GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Suspension Problems or Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-21, 08:24 AM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Don't make the same mistake I made Air Suspension

Two weeks ago someone decided that they wanted to be in my lane on the highway going 75 but didn't see that I was already in the place they wanted to be. They drove me into a divider and totaled my 04 GX. Sbe was gold and aside from the dated color was absolutely perfect. 140k and great. Shame
I began the search in NJ, NY and PA and finally found a well cared for 05 that was in great condition. Mica Blue and clean inside and out.
Only issue was the air suspension was leaking. I tow a lot so I figured might as well replace the shocks.. compressor works as it was going on and off every 30 seconds.
Found a set on Amazon for $135 with good reviews. Replaced both shocks and yes it was a little frustrating but as soon as turned the key the truck pumped up and the ride was great. Took her to get some gas and as soon as I turned off the engine I heard the dreaded hiss... a leak.. after fueling up I hear the compressor going on. Back home and under the truck and see that the passengers side is leaking. Feel around the bellow and nothing. I guess that its probably the fitting on the shock as it wasn't as tight as original.
Remove...add some duct tape.. push in as far as it could go.
reinstall... still leeaking. So much that I can feel the bellow falling. Pull shock and put back original.. still leaking.
Feel around hoses.. no air leaking
Spray soap nothing.
i pull the air line and test it with my compressor. Holding air fine. Reinstall and leaking again. I'm losing my mind.
I set to High. Let it fill up, turn off engine and now I start moving the same fill hose. One section near frame is covered with a small rubber hose. I can hear the air coming out.. I move that hose at the bend and it stops leaking!!
I pulled the hose again and this time I peeled back the rubber section and find a hairline crack that only opens when the hose is fully flexed like it is when it sits in the frame clamps.
I mended it and its now working perfectly.
Ordered a new air hose. Now I'm wondering if the air bags were bad or it was just this hose. The old bags have cracks so needed to be replaced anyway.
check your air hoses!

The following users liked this post:
TDYalden (08-18-21)
Old 08-15-21, 01:28 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

The shocks don't use air.
Any airbag or shock "set" for $135 is not going in my GX.
The plastic tubing can get dry rot over time and crack.
Use Arnott air bags.
Take apart the air solenoid box carefully, clean out the dirt, oil it (sparingly), re-assemble and install.
Tech (08-18-21)
Old 08-15-21, 03:35 PM
ste6168
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension Issues

Hi all - Seems to be a pretty popular topic on this and other Lexus boards. We own a 2006 GX470 and overall, it has been a great car. Recently I started noticing the rear end of the car was sitting lower than normal when parked. I drove it yesterday and the ride was awful, extremely rough/bumpy. Looked under the car and found that the bags are not inflated and the rubber stoppers (not sure of name) are sitting on the axle. Doesn't sound like the compressor is turning on, and I am assuming there is also a leak in the bags or airlines, as previously the car would be lower than normal when parked, but look fine when turned on...

We drive the car 'around town' mostly short distances, to/from work, grocery store, etc. No off roading, no towing, or anything else. Has around 165k miles.

Have begun to do some research, and it seems like swapping out the airbags for coils may be the preferred solution. I had the front struts and springs replaced about 2 years ago with lexus parts. It wasn't cheap, but was the only option at the time. In hindsight, seems like I could have gone with Bilstein shocks and lost the dampening control.

At any rate, what all is needed to keep the stock height but swap to coils? Anyone have experinece with this kit? Strutmasters

The other option(s) I found, seems like I could go with the Stage 1 kit from MetalTech (I dont fully understand the difference between the stage 1 and stage 2 kit, do I need the stage 2?), FJ cruiser springs, and a set of Bilstein 5100s.

3rd option would be to use the same Bilsteins above, with the Stage 3 kit from Metaltech.

Anyone have experience with these setups? Or have any other suggestions to offer? Not sure replacing the compressor, bags, and lines would be worth it at this time, thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by ste6168; 08-15-21 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-15-21, 07:27 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

That GX looks clean! Congrats!
The following 2 users liked this post by Davenlei:
BT3100 (08-16-21), TDYalden (08-18-21)
Old 08-15-21, 09:07 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Just toss in the Arnott air bags. Done.
No hassle, and remains "oem".

Does it actually need shocks?
Old 08-16-21, 12:22 PM
ste6168
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus4321
Just toss in the Arnott air bags. Done.
No hassle, and remains "oem".

Does it actually need shocks?
I think the problem with swapping to the arnott bags is my compressor is shot, also. So, I would also need to swap the compressor, otherwise the bags would be in the same state my OEM bags are now. Thats why I was thinking that swapping like the Metaltech stage 3 kit would be the way to go.

Not sure if it actually needs shocks, but figured for the cost, may as well have them swapped while we're in there.

Thanks!

Last edited by ste6168; 08-16-21 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-17-21, 02:17 PM
ste6168
Driver School Candidate

Following up on this, anyone have any experince with the metaltech stage 3 kit? On paper, seems like a good bit of kit. Just want to ensure I am not overloooking something.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-21, 05:51 AM
TDYalden
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the heads up!

Given the age of our vehicles, it's a safe bet that this is going to become a more and more frequent occurrence as time, heat, and mileage take their toll. As with you, I'm having some less than stellar results/performance from the rear suspension on my '05 GX (which is right at 199,9xx miles). I suspect I'll be replacing the airbags and shocks very soon. The only problem is, I just replaced the shocks with (supposedly) new, Toyota-branded shocks about a year ago ($350 pair) and the ride quality improved marginally. I also had Lexus put new airbags on about 3-years ago ($1,200) - ditto on the ride quality. Not having had a Lexus SUV before, I just figured riding like a log wagon was the lackluster experience one could expect. But now I'm thinking there's just no way it was designed to ride so rough.

Lexus wants $1,900 for the shocks and $1,200 for the airbags - insanely bloated prices, especially considering air-bladder suspension technology has been around since about the 1950's. Granted, $135 does seem quite a bit "inexpensive" for those bags/bladders; conversely, $1,200 is also insanely overpriced. This begs the question: where's that sweet spot pricing one would expect, to get a quality product that'll actually do the job? Does anyone have any insight on that note?

As an aside, are you going to upgrade your stereo system from the stock? The Mark Levinson sound system is mediocre at best. It took some time and digging (and $$$, of course), but I was able to upgrade the system to something that sounds phenomenally better without losing AC and navigation/maps.

Thanks, again!
BT3100 (08-22-21)
Old 08-19-21, 06:21 AM
nbharathi
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TDYalden
Thanks for the heads up!

Given the age of our vehicles, it's a safe bet that this is going to become a more and more frequent occurrence as time, heat, and mileage take their toll. As with you, I'm having some less than stellar results/performance from the rear suspension on my '05 GX (which is right at 199,9xx miles). I suspect I'll be replacing the airbags and shocks very soon. The only problem is, I just replaced the shocks with (supposedly) new, Toyota-branded shocks about a year ago ($350 pair) and the ride quality improved marginally. I also had Lexus put new airbags on about 3-years ago ($1,200) - ditto on the ride quality. Not having had a Lexus SUV before, I just figured riding like a log wagon was the lackluster experience one could expect. But now I'm thinking there's just no way it was designed to ride so rough.

Lexus wants $1,900 for the shocks and $1,200 for the airbags - insanely bloated prices, especially considering air-bladder suspension technology has been around since about the 1950's. Granted, $135 does seem quite a bit "inexpensive" for those bags/bladders; conversely, $1,200 is also insanely overpriced. This begs the question: where's that sweet spot pricing one would expect, to get a quality product that'll actually do the job? Does anyone have any insight on that note?

As an aside, are you going to upgrade your stereo system from the stock? The Mark Levinson sound system is mediocre at best. It took some time and digging (and $$$, of course), but I was able to upgrade the system to something that sounds phenomenally better without losing AC and navigation/maps.

Thanks, again!
Do you mind specifying which speakers and radio you replaced with. Thank you
Old 08-19-21, 07:31 AM
TDYalden
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I opted for the Alpine CDE-HD149BT. I liked the white dot-matrix display over the other Alpine units' displays - they just looked too dated, antiquated, and clunky to me. I added a Fosgate 12" DVC 2Ω sub (run in series), mounted in a sealed enclosure, and paired it with an inexpensive R500X1D Fosgate amp. I also did a full-sweep and replaced all the other drivers, too. It took just a little creative installing - fabricating a replacement ABS mounting bracket for the tweeters in the doors - and the rest I was able to either utilize the existing brackets and or purchase some adapters to allow for non-stock drivers in the doors, so it was pretty rudimentary. The most expensive component was the module that retained all the navigation and AC controls (linked below). Installing it was a relatively simple task. All I had to do was tie into the steering wheel controls with a Metra steering wheel control module.

Below is a list of all the components (I can recall) that you'd need, most of which I obtained off of Amazon. I think I purchased the headunit off of eBay. Just be aware, the mounting depth for the headunit is very shallow. I was barely able to get it mounted and reassemble the dash, and I mean to the tune of about 1/16th of an inch or so. But it fits!

Components:Aside from various components - 4-Ga. power/ground wire, power distribution blocks, terminals, etc. - that's about all I can think of you'd need to replace all of the speakers and hook up an amp/sub. But let me know if you have any questions or need anything else. I also have the wiring diagram for the factory amp (with and without RES), if you decide you want to bypass the factory amp under the driver's seat.

I had to zip tie the Beatsonic adapter to the steel rail in the dash on the passenger side as there simply wasn't enough space in the dash in the center console. I wrapped the wires using automotive (Tesa) tape. If you take this approach, just be mindful of the passenger-side airbag and any other electronics in this area (see bottom pictures)

Last edited by TDYalden; 08-21-21 at 02:21 PM.
IanB2 (08-19-21)
Old 08-19-21, 09:22 AM
Hog300
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is this part? What does it do? Located under driver's side rear quarter panel behind the wheel.
Old 08-19-21, 03:45 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ste6168
Following up on this, anyone have any experince with the metaltech stage 3 kit? On paper, seems like a good bit of kit. Just want to ensure I am not overloooking something.

Thanks!

I am having that kit installed next week.I know its probably not the best kit to install,but,I am not sure how long we are going to keep our 2004 GX which has 205k on it right now.Mileage is not the issue.Its the Blizzard White paint,the stock rims,and the cracked dash all showing its age.Our compressor and air bags are done.This kit has to be better than what we are dealing with now.Iwill let you know once its done.
Old 08-19-21, 06:32 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 745 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Hog300
What is this part? What does it do? Located under driver's side rear quarter panel behind the wheel.
That's the compressor for the air springs.

Chip H.
Old 08-21-21, 05:55 AM
mntntrls71
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

My entire springs and shocks have been swapped to ome. The ride is so much better than the air bags rode. I also tow and have no issues, Ditch the bags and all the parts that are prone to fail and dont look back.
Good luck
Old 08-21-21, 02:54 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,650 Likes on 2,389 Posts

This kit was $450 last year but see price has increased

https://www.1aauto.com/2003-09-toyot...t/i/1aasp00057

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Problems or Questions