GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What mods have you done to your GX? Share your photos

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-13, 10:55 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
1.25" wheel spacers

You're right though, i prefer the GX with a wider stance.
Of course this is the case with all Toyota across the board. Spacers are not really the safest solution and I kind of want to keep the mpg as best I can. Wider wheels make for a better look and better traction but takes from mpg.
Old 04-24-13, 11:29 AM
Vims
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
O Wider wheels make for a better look and better traction but takes from mpg.
is there any stats on this subj? Never really thought about that, personally i like wider "boots", but mpg makes me thoughtfull :-)
Old 04-24-13, 11:43 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Vims
is there any stats on this subj? Never really thought about that, personally i like wider "boots", but mpg makes me thoughtfull :-)
The same size tire mounted on an 8" wide wheel vs. a 7" wide wheel for example, will have more tread in contact with the road, not by a lot, but a little bit. The wider wheel will also measure a bit less in circumference than the narrower wheel with the same size tire mounted due to the way the sidewall flexes with the change in wheel width, so there will be a small difference in final gearing of the truck as well. These 2 changes will work against each other (more rolling resistance but shorter gearing with the wider wheel), so the overall change should be minimal.

A wheel with a lower offset will push the barrel of the wheel in relation to the face of the wheel towards the outside of the vehicle, taking with it the tire, and widening the stance of the vehicle with no required increase in wheel width (there may also be wider wheels available in lower offsets though). Widening the stance by way of spacers or lower offset wheels (with no other changes to tire size or wheel width) should have minimal effect on fuel economy, possibly some additonal wind resistance but again, minimal change.

Going to wider tires will certainly affect your fuel economy negatively. Going to taller tires of the same width will affect your fuel economy negatively as well, due to the gearing change and additonal weight of the taller tire.
Old 04-26-13, 10:06 AM
Vims
Rookie

Originally Posted by IanB2
Going to wider tires will certainly affect your fuel economy negatively. Going to taller tires of the same width will affect your fuel economy negatively as well, due to the gearing change and additonal weight of the taller tire.
Good to know, thanks for the info. Most likely i will not feel the _real_ difference unless I own a tire shop and test all possible variations :-)
thanks again
Old 04-26-13, 12:33 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Of course this is the case with all Toyota across the board. Spacers are not really the safest solution and I kind of want to keep the mpg as best I can. Wider wheels make for a better look and better traction but takes from mpg.
I would love to get spacers on my GX for the looks since it is cheap and I like my stock gunmetal wheels. But their safety concerns me, especially hearing from some knowledgeable folks at ih8mud forum. But there are some exceptions and people have found no issues with it...
Old 04-26-13, 11:36 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Matsui
I would love to get spacers on my GX for the looks since it is cheap and I like my stock gunmetal wheels. But their safety concerns me, especially hearing from some knowledgeable folks at ih8mud forum. But there are some exceptions and people have found no issues with it...
I dunno I wouldn't. I have had spacers on my last two cars no real issues that I knew about but they were not a full time 4x4.
Old 04-27-13, 01:21 AM
mordick
Driver School Candidate

It's my ex Toyota Land Cruiser 120.
It had exclusive interior. Audio modification and extra sound insulation.

Old 04-27-13, 06:54 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

^ --- Love it
Old 04-27-13, 07:31 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

That grey leather interior is HOT! Love the steering wheel! And that center console w/ storage bin and armrest, I'd LOVE a way to get that in our GX...
Old 04-27-13, 10:44 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

The arm rest storage in that prado makes our GX arm rests a sin.
Old 04-27-13, 03:34 PM
Vims
Rookie

The arm rest storage in that prado makes our GX arm rests a sin.
yup - Japanoid is Japanoind :-) no questions about that. I am "enjoying" a cap holder instead
Old 04-27-13, 08:28 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

yup - Japanoid is Japanoind :-) no questions about that. I am "enjoying" a cap holder instead
A cap holder?
Old 04-28-13, 09:11 AM
Vims
Rookie

A cap holder?
sorry typo :-) cup holder of course
Old 04-28-13, 03:24 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

sorry typo :-) cup holder of course
It looks like there is 2 cupholders right at the base of the armrest console, same place as ours are. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me.
Old 04-29-13, 11:28 AM
Vims
Rookie

It looks like there is 2 cupholders right at the base of the armrest console, same place as ours are. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me.
yes you right, but yours is kind of hidden , i did not even noted them,

Quick Reply: What mods have you done to your GX? Share your photos