do with leveling the truck, it just adjusts the vavling to increase or decrease stiffness/rebound of the shock, from a "comfort/soft" level to sport/stiffer, less body roll maybe, settings. that can affect ride quality especially when the front shocks are behaving differently becausee they are still adjustable
Old 11-15-17, 07:52 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

I did a rear coil conversion on our GX a few weeks back, and I've had some time to drive it now. I like it every bit as well as the air suspension when it was at its best. And I never have to mess with air suspension components on this vehicle ever again, worrying about what was going to fail next.

I used the SSO conversion kit, FJ Cruiser rear springs (used), and Prado upper spring isolators, total cost was about $250US. The SSO kit includes spacers good for .25" or .5" of extra lift in the rear, but I found it was too tall compared to the stock front and removed them. End results are .5" taller height in the rear over the air suspension in "N", rides very nicely, doesn't bounce off the axle if I try to move it in the driveway when it's cold out, etc. I'm happy with my decision.

An educated buyer of a used GX should know the rear air suspension is one of those things that could fail and be expensive to repair. I would think the smarter of them would recognize the benefits this mod provides, and if they like what they see on their test drive, having a rear spring conversion done could be seen as a positive.
Old 11-16-17, 03:30 AM
Tact
Driver

Originally Posted by tz693
You can trick (adjusting) the high sensor to raise the airbag a bit.
Can someone explain how this is done?
Old 11-16-17, 02:02 PM
rtpatter
Driver School Candidate

Just had both bags replaced on 2007 GX 140k. $1,100 for everything issues seemed to be resolved.
Old 11-16-17, 06:14 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Can someone explain how this is done?
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...ontrol-sensor/

You can adjust the Height Control Sensor Link in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Air Suspension Problems or Questions-capture.jpg  
Old 11-17-17, 01:47 AM
dahoseman
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone else done the spring conversion and retained the bags as well, like this guy on IH8MUD
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gx4....840377/page-2

Here is his description:
Finished up my rear coil conversion the other day with a small twist. I ended up purchasing the AirLift 1000 bags and used the oem compresser system to inflate and deflate them. I didnt have to do any adjustments or pull any fuses and the truck doesnt know the difference. I used the metaltech conversion kit, radflo springs/shocks, and 4runner airlift 1000 bags.

Yes, it just so happened that my rear air bag trick was EXACTLY the same height setting as the Radflo 2" lift. Otherwise you'll just need to play with the sensors until the air bags have minimal pressure at the N setting. Obviously you'll lose your ability to go lower but, ride leveling and even making it taller by going to H still work great.

Unbelievably, the lines that come with the airlift bags fit over the oem lines with the tightest compression fit possible. I simply cut the oem clips off a couple inches back and just slip the oem line into the airlift lines. Instead of installing the airbags with the nipple facing downward, I followed Lexus design and just mounted the nipples facing up. The isolators already have a hole right through the middle so it was pretty freaking easy.

I honestly couldn't believe how well parts from 4 different manufacturers all worked together without a single complaint. Oh, one thing, I didnt install the top washer on the metal tech conversion kit. It would have made the big rubber base that comes with the air lift bags set unevenly, so I made an executive decision and went with it.

One more thing! At first I thought they sent me the wrong airbag kit, because the bags were woefully shy of the length of the full springs. It was the right kit though, so to remedy that problem I didnt cut the isolators down as much as AIrlift recommended. I cut the last two sections off of the isolators which left me with about a 2.5"-3" circumference of area that would be acting as the top "bump" stop for the airbags. I was concerned it would put too much pressure on that small area, but have been pleasantly surprised. Those bags are tough and did just fine. I've already towed a couple thousand pound around town with no problems.

The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (11-17-17)
Old 11-17-17, 04:09 AM
Tact
Driver

Originally Posted by tz693
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...ontrol-sensor/

You can adjust the Height Control Sensor Link in the picture.
So I assume you loosen the 10mm nut and slide the sensor up or down until you get the correct Neutral height? When does one adjust the linkage? Sure wish there was a video on how to correctly make the adjustment.
Old 11-17-17, 01:14 PM
inlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rtpatter
Just had both bags replaced on 2007 GX 140k. $1,100 for everything issues seemed to be resolved.
Ouch! I'm not all that handy and I replaced my left side bag last night - total cost was $70 for a new bag and 1 hr of my time. No special tools needed, you can cut the tip of a caulking tube off and use that to disconnect the air line. I could do the passenger side (if I needed to) in way less time. It's not super hard, it's just kind fiddly if you have big hands.

Thanks to this thread for the caulking tube trick and the PDF for the process!
Old 12-26-17, 02:09 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone has some ideas to help me out. I don't have a GX but I have a LS430 with air and the components are similiar with the same types of height sensors. I've always had a lean on my right rear and then the ride started getting bad recently. I replaced the strut and it rides better but it doesn't raise correctly. I adjusted the sensor and it doesn't do much. Now my left side is sagging too. Could it be just the right rear sensor? I don't have any codes and I have techstream, here is a screenshot. One value is reporting a negative, on my left rear, but it was the right rear that had the problem. When I raise and lower it in techstream it doesn't raise very much but can seem to lower it a little. When I raise after a while I hear a "click".

Also can I use height sensors from other models for the LS? The LS ones are $300 each!
Attached Thumbnails Air Suspension Problems or Questions-air-readout-ls430.png  

Last edited by e60bmw; 12-26-17 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-26-17, 02:57 PM
Rendell
Driver School Candidate

I know I fixed my suspension issue, and cold start valve issue. I received a quote to replace airbags and shocks at the Lexus dealership, $4400, then est $2000 to replace the Cold start valves, and the other parts that go with it. the fix: I traded the 2008 GX470, and $21K and received a brand new Tacoma SR5. Problems solved.
Old 12-29-17, 10:33 AM
edhuerta
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rough ride can be caused by the car body (Rubber stops) hitting the axle when riding over rough roads or bumps.
Adjust the Height Sensors about mid travel then measure the rear tires to wheel well clearance, I think it should be around 6 inches, that's what I did and the ride is real good now.

Sometime ago after camping with very cold weather the Suspension went into a self protect mode and I had no response from the Low/Normal/High switch, the air compressor did not run.

I started taking things apart components under the car with no help, I even applied 12Volts to the compressor and it run.
The problem was only corrected when I got a "iCarsoft TYT II" OBDM tester, that allow me to read and reset multiple alarms, then the compressor and the Low/Normal/High switch started to operate normally.

I think that anybody that has a GX470 should have one, a very useful tool and a money saver.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions