GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 12:08 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Long term review - rear spring conversion

I scrapped the rear airbag setup a few months back in favor of the SSO conversion kit, FJ Cruiser springs, and OEM Toyota spring isolators. I liked the ride compared to the tired air setup, but have further insight following some highway driving fully loaded down over the holidays. With a load in the rear it rides smoother than when empty, normal driving around town with no load is almost a bit bouncy in comparison, but no worse than the air suspension provided. I'm still very happy with the results.

If I was going to do it again with the goal of a stock height spring conversion, I'd probably go with the Metal Tech conversion kit (as I don't really need the adjustability the SSO kit provides and the MT kit is cheaper), and I'd probably go with the 4Runner springs as they have a bit less spring rate than the FJC ones, and you'd probably end up right at stock height in the rear. With no spacers on the SSO kit and the FJC springs I ended up about 1/2" taller than stock air setup. If you leave the 3rd row seats in you might be better off with the FJC springs, but mine are never in the truck. The SSO conversion kit includes 4 1/4" spacers allowing you to add one or two on each side to adjust your final ride height in the rear by 1/4 or 1/2".
Old 03-10-18, 04:11 PM
oardila99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any tricks to reset the air suspension?

Does anybody know how to reset the air suspension system, or has anybody tried the trick shown in this video and gotten it to work without ruining something else?

My rear suspension had been lowering overnight for a while, and finally it stopped working all together (I assume it entered a safety mode in which light is stuck in N, height control switch doesn’t work, and compressor doesn’t start). Then, I got the compressor to start again the other day after I disconnected the battery, so I got under and sprayed water with soap around, and saw one of the air springs leaking air, and after a few days the air suspension system stopped working again. So today I got a replacement air spring ($192 - NAPA) but I can’t get the compressor to start. Disconnected the battery and nothing. Pulled the 50A fuse and put it back on, but still nothing.

How can I safely reset the air ride system?

Thanks

OA
Old 03-10-18, 05:42 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

Check that you're getting voltage at the compressor. If you're getting voltage (and the ground is good) then the compressor has gone bad.

Chip H.
Old 03-10-18, 05:45 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,666 Likes on 2,400 Posts

If you do have to replace compressor they sell for less than $275 on eBay.
Old 03-11-18, 07:05 AM
oardila99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oardila99
Does anybody know how to reset the air suspension system, or has anybody tried the trick shown in this video and gotten it to work without ruining something else?https://youtu.be/M1UmAjxIVtU

My rear suspension had been lowering overnight for a while, and finally it stopped working all together (I assume it entered a safety mode in which light is stuck in N, height control switch doesn’t work, and compressor doesn’t start). Then, I got the compressor to start again the other day after I disconnected the battery, so I got under and sprayed water with soap around, and saw one of the air springs leaking air, and after a few days the air suspension system stopped working again. So today I got a replacement air spring ($192 - NAPA) but I can’t get the compressor to start. Disconnected the battery and nothing. Pulled the 50A fuse and put it back on, but still nothing.

Thanks

OA

S O L V E D

So the trick in the video did work. Just used a paper clip to jump-connect ports 4 and 13 on the DLC3 port, turned ignition to on and the lights on the dash started blinking. The air suspension “off” light just blinked constantly (and I think that indicates that there are no fault codes stored), after about 1 minute I turned ignition back to off and pulled the paper clip from the DLC3 connector. Then I started the engine and voila! Air suspension compressor started working again! Now the issue is that I quickly ran under and sprayed both bags with soapy water and noticed that BOTH bags are leaking, and not just one as I had thought. So now I have to buy another bag and get them both switched out.

To perform this trick use any little wire or paper clip to jump the ports 4 and 13 on the DLC3 connnector as seen in attached pic.

Good luck!

Last edited by oardila99; 03-11-18 at 07:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (03-11-18)
Old 03-11-18, 07:12 AM
edhuerta
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Resetting air suspension locked up

Originally Posted by oardila99
Does anybody know how to reset the air suspension system, or has anybody tried the trick shown in this video and gotten it to work without ruining something else?https://youtu.be/M1UmAjxIVtU

Thanks

OA
Use an ICARSOFT TYTII on the obdm port will allow you to read and reset any alarms on your GX470
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (03-11-18)
Old 03-11-18, 12:31 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Sometimes if you don’t catch that air bag leak early, you wind up burning out he compressor from it constantly running..
Old 03-26-18, 08:52 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It was my turn. I'd been expecting it.

Just replaced both rear shocks on my '08 GX w/99Kmi. Not an inexpensive endeavor at just under ~$550/ea + ~$100 installation labor.

Briefly toyed with the idea of Bilsteins and FJ springs or an Old Man Emu set-up, but the speed and convenience of an OEM solution won out. Maybe next time?!

Front struts still allegedly look good, but I'll replace them soon enough along with upper shock mounts per @@RCsGX (post 54 on https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...eliable-4.html)

Height sensors and air bags still allegedly look good, too. I'll keep an eye and ear on their "up's and down's."

Happy motoring.
Old 03-27-18, 05:39 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
It was my turn. I'd been expecting it.

Just replaced both rear shocks on my '08 GX w/99Kmi. Not an inexpensive endeavor at just under ~$550/ea + ~$100 installation labor.
No idea of quality but there are now 3rd party adjustable shock options for $170/each.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-48530-6...5/272966693706

Old 04-06-18, 01:04 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Old 04-06-18, 01:38 PM
Eliris
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am new to this forum. I am probably buying a GX460 with adjustable suspension with 100+K miles and i know i will have to replace the air springs and adjustable shocks.
Can you please share your experience with aftermarket/remanufactured air springs form brands like suncore, Unity, dorman, eccpp, scitoo, cardone? How many miles/years have you gotten out of these?

I am just trying to decide whether i should spend the extra $100-150 each for the originals, or if the aftermarket should be ok.

Same for the shock absorbers. Front should be straightforward with a pair of KYB, but what about the adjustable rear shocks. Are there any aftermarket for these?

Finally, same for aftermarket air compressors.
Old 12-12-18, 11:46 AM
Geoffmc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, first post here. Thanks to everyone for contributing to the discussion above. Bought a 2009 GX470 two months ago and have been very happy with the car. Unfortunately it was rear-ended last week (Honda Civic), and although there was minimal damage to the rear bumper, the civic primary hit the spare tire, which was ripped off the mount and pushed forward into the air suspension reservoir, bending it, pulling out at least the driver side airbag line, pinching (but not definitely puncturing) the passenger airbag line, and damaging some other mounting brackets under the truck. After the accident, both rear airbags were deflated and we had a bumpy ride home, with the body resting directly on the rear axle. Insurance totaled the car because of the damage to the mounting brackets on the frame (“frame damage”), but structurally everything looks good, so I’m going to replace the air reservoir and some of the air lines myself (I’m a DIY hack at best) and try to get her back on the road. Backup plan is to put some coils in, but would prefer to have the air suspension working for the coil/airbag trick in the future.

Questions for the group:
  1. Has anyone used these air lines? https://www.ebay.com/i/201956244589?chn=ps If so, do they require any special hardware?
  2. Had anyone had a situation where the DLC3 connector trick above does not work? Did this yesterday to try to diagnose leaks, but the suspension height was still stuck in neutral position with no air compressor activity after couple attempts. Everything went as described in the video/writeup, but for some reason the reset didn’t work. I’m wondering if damaged solenoids in the reservoir or damaged reservoir could be the issue?

Old 01-26-19, 07:39 AM
cdubc63
Driver School Candidate

Good morning everyone,

I am having similar issues to the folks above. I have a 2007 GX470 with about 160k miles. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all the information you forum pros are putting up above. So here is my issue, what's going on and what I have tried:
- Issues:
- Car is stuck on low and ride quality is terrible. Similar to what everyone else is saying.
- What I have noticed:
- When toggling the up/down/off buttons, nothing happens but the lights blink green to indicate the body is raising or lowering, but nothing is happening.
- When I hit 'off' when the green lights are blinking up/down, I can hear the pump trying to kick on and off, but again, nothing happens.
- What I have tried:
- Disconnecting battery and letting power cycle out, reconnected, started the car, nothing changed.
- I tried the jumper with a paperclip to the pin holes like you all suggested.
- As you all described, the lights blinked, the 'off' blinked and after about a minute, I turned the car to off, removed the paper clip, and started the vehicle. Unfortunately nothing changed.

I called Lexus and they of course will not tell me over the phone. It seems like it's either the ride height sensor, air compressor, or some component controlling the compressor. I have not crawled under the vehicle yet to examine the rear ride height sensors, but will be doing so shortly. Also, I just replaced the radiator a couple weeks ago. Not sure if it's telling, but as I think about the rough time frame of when this began occurring, the suspension issue began around the time I replaced the radiator.

All your help is appreciated sincerely. I am trying to go camping next weekend!
Old 01-26-19, 07:51 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Not the radiator. If you have read all the posts, it’s “ usually” an air bag leak that sends the rest of the system off...compressor goes from constantly cycling to fill air bags...occasionally it’s the height sensors frozen, rotted or other damage...but all in all, those rubber airbags are the weakest/most vulnerable component in the system...
Old 01-26-19, 08:09 AM
cdubc63
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Not the radiator. If you have read all the posts, it’s “ usually” an air bag leak that sends the rest of the system off...compressor goes from constantly cycling to fill air bags...occasionally it’s the height sensors frozen, rotted or other damage...but all in all, those rubber airbags are the weakest/most vulnerable component in the system...
I appreciate the quick response!

Just got out from under her. Drivers side rear height sensor looks solid, no damage at all, see photo below.

The only part on the driver side that looked even remotely worn is the black wiring covers they put over everything, the wires themselves and the insulation on them look perfect.

Then we get to the passenger side and bingo. Took me a few minutes to locate but it looks like the bolt end on the ride height sensor straight broker in half and its hanging loose. If you take a look at the photo below, the threaded assembly that connects to the black portion is what broke in half. Please confirm, but that could be what is causing all this?

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions