GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Prestigious Society override and iPod install review

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 12:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Prestigious Society override and iPod install review

Recently installed (and hide) bunch of stuff on a 2008 GX470, including the navigation / video override as well as iPod / AV integration and distribution unit, all from Prestigious Society. It’s the first time I saw everything in actions together in details, and honestly I was quite impressed with how versatile the system is. Figured I’d post up some pictures and info.

Both override and iPod / video unit are completely plug and play with harnesses which is something I love. Installation was very straight forward, we spent most of the time finding a good easy spot for the iPod / video unit.

The override is pretty much what you expect, allowing you to access navigation menus when car is moving and enable video playback. I particularly like the buttons, which have a nice design and are LED lid so you can easily see the status. They are also pretty small, I was able to route the button to right by the steering column and it looks very factory. For around 300 bucks I think this unit is a no brainer (I have the same unit in all my Lexus too).

The iPod / video unit is where the fun begins. It has a lot of features and quite versatile
- iPod audio
- iPod video
- 2 AV inputs
- 2 video outputs (for rear screens)

For iPod audio it’s straight forward, it allows you to play songs through the factory audio system. It shows album name and track (it plays off album list).

For video playback, you have a lot of selection. You can play video from iPod/iPhone, either of the 2 AV inputs, or factory DVD changer (07-09 only). And the cool thing is, whatever video you playing up front, using the 2 video outputs the unit can distribute the video signals to those screens too. When driving, the front screen can go back to MAP screen if you want and rear screens will still play the video, all with audio through the factory audio system.

Initially I was thinking with so many video sources and screens, video quality might be jeopardized. But I was wrong. As you can see in the pictures, video quality is pretty darn good on the screen.

We ended up mounting the unit under the passenger front seat so it’s easy for AV cables

In any case, I was quite impressed with the results. Here’s the link to their website

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=281
http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138
Old 03-14-12, 03:23 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-14-12, 03:27 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the writeup Romin. Got your PM and emails btw, thanks for that too. What I cant tell is does this http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138 give you Ipod control too? Any idea what video options it would give me if I bought it for my LS430?
Old 03-14-12, 03:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Muti007
Thanks for the writeup Romin. Got your PM and emails btw, thanks for that too. What I cant tell is does this http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138 give you Ipod control too? Any idea what video options it would give me if I bought it for my LS430?
that's the navigation override unit, basically enable use of navigation when driving. it will also enable the video if it's already available. on your ls430 though it won't add anything by default. but if you say have ipod video input, then it can enable video when driving.

navigation override doesn't add ipod though. ipod and video input stuff are all meis
Old 03-14-12, 03:55 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Aaaargh!! I want to unlock my phone in motion and somehow get video in my LS now!
Old 03-14-12, 05:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Aaaargh!! I want to unlock my phone in motion and somehow get video in my LS now!
hahahhaa, do it! i have prestigious override in all my cars and everything has been perfect so far. on my ls460l and gs350, my wife always enjoyed the video when i was driving
Old 03-14-12, 05:34 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Ah, but do it with what is the question. Im still not sure Ive found a really clean, efficient way to do it on the LS as its a 4th gen nav system. Your GS, LS and my GX are all newer so easier to do these things on.
Old 03-15-12, 12:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Ah, but do it with what is the question. Im still not sure Ive found a really clean, efficient way to do it on the LS as its a 4th gen nav system. Your GS, LS and my GX are all newer so easier to do these things on.
prestigious society does have override for the ls430, i have done it before. vaistech has sl2vi which has ipod integration + ipod video
Old 03-15-12, 01:13 AM
Muti007
Advanced

See, for me, Ipod video aint the greatest. IT takes too much work to get your movies and other such content onto the Ipod in the first place. Ive got somewhere near 6-700 DVDs. Id have to find a program again to break the DRM on a movie, then rip it into MP4, load it into iTunes and finally load it onto my ipods and iphone. What a PITA! Thats why I didnt even add the Ipod video on the GX as Im more than happy enough with the 6 disc DVD changer I have now once its unblocked.

Theres the rub. I guess I could live with the Ipod being my only video source in one of the cars, but not at a cost of $400+, ending up with essentially a compromise in the end, and wasting the time and $$ Ive already put into the USA Spec unit and installation.

Decisions decisions.
Old 03-15-12, 01:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i hear you. especially you already have an ipod connection, selling that and "upgrading" to video ipod seems like quite expensive / troublesome. too bad lexus didn't start dvd video playback until 2007+ with gen5 systems
Old 03-17-12, 12:11 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Henry, can i do that for my 3gs? Where did u buy the rear DVD screen entertainment? I really wanna see how u install this... :/
Old 03-17-12, 12:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by masboy
Henry, can i do that for my 3gs? Where did u buy the rear DVD screen entertainment? I really wanna see how u install this... :/
yes you can, you just want to do it altogether, easier
Old 03-17-12, 12:44 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

so i can play dvd from the main screen and play it also in the rear screen as well?? boy i want that!!!

where did u buy the screen from? ebay?
Old 03-19-12, 08:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by masboy
so i can play dvd from the main screen and play it also in the rear screen as well?? boy i want that!!!

where did u buy the screen from? ebay?
yes you can. not on your gx, but your gs
Old 03-21-12, 12:01 PM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice setup Henry. Now I wished that my GX have Nav.

Quick Reply: Prestigious Society override and iPod install review