GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking at gx's

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-12, 08:16 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
more than that. 08 you get the chrome door handles as well, and i forgot since what year they got the graphite color wheels. you can think of 08 as a slight facelift.
Wheel color change was also in '08.
Old 03-25-12, 08:17 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
the op states he wants bluetooth..... what year did that start? My '04 certainly doesn't.
2005, together with the hp increase resulting from VVT-i and Gen 3 navigation.
Old 03-25-12, 10:51 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

All of the upgrades / changes are in the link I posted. Here it is again, itll show you every change between the model years.

http://www.toyota120.com/html/lexus_gx470.html
Old 03-25-12, 09:34 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice link, first time I have seen this.
Old 04-01-12, 11:35 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

We are having a ridiculously hard time finindig the right gx that fits our mileage color and year requirements, we have started looking at cayennes and touregs now to just because there are so many more of them
Old 04-01-12, 12:39 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

gx470 are great trucks, they just are either great or above average in every aspect - that's why i was almost willing to get rid of my beloved g35 coupe just to be able to get a great truck but lucky i did settle for an older model but with less than 50k miles at a great price but no navi - i installed easily an aftermarket system that is 2011 updated...

keep looking....
Old 04-01-12, 12:58 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Originally Posted by gray_es300
We are having a ridiculously hard time finindig the right gx that fits our mileage color and year requirements, we have started looking at cayennes and touregs now to just because there are so many more of them
You were insisting on a warranty when looking for the Lexus so I really really hope you are insisting on the a warranty for a Cayenne/Toureg -- maybe one of the most problematic platforms every put into serious mainstream production. With the V8 you need to drop the entire engine block to replace the alternator.

There is a reason why there are more used and cheaper VAG products on the marketplace and a similar opposite reason why there are so few GX's. You really have to compromise, like with colors, to get into this vehicle at the right price, and condition, because they don't take long to sell and they never made very many to start.

I won't be too concerned with a 100K miles warranty for the GX because mostly problems won't develop until after 100K miles. The 90K miles service, which runs at least a grand, isn't covered by warranty anyway.

I was able to add bluetooth to my 2004 factory navigation by using a GROM ipod/aux/BT adapter. This solution has worked well for me and is under $150 for all components.
Old 04-01-12, 01:03 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

well if you want to know the details...
the only great thing about mine was the low mileage, blizzard pearl... cons were no navi, no spoiler, 04...

i installed a spoiler, double din dvd nav, dvd headrests... and now i am so happy... keep lookin cuz it took me 2 years to finally buy this truck because i did wanted to keep my g35 coupe as well... gl
Old 04-01-12, 01:06 PM
EricGreen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z0lt3c
You were insisting on a warranty when looking for the Lexus so I really really hope you are insisting on the a warranty for a Cayenne/Toureg -- maybe one of the most problematic platforms every put into serious mainstream production. With the V8 you need to drop the entire engine block to replace the alternator.

There is a reason why there are more used and cheaper VAG products on the marketplace and a similar opposite reason why there are so few GX's. You really have to compromise, like with colors, to get into this vehicle at the right price, and condition, because they don't take long to sell and they never made very many to start.

I won't be too concerned with a 100K miles warranty for the GX because mostly problems won't develop until after 100K miles. The 90K miles service, which runs at least a grand, isn't covered by warranty anyway.

I was able to add bluetooth to my 2004 factory navigation by using a GROM ipod/aux/BT adapter. This solution has worked well for me and is under $150 for all components.
Well said. I would take a 100k mile Lexus over a 50k mile Cayenne and especially Toureg. Keep looking, I've found that there's quite a variation in price when looking at cars for sale across the country. I think you can have a car shipped basically anywhere in the lower 48 for $1000. It's worth it to shop nationally if you can save $5k on a vehicle.
Old 04-01-12, 02:33 PM
Nostics_RX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input, i know my way in and out of lexus' pretty well, gx' unfortunately are not my thing,]. Any input from owners would be great, we are looking at ones fron lexus dealerships because of the 3 year/ 100k mile warrantee.
I believe the 05 GX will not qualify for CPO, I could be wrong. The oldest one I found was a CPO 2006 GX Silver on Gray interior here in Dallas. If you're looking for something very specific, you may have to go out of state to increase your chance of finding the exact used GX you're looking for.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-12, 04:51 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^ I know what we would be getting into with a toureg or cayenne, and yes they would be under warranty until 100k miles as well from the dealership. I know the reliability factor for the lexus as well as we have owned several. We are just looking around. The 05 does not qualify and has become a pre-auction car. I have also looked across most of the midwest, and western new york. I have looked as far as columbus, there just not many out there that fit color, mileage, and year. This is actually our second time looking at touregs and cayennes. The first time was back in in 2004, but we got an LX470 instead. Also in the running is an acura MDX, but i do not know if i can get over the looks of the thing.
Old 04-01-12, 05:51 PM
clubsport
Pole Position

mdx cayenne toureg - if i ever even considered one of these i would've done bought an rx350

if ya needin a 3rd row go and look at - sequoia pilot gx470 etc

i think you're lookin in the wrong category of trucks...
Old 04-01-12, 08:55 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Already own an RX350, third row would be nice, but not all that necessary. MDX has a third row just so you know. Not a fan of the pilot, the sequoia is to big, not a fan of the tahoe, i trust porsche more then a volvo xc90, so thats out. The touaregs and cayennes came up because they are jsut an SUV my mom likes and theres a few of them around. Like i said,availability has a lot to do with it right now, before we were looking at ml's, and coming from someone who has always loved mercedes, i'm really not a fan.
Old 04-02-12, 11:15 AM
clubsport
Pole Position

i see... so ur just up in the air for something nice...
i like mercedes, sedans and coupes both, but not their suv... too ugly... i had a clk430 that i was hard pressed to let go but when i saw the g35 coupe i said well it's a small compromise... haha

well if i didn't have lots of extended families and relatives i would've gotten a 2010+ rx350 cuz that ride just cannot be any better in terms of ergonomics and plush ride... and it looks good too...

gl
Old 04-02-12, 12:27 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

We were looking at highlanders and traverses and enclaves, but those cars with the options we want, come out close to cars from lexus, bmw, mercedes, ect. Same case as the landcruiser, so its hard not to justify a few grand more for a better made car with a better warranty and better customer service.

Quick Reply: Looking at gx's