GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DIY Spark Plugs 04 GX 470

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-17, 10:03 PM
FlexyLexi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a GX470 from the original owner with 216k miles. He had all the service records from the dealer (90 pages!), and I couldn't find any evidence of the plugs ever having been changed . So, I decided I better do it. I went with the NGK iridium IX which was ~$7 a plug. There are more expensive iridium plugs but who knows what the difference between "laser" and "IX" is. Everything went pretty smoothly. Only tip I have is it would probably be slightly easier with a cool engine...I was playing hot potato with the plugs and plug wrench lol!
Old 09-05-17, 09:23 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FlexyLexi
Just bought a GX470 from the original owner with 216k miles. He had all the service records from the dealer (90 pages!), and I couldn't find any evidence of the plugs ever having been changed . So, I decided I better do it. I went with the NGK iridium IX which was ~$7 a plug. There are more expensive iridium plugs but who knows what the difference between "laser" and "IX" is. Everything went pretty smoothly. Only tip I have is it would probably be slightly easier with a cool engine...I was playing hot potato with the plugs and plug wrench lol!
I was amazed that the spark plugs last so long for the rig. I had my original ones replaced for the 1st time recently at about 215K miles when I had my timing belt done. Most of the mileage are freeway miles so not sure if that help with the longevity.
Old 09-05-17, 05:46 PM
FlexyLexi
Driver School Candidate

Mine seemed to be in decent shape too. Still probably a good idea to change them more frequently-you don't want them to get seized in the engine block!
Old 10-03-17, 08:33 AM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just replaced my plugs last night. Took me about 2.5 hours to complete. I took my time doing it and wasn't in any hurry. I cleaned up all the connectors and added dielectric grease for a nice, secure connection. The original plugs were NGK laser Iridium's. I replaced them withDenso SK20R11. When I first started up the car it started revving up high around 2.5k RPMs and started to fluctuate from low to high. I thought I broke something. Eventually it settled down around 1k. I took it for a little spin and it seemed a little peppier. I also cleaned out the throttle body while I had the intake off. One less task for me to complete.
Old 10-10-17, 06:23 AM
bkingsle8
10th Gear

Nice write up - OEM plugs is the way to go (NGK/Denso)! Definitely do this on a cool engine, if the heads are hot, and the plug threads are softer, you run an increased risk of cross-threading them if inserted wrong.
Old 08-23-20, 10:51 AM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Here is my experience:

Old 09-02-20, 01:58 PM
BCriss
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Spark Plug and Coil On Cyl 5 Looks Nasty

Hello All,

I have used this forum for several years but first time posting. First off thank you to all of the dedicated posters who have written DIY's! I finally got around to doing the spark plugs today and came across this coil pack and spark plug which are severely discolored. It seems like the plug may have been loose for quite a while. Should I change out the coil or try to clean it up and properly torque the new plug. The spark plug hole on #5 is also severely discolored.

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-02-20, 02:12 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 750 Likes on 614 Posts

If the threads are clean, I would go ahead and thread a new plug in there by hand until it bottoms out and is snug. Only then would I whip out the torque wrench.

If you aren't getting misfire codes set, you could keep using that coil pack. But I hate the sight of it and would replace it, personally.

Was the old plug wet with oil? If so, time to replace the spark plug tube seals and valve cover gaskets.

Chip H.
Old 09-02-20, 02:21 PM
BCriss
Driver School Candidate

Plug and Coil pack were dry but coated with dark brown dust...
Old 09-02-20, 02:34 PM
BCriss
Driver School Candidate

I got the plug snugged hand tight. It did seem much more loose than the other plugs on that bank.
Old 09-03-20, 06:36 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

I'd maybe put that coilpack on a cylinder that's easy to reach, in the event it does cause misfire codes in the future so it's easy to swap out for a new one. With any luck you'll even notice a performance/economy increase with the sparkplug being tight in the head, lol.
Old 09-03-20, 07:46 AM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Check out using the NGK G plugs.

Works fine for me, I replace plugs at about 75kmi, about to be on my 3rd set. And over 224kmi (2006) I have used all types of gas.

NGK 7092 BKR6EGP G-Power
Old 09-03-20, 08:21 AM
BCriss
Driver School Candidate

I was able to torque the spark plug to 17.5 Nm and cleaned up the coil pack as best as I could. Seems to run much smoother now. I always heard a slight tick and I'm wondering if that wasn't a tiny amount of compression blowing by the loose plug.
The following 2 users liked this post by BCriss:
chiph9 (09-03-20), IanB2 (09-03-20)
Old 10-05-20, 10:09 AM
DMV703
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark Plugs replaced - Window switches no longer working?

Hey All,

I replaced my spark plugs over the weekend using these instructions: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-gx-470-a.html

Everything went smoothly but after putting everything back together and starting the car, the drivers side window switches aren't working. I can open my drivers side window and the sun roof seems to be working (although the auto open/stop isn't) but I cant operate any of the other 3 windows with the drivers side switches. Only the individual door switches for each window.

Anyone have an idea as to why this may have happened? I did leave the drivers side window down when I originally disconnected the battery to work on the car (to reach inside and grab tools etc.).

ALSO secondary note: I'm replacing my rear shocks soon. one of my rear height sensors is malfunctioning and I'm wondering if its worth replacing the sensor or just doing the coil conversion when I do the shocks? Lexus wants $700 to do the sensor. Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-20, 11:30 AM
NEPAKevin
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DMV703
Hey All,

I replaced my spark plugs over the weekend using these instructions: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-gx-470-a.html

Everything went smoothly but after putting everything back together and starting the car, the drivers side window switches aren't working. I can open my drivers side window and the sun roof seems to be working (although the auto open/stop isn't) but I cant operate any of the other 3 windows with the drivers side switches. Only the individual door switches for each window.

Anyone have an idea as to why this may have happened? I did leave the drivers side window down when I originally disconnected the battery to work on the car (to reach inside and grab tools etc.).

ALSO secondary note: I'm replacing my rear shocks soon. one of my rear height sensors is malfunctioning and I'm wondering if its worth replacing the sensor or just doing the coil conversion when I do the shocks? Lexus wants $700 to do the sensor. Thoughts?

Thanks.
Anytime the battery is disconnected, the windows have to be reprogrammed/reinitiated. Procedure is in the manual and there are lots of videos on youtube, etc. as well as threads on this forum on how to do this. Short version is you go to each window and the sunroof and run them all the way down and all the way back up. Has something to do with setting the auto up/down feature("I don't know tech stuff"). Sometimes the window vent shades I have interferes with this and I have to hold them out until the window goes all the way up.

Quick Reply: DIY Spark Plugs 04 GX 470