GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 08:28 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

E
Originally Posted by dblshock
thx, I searched it here and have a better understanding now. Just bought this GX470 167k couple weeks ago and updating...suspension is all OEM and seems to work but rough in some cases, Toyota mechanic put his computer on it and it threw a code...also I'll probably replace all the shocks with OEM but confused on shock prices from $200-$570ea. fact I did purchase the rears OEM in the Toyota boxes for $210ea. delivery is due soon.
The GX has a strut in the front and a shock in the rear. I’m assuming you are referring to $200 for the rear and $570 for the front?
Old 06-19-19, 02:21 AM
dblshock
Driver

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

the rears are higher prices with the electric valve motor attached but the wild difference in pricing has me worried about a knock-off market..can I verify that I bought oem replacements? is it stamped 'Toyota' anywhere on the rear shocks?
Old 06-19-19, 05:26 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by dblshock
the rears are higher prices with the electric valve motor attached but the wild difference in pricing has me worried about a knock-off market..can I verify that I bought oem replacements? is it stamped 'Toyota' anywhere on the rear shocks?

Where did you buy them?

and if I’m not mistaken...there is a Toyota stamp on the shock sleeve, it’s very small. But you should have the Toyota/Lexus sticker on the box or bag. It’s hard to miss since that sticker hasn’t changed in decades.. Toyota is in red with the barcode and part#(example xxxx-xxxx) below it.
Old 06-19-19, 06:10 PM
dblshock
Driver

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

e.bay

Yes I saw front shocks are clearly stamped but didn't notice the rear...darn and I just had the rear wheels off installing 20mm spacers.
Old 05-01-20, 06:49 PM
AZArmorer
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Air Suspension Compressor

Finally getting close to being ready to install an OME suspension on my 2008 GX470. Since the air compressor will no longer be needed I was wondering if there is anything it can be used for? I don't know the specs on it. It seems very small. Could it function for inflating the tires? Thanks!
Old 05-02-20, 02:30 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Its very small, and not really designed for sustained use, just toss it out.
Old 10-31-20, 07:11 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default front air suspension wont lift back does

Hi, my 03 GX the suspension height button when pushed up or down the rear does go up and down but I noticed the front is not moving at all, so in N position the rear sits higher than front, so assume front is in the low position and stuck there. Wondering what you guys think, and I was thinking about turning into overland for my son as it has been amazing truck last 9 years but he wants to turn into overland and wondering if keep stock set up or change out if this is large issue.
Old 10-31-20, 07:31 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

There's only air suspension on the rear, front is normal spring/shock with no height adjustability. The factory shocks are adjustable for firmness on all 4 corners via the dial on the center console.
Old 10-31-20, 11:30 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Wow, I always thought the front moved up and down with the rear. The rear seems to sit higher than the front and its in the neutral height position. I did see the rear go up and down (a little clunky but does it). Anyway to know if the factory shocks are working when I set the modes on the dial. I used to be able to notice a difference years ago, but not so much now. I have 255k, but truck wont give up, awesome vehicles.
Old 10-31-20, 11:41 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by foreste1
Wow, I always thought the front moved up and down with the rear. The rear seems to sit higher than the front and its in the neutral height position. I did see the rear go up and down (a little clunky but does it). Anyway to know if the factory shocks are working when I set the modes on the dial. I used to be able to notice a difference years ago, but not so much now. I have 255k, but truck wont give up, awesome vehicles.
At that mileage, it's unlikely the position of the dial makes much of a difference anymore, mine didn't when I replaced them with Dobinson's after one of them leaked all it's oil on my garage floor.
Old 10-31-20, 02:28 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Ok so if they are leaking, then we can replace with something different than the fluid filled shocks? Is this the time to change over shocks and springs to lift it 2-3 inches? My son wants to make into overland truck and use for camping etc.
Old 10-31-20, 02:51 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

If when you take the upper controller off the shock and it turns with the dial selection, the shock adjusting should be working.
Old 11-01-20, 06:02 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Ok great thank you, do you guys think if they are leaking, good time to switch them out to regular shock and I think would need springs too? I did figure out in the records Lexus replaced the rear airbags at 185k.
Old 11-01-20, 06:19 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

If they are leaking, yes it's time to replace them.
Aftermarket shocks that don't have the valving adjustment are going to be cheaper, but a lot depends on whether you use the feature.

Chip H.
Old 11-02-20, 11:51 AM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Ok great thank you, do you guys think if they are leaking, good time to switch them out to regular shock and I think would need springs too? I did figure out in the records Lexus replaced the rear airbags at 185k.
You do not need new springs.
What you might want is new upper & lower rubber/plastic. Some shocks come with a perch "gasket/cushion", others do not. I recommend these low cost items be replaced when doing new shocks on coilovers. If you reuse the old stuff and it wears out, everything still works, but it might get real squeaky.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions