GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

more towing success w/ GX

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-12, 06:46 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default more towing success w/ GX

I launched my 20' bowrider for the first time, this season, using the Gx470. I haul the boat long distances with an F150 but I use the GX to tow it locally, launch and recover as needed. I've previously used a Suburban, Explorer and Xterra in this role.

The Gx did not disappoint. I am was able to use the backup camera and suspension set to low, and then raising it to high, to hitch up the trailer without even exiting the vehicle. I had no problem pulling the boat over the hills around the lake, nor did it struggle to launch or recover the boat from the water. In the Xterra I would need to use 4WD low for this, but the Gx did not loose traction with just the basic 4WD high setting. My curt hitch and factory wiring hookup all operated without flaw. It's a very solid tow vehicle.

Old 05-28-12, 05:38 PM
PDubs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like some tips since I plan to do the same at the end of the season...

1. You mentioned keeping it in 4WD H the entire time, did you use the axle lock button first? I was planning to axle lock and use 4WD L to retrieve/launch and then disengage axle lock and move it to 4WD H for normal in-town towing
2. Did you put the rear tires in the water? If so, did you weigh the rear down with anything to prevent slippage?
Old 05-28-12, 07:57 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PDubs

1. You mentioned keeping it in 4WD H the entire time, did you use the axle lock button first? I was planning to axle lock and use 4WD L to retrieve/launch and then disengage axle lock and move it to 4WD H for normal in-town towing
2. Did you put the rear tires in the water? If so, did you weigh the rear down with anything to prevent slippage?
I've pulled my boat out of some really hairy saltwater ramps @ low tide -- a few times w/the trailer off the ramp, on a slippery ramp. Not once have I needed to do anything but gently throttle-out in Drive. The torsen diff w/limited-slip rear does an amazing job.
Old 05-28-12, 08:29 PM
PDubs
Rookie

You mean just normal everyday 4WD H? We have a 27' boat, dual axle trailer so I was assuming to use as much as I could to retrieve.
Old 05-28-12, 09:14 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

My launch is a sandy beach type surface into a fresh water lake. Depending on the water level, the rear wheels can be in the water, but with this weekends conditions, the rear wheels are about 1 foot ahead of the water line.

I was all excited to use the traction features of the vehicle; 4WD LO and Center diff lock. But I had no problem pulling the boat in or out just w/ the standard drive (4wd HI) setting and no center lock engaged. The auto leveling also compensated nicely for the ramp angle.

Your boat is much larger and heavier then mine, so YMMV -- but it's nice to know you have the traction options at your disposable should standard setting be insufficient.
Old 05-29-12, 06:11 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree the GX is s solid tow vehicle. The leveling suspension helps keep the vehicle weight distributed properly.

I have towed my boat (21' center console w/single outboard, dual axel trailer) from MD to OBX NC and back twice, with a full truck, without an issue. I could definitely feel the weight back there, but the GX could accelerate and stop without issue.
Old 05-29-12, 06:16 AM
cssnms
Racer

Your GX is already all-time 4 wheel drive, so there is no need to shift into low or lock the hubs. My truck had NO issue what so ever pulling my 21' 8'6" beam center console up the boat ramp. Put your truck in gear and pull it out, simple as that. DO NOT tow in "D" though because your overdrive planetary gear is not designed for towing. Read your manual before towing any distance.

Depending on your ramp, trailer set-up and tide, you should not need to put your tires in the water. Back your boat up until the back half is in the water and floating a little, then disengage the wench and push her off.
Old 05-29-12, 06:18 AM
cssnms
Racer

You mean just normal everyday 4WD H? We have a 27' boat, dual axle trailer so I was assuming to use as much as I could to retrieve.
Assuming it's not a pontoon boat, that sounds like a heafty boat for the GX. What kind of boat and how much does it weigh w/trailer?
Old 05-29-12, 07:55 AM
PDubs
Rookie

Thanks for the tips as I'm a newbie to the GX and still learning. The boat + trailer is right around 6000 lbs (Baja 272, single engine). Assuming we fill it with gas, we will be at or near the limit. We have only launched and retrieved once each with friends and we got the trailer fenders in the water to the point where the boat was floating. When we borrowed a friend's SUV, her rear tires were in the water but she had an AWD Mercedes and it seemed to handle well.

We are not planning long trips with the boat. Only in/out of the water and around town (< 30 miles) for seasonal servicing and occasional gas.
Old 05-29-12, 10:33 AM
cssnms
Racer

Thanks for the tips as I'm a newbie to the GX and still learning. The boat + trailer is right around 6000 lbs (Baja 272, single engine). Assuming we fill it with gas, we will be at or near the limit. We have only launched and retrieved once each with friends and we got the trailer fenders in the water to the point where the boat was floating. When we borrowed a friend's SUV, her rear tires were in the water but she had an AWD Mercedes and it seemed to handle well.

We are not planning long trips with the boat. Only in/out of the water and around town (< 30 miles) for seasonal servicing and occasional gas.
You are probably pushing closer to 7000lbs w/fuel. The GX will likely do the job of launching and pulling your boat from the water, but that's A LOT of boat for the GX. I would HIGHLY advise against towing your boat on the road anywhere. While the GX may seem like it can pull your boat fine, that's only part of the equation. You would be taking a big risk when it comes to stopping your truck with that load. The GX's brakes just aren't up to the task of stopping that much weight esp if you had to stop quickly (the GX is under braked as it is). Not to mention at that weight and depending on the tongue weight of the trailer w/boat you run the risk of damaging the rear leveling air suspension.
Old 05-29-12, 10:55 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
You are probably pushing closer to 7000lbs w/fuel. The GX will likely do the job of launching and pulling your boat from the water, but that's A LOT of boat for the GX. I would HIGHLY advise against towing your boat on the road anywhere. While the GX may seem like it can pull your boat fine, that's only part of the equation. You would be taking a big risk when it comes to stopping your truck with that load. The GX's brakes just aren't up to the task of stopping that much weight esp if you had to stop quickly (the GX is under braked as it is). Not to mention at that weight and depending on the tongue weight of the trailer w/boat you run the risk of damaging the rear leveling air suspension.
I have a Bayliner Ciera 2655 (26') and empty she sits at 6,370 on the curb. Fill her with fuel and gear and shes over 7,200.

Pdubs, I would bet you are WAY over your GVWR. Thats not really a problem for short distances, but if you get into an accident your insurance would have a field day. As stated, PLEASE be very careful. My GVWR is 8,000, with 3:92 gearing, Torsen LSD, and a 390hp V8 and I am pushing it with this boat. For what I am doing, I ALMOST need a 3/4 ton Ram.

My Ram pulls my load fine, had to add helper airbags to keep the coil springs from collapsing under the weight though (anything over 400lbs tongue weight and you are almost on the bumpstops in these trucks). But physically pulling the 7,000+lb monster is a pretty boring experience overall. Just the way it should be. As small as a GX is, I would almost be afraid to tow something this size or bigger very far with it. 27' is, simply put, a MASSIVE boat. Its a foot longer than mine, and probably a good 6 inches wider. Is your trailer a wide hauler? That is, does your boat ride low in between the wheels on the trailer, or high over the top of them? I have a wide hauler E-Z loader that came with it, and before that my previous boat had a high-loader and the wide-hauler makes all the difference in the world in towing. Much more stable and lowers the center of gravity significantly.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 05-29-12 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-29-12, 01:14 PM
PDubs
Rookie

Appreciate the concerns here, would like to know anything I can do to make this safer with the GX. I think the first order of business as I read around some more is to upgrade the brakes to Tundras. Curious how much that will cost. Also, I have exact weights from when my brother-in-law towed the boat down, as well as from Nada Guides and Heritage trailers. It was actually his boat we purchased and he stopped by a weigh station to get the weight measured for registration IIRC.

Weigh station weight (measured, near empty tank): 5980 lbs

This is compared to:

Nada guides weight (boat only): 4400 lbs
Heritage trailer weight (trailer only): 1500 lbs
Gas (100 gal tank): 600 lbs

I believe the trailer is a wide one given the fact that we had to use the trailer button on the boat to raise the lower unit off the ground for clearance. Before we did that (almost a big oops), the prop was about 4" off the ground. At a full tank, my understanding is we hit the limit of the GX but my wife and I do not fill the boat completely as the extra fuel weighs us down. Believe me when I say I wanted to get a truck just for towing, but the all-in-one solution was more appealing (dog transport/boat towing).

Apologies to the OP, did not mean to turn this into a discussion about trying to achieve my own towing success.
Old 05-29-12, 01:23 PM
PDubs
Rookie

Forgot to ask, is there a way to calculate tongue weight for the rear suspension?
Old 05-29-12, 02:37 PM
cssnms
Racer

Keep in mind the 5,980 lb weight excludes the weight of occupants and cargo in your truck. Add another 600lbs for 4 passengers, and at least another 60lbs (probably light) for cargo. Add more fuel into the mix and you're well over the GVWR and rght back to that 7000 lb mark.

In all honestly I think you are barking up the wrong tree by upgrading brakes on your GX. It just is not designed to tow that kind of load. Even if you upgrade the brakes there is not much you can do about the chasis which factors into the max GVWR rating system. If you plan to tow your boat beyond just launching and retrieving it, get a 3/4 ton truck for that, otherwise you are gambling with yours', your passenger's and other motorists safety.

As for the tongue weight, you can measure that by putting your trailr with your boat on a scale. Ideally, your tonque weight should be around 10% of your load which means in your case around 600lbs and that's assuming your trailer is set-up properly. Something else to consider is the maximum tongue weight for the GX and your current hitch set-up, which is why you should read the owner's manual for both.
Old 06-01-12, 10:09 AM
sprocket
Pit Crew

Starting to sound like THT around here

I've been towing with my 2004 GX a little over 3 years now. Up until a month ago I was pulling a 22' Sea Pro CC which hit the scale just over 5,000lbs with no gear but about 3/4 tank of gas. I just sold the boat and a few weeks ago pulled an 18' Grady White from Charleston to Orlando. It pulled like there was nothing back there.

Quick Reply: more towing success w/ GX