GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lower-profile roof-top antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 06:32 AM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lower-profile roof-top antenna?

Hey guys. I'm wondering if anyone else has replaced the rubber antenna on the roof with something of a lower profile. If so, what did you get? My issue is that we are using the roof rack a ton these days. (I swear that we're single-handedly keeping Thule in business). Anyways, that stupid antenna is always getting in the way of the cargo box and the paddleboard rack. I'm wondering if there is something that will screw into the existing mount that's parallel or below the level of the crossbars.
Old 09-10-12, 09:07 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

huh, my 2006 doesn't have one. is that something that came with later model years with sat. radio? or perhaps aftermarket?
Old 09-10-12, 09:35 AM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlairC
huh, my 2006 doesn't have one. is that something that came with later model years with sat. radio? or perhaps aftermarket?
Ah, after some more research, it looks like this was for the old analog-based Lexus Link system that went out of service years ago (though still annoys me every time I turn it on, as it insists that it is still active). My rig is a 2003. For some reason, I thought that the little antenna was for the GPS. Now I can just unscrew it when it's obstructing the cargo box. Here is a picture in case anyone is interested. The paddleboard sits well above it but it's right in the way with the Thule box.
Attached Thumbnails Lower-profile roof-top antenna?-20120910122724.jpg  
Old 09-10-12, 10:58 AM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Super interesting stuff. According to this post from Lexus you should be able to have the system disabled:

http://www.lexus.com/models/allModel...k_changes.html

If it were my truck I would go in and ask they remove the system/screen/etc and see if they have an a little blank you can screw onto the antenna.

Upcoming changes to First-Generation Lexus Link® ServiceDue to the growth and acceptance of digital cellular systems, many cellular carriers have abandoned analog coverage in favor of digital service. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled that cellular telephone companies operating in the United States are no longer required to provide analog service after February 2008. As a result, beginning January 1, 2008, Lexus Link service in the U.S. and Canada will only be available through vehicles equipped with dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment.

Since the First-Generation Lexus Link system uses analog cellular technology and cannot be modified to digital operation, Lexus has approved a no-charge program for owners of model year 2001-2004 vehicles who discontinue Lexus Link service. Lexus will disable the Lexus Link system and remove the button panel from the vehicle at no cost. Owners are encouraged to visit an authorized Lexus dealer for more information.

Current Customers
Lexus understands that some customers will be inconvenienced by the effects of this FCC decision. Lexus will contact current Lexus Link subscribers in fall 2006 with more details on the options available to them.

Vehicles Not Currently Enrolled
In order to address the upcoming discontinuation of analog cellular-based Lexus Link service, the following policy changes will be implemented:
- Effective July 24, 2006 - Lexus Link will stop enrolling new subscribers except those who start service on a vehicle with previous Lexus Link service.
- Effective January 1, 2007 - Lexus Link will no longer enroll new subscribers. Current customers can continue to renew through December 31, 2007 but must re-enroll within 45 days of their service expiration date.

These changes are designed to minimize the inconvenience to Lexus customers.

IMPORTANT: These changes only impact analog cellular-based Lexus Link systems offered on certain Lexus vehicles in model year 2001 through 2004. Current Lexus Link systems (model year 2006 and later) use dual-mode analog/digital cellular and are not affected by this decision.