GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Water pump leaking...new timing belt too?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-12, 05:48 AM
goombah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump leaking...new timing belt too?

Hey guys-

I have a CPO 2007 GX that's currently under the knife at the dealership because of a leaking water pump (67k miles). In my relief that it was being covered under warranty, I neglected to ask my SA if that would include a new timing belt as well. Does anyone know what would get replaced along with a timing belt? I tried searching, but everything I found dealt with the timing belt service as opposed to just a water pump. Naturally any of us that were changing a pump would do the belt while in there, but what about the dealer?

Thanks!!
Mike
Old 07-22-12, 06:30 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by goombah
Hey guys-

I have a CPO 2007 GX that's currently under the knife at the dealership because of a leaking water pump (67k miles). In my relief that it was being covered under warranty, I neglected to ask my SA if that would include a new timing belt as well. Does anyone know what would get replaced along with a timing belt? I tried searching, but everything I found dealt with the timing belt service as opposed to just a water pump. Naturally any of us that were changing a pump would do the belt while in there, but what about the dealer?

Thanks!!
Mike
I would insist on it. You would probably only have to pay for the belt.
Old 07-22-12, 08:09 AM
ELITech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,

Anytime that I come across a leaking water pump, whether it be an ES, RX, GX, IS, GS, etc.., I always recommend a timing belt. While in most cases, the coolant usually crusts before reaching the belt, it is a good suggestion to replace the belt. For one, the belt has to be removed in the first place to remove the pump. Second, if CPO doesn't cover the cost of the belt, then you're just paying for the part.

However, since it has been a while since I have done a CPO warranty repair for a water-pump, I am only 90% positive that it covers the belt being replaced as well.
Old 07-22-12, 10:48 AM
goombah
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies I will call them first thing in the morning and hope that either they did it already or started with the CV boots and didn't finish the water pump yet.
Old 07-23-12, 05:22 PM
sprocket
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CV boots at 67K along with the water pump? Any comments from others on both repairs being needed with so few miles?
Old 07-24-12, 11:55 AM
MSGX470
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

NOT replacing the timing belt when doing the water pump is complete insanity, I would be shocked if the dealer did not replace the belt.
Old 07-25-12, 05:35 PM
ELITech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,

Any update on what they did?
Old 07-26-12, 05:34 AM
goombah
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the delay, been getting ready for a vacation As luck would have it, they went ahead and did the t-belt. I was charged for parts, but that seemed totally fair to me. Nonetheless, the way it was phrased to me, the service advisor was the impetus for changing the belt, I definitely wouldn't take it for granted that they would replace it. Thanks guys!
Old 07-27-12, 07:00 AM
empinball
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the T-belt replaced when the local Toyota dealer replaced my water pump. They presented it to my like this "you can pay $58 for the belt now or $600 to come back when I hit 90K miles". Although the belt was replaced about 12K miles ahead of schedule, it was well worth it.
Old 08-12-12, 10:40 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by goombah
Sorry for the delay, been getting ready for a vacation As luck would have it, they went ahead and did the t-belt. I was charged for parts, but that seemed totally fair to me. Nonetheless, the way it was phrased to me, the service advisor was the impetus for changing the belt, I definitely wouldn't take it for granted that they would replace it. Thanks guys!
Mike,
I just ran into the same thing: leaking water pump that's going to be covered under warranty, which is great!
The question I have is what you ended up paying for the timing belt delta. The dealer called me and said something along the lines of:
- water pump is under warranty (great)
- timing belt change is much cheaper while we're in there. I think they quoted 600 instead of 1200. Does this sound insane? What additional work is necessary when you already have the thing dismantled to do the water pump? What kind of leverage do you guys think I have?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 08-12-12, 11:50 AM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Mike,
I just ran into the same thing: leaking water pump that's going to be covered under warranty, which is great!
The question I have is what you ended up paying for the timing belt delta. The dealer called me and said something along the lines of:
- water pump is under warranty (great)
- timing belt change is much cheaper while we're in there. I think they quoted 600 instead of 1200. Does this sound insane? What additional work is necessary when you already have the thing dismantled to do the water pump? What kind of leverage do you guys think I have?

Thanks,
Scott
They quoted you $600 additional to also do the timing belt while they were doing the water pump? Someone's trying to work you over - ask them to show you the charges before doing any work.
Old 08-12-12, 12:00 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cdew002
They quoted you $600 additional to also do the timing belt while they were doing the water pump? Someone's trying to work you over - ask them to show you the charges before doing any work.
what is a fair charge for the delta?
Old 08-12-12, 04:52 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
what is a fair charge for the delta?
The cost of the belt and maybe fifteen minutes/half hour labor sounds fair.
Old 08-12-12, 08:41 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A typical parts kit for the complete Timing belt and Water pump service is around $450 using OE parts. The cost of the water pump alone is about $140, so it's conceivable that parts could be an additional $300 or so, if the job includes all the recommended replacements in addition to pump. As for labor, since the belt comes on or off either way, your only looking at the labor involved with those extra items, that cannot be more then 1 to 2 hours. At $110/hr that would be another $220 or an additional 500-600 at Lexus stealer-ship prices. It all depends on what they are comping you and what your out of pocket is getting.
Old 08-12-12, 09:20 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by z0lt3c
A typical parts kit for the complete Timing belt and Water pump service is around $450 using OE parts. The cost of the water pump alone is about $140, so it's conceivable that parts could be an additional $300 or so, if the job includes all the recommended replacements in addition to pump. As for labor, since the belt comes on or off either way, your only looking at the labor involved with those extra items, that cannot be more then 1 to 2 hours. At $110/hr that would be another $220 or an additional 500-600 at Lexus stealer-ship prices. It all depends on what they are comping you and what your out of pocket is getting.
Thank you, this helps. If I'm reading correctly, you're saying that the timing belt needs to be removed to replace the water pump? If this is true, then their bid is outrageous. You can buy the whole timing-belt+tensioners+water-pump kit from sewell for $350. The belt & tensioners can't be more than 50% of that price.

Quick Reply: Water pump leaking...new timing belt too?